Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look

Cool post, but I'm not nearly as excited about our RB's as you are. The rest is pretty much spot on.
Not so much excited about this group, but Miami probably had the worst running back room in the NFL last year.

Gaskin was the top back in 2021. No offense to him, but he could be the 4th or 5th best on this year's squad. I think White might be better.

If Mostert can stay healthy, this could be a middle of the pack group or a little better.

Cool post, but I'm not nearly as excited about our RB's as you are. The rest is pretty much spot on.
I agree. Must be difficult getting excited with the new RB unit after last seasons 30th rushing rated group eh? Guess we all spoilt watching those 3yd runs.

Besides receiving out of the backfield, which he does well, not sure Gaskin adds much else.

I applaud him for what he’s done, will undoubtedly root for him to continue his career (in the NFC).

But we are at a point in our history where we have championship aspirations and there can’t be any emotional attachment to average players.

Don’t me wrong, he’s more than qualified to be a third stringer but with his salary, he doesn’t make sense for us. You never know how things might go with injuries so he’s not going to be released tomorrow or anything.

Last edited:
Not so much excited about this group, but Miami probably had the worst running back room in the NFL last year.

Gaskin was the top back in 2021. No offense to him, but he could be the 4th or 5th best on this year's squad. I think White might be better.

If Mostert can stay healthy, this could be a middle of the pack group or a little better.

1. Signed three new (more talented) RBs and a FB.
2. Drastically improved OL.
3. Added the most dangerous player in the NFL.
4. Hired a new head coach with a reputation for being a running game guru.

Even without No.1, any one of 2, 3 or 4 on my list would be enough to expect a measurable upgrade over last years RB situation. Now consider that all of those things happened.

Not really. Smells like a lot more production.

Edmonds and Mostert have talent and speed. Michel is solid.

Injuries might be a concern but your way off in that comparison to those JAGs.

Also consider our new head coach is a running game guru
Breida had speed, Jordan Howard had a couple of big years as well. Not sure if Edmonds or Mostert have the track records get back to their best years, esp given Mostert's injury. So while the specifics differ, it is glass-half full thinking to say that this group is sure to greatly outperform the other group. Point is in both cases we failed to sign a sure-fire #1 back.

But I agree the X factor is McDaniel, hence "in McDaniel I trust". So I actually agree overall they will be better.

Last edited:
1. Signed three new (more talented) RBs and a FB.
2. Drastically improved OL.
3. Added the most dangerous player in the NFL.
4. Hired a new head coach with a reputation for being a running game guru.

Even without No.1, any one of 2, 3 or 4 on my list would be enough to expect a measurable upgrade over last years RB situation. Now consider that all of those things happened.
Right. If Miami goes from 30ish to around 15 in running that is a major upgrade.

I absolutely love Mostert, by far and away my favorite RB we added.

Edmonds and Sony are welcome additions but both have underdelivered for the teams that originally took them. Sony has actually been decent, was he 1st round value decent though??? Probably not, but he runs hard and is a good blocker.

Edmonds (my least favorite addition) has only cracked 500 yards once in 4 seasons and I was puzzled we gave him so much money but we can cut him after this year for basicly no penalty so its okay. Maybe he will shine with this scheme but I wouldn't be surprised if he's buried on the depth chart by years end.

If Mostert stays healthy, which has always been his problem, we could have a 1,000 yard rusher in 22. He's explosive and can do it all out there. I wish we could swap the contracts between Edmonds and Mostert. Mostert signed a 1 year deal, I'd like to have him for a couple years.

I absolutely love Mostert, by far and away my favorite RB we added.

Edmonds and Sony are welcome additions but both have underdelivered for the teams that originally took them. Sony has actually been decent, was he 1st round value decent though??? Probably not, but he runs hard and is a good blocker.

Edmonds (my least favorite addition) has only cracked 500 yards once in 4 seasons and I was puzzled we gave him so much money but we can cut him after this year for basicly no penalty so its okay. Maybe he will shine with this scheme but I wouldn't be surprised if he's buried on the depth chart by years end.

If Mostert stays healthy, which has always been his problem, we could have a 1,000 yard rusher in 22. He's explosive and can do it all out there. I wish we could swap the contracts between Edmonds and Mostert. Mostert signed a 1 year deal, I'd like to have him for a couple years.
I agree with this.

Miami doesn't have a superstar running back, but if you combine what the projected top three give you it could work out nicely.

Mostert is a home run hitter, big-play guy. Michel blocks well and gets the tough yards. Edmunds is a really good receiver.

This! When your top back in one season drops to your 4th or 5th back or maybe not even on the team the following season then you've obviously upgraded.

I agree with his single + comment... few comments, in addition to OP's comments about question marks still at C and RT we have depth concerns and an LT who is all but guaranteed to miss games.

Hopefully Armstead magically becomes crazy durable this year... but imagine him sitting out, lets say, 4 games. For those games you have Eich/AJ starting at LT and the only new/real upgrade is Williams at LG. The coaching and experience should naturally make this group better by default... but you just don't know FOR SURE.

With that in mind, anything more than a single + is just foolishly optimistic. We have potential to be great, Tua does too... but nothing is a guarantee.

Again, splitting hairs... but hey, that's what this time of the year is for... mindless babbling while you wait for the season.
This Basenji is not "foolishly optimistic"; just on top of things - LOL
1652379206860.jpeg

Not an uncommon occurrence with this breed - LOL
1652379338663.jpeg

LOL
1652379482057.jpeg

...also have to consider the possibility Dorsey will prove to be an upgrade.

I'm with you, in the hope that the loss of Daboll may be significant -- and thought about that before

considering the implication of Dorsey -- who seems to be on a HC trajectory.
Good point.

I also think Buffalo has to be careful how they use Josh Allen. His career could easily take the same path as Cam Newton.

Specifically, the overuse in the run game could take its toll.

Good point.

I also think Buffalo has to be careful how they use Josh Allen. His career could easily take the same path as Cam Newton.

Specifically, the overuse in the run game could take its toll.
People often think that bigger players are more durable but statistically that isn’t the case. Sure, all things being equal, the bigger guy might be able to take more hits, but things are almost never equal. Bigger players tend to take more hits, the refs allow more contact, etc. Newton took a beating and went from Superman to an afterthought.

When you include the overall coaching staff now compared to last year, I give the offensive coaching staff two ++ and thdefensive staff one + because of the addition of Madison and Surtain.
While you might be right, the coaching staff is unproven. I guess considering what we had as play callers last year it must be an improvement

Back
Top Bottom