Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look

This is going entirely too smoothly, we gotta add something to argue about so here we go. I agree with most of the positions but not OL. Last year we played without a NFL caliber OT. Liam under performed what I thought he could be, and Austin Jackson was exactly what I said he was when we drafted him, (a bad backup at best) and Davis was only a little bit better than Jackson. Now we bring in Armstead who is great when healthy but has never played a full NFL season. So we have two holes to fill plus their backup, and what we have is an injury prone LT and nothing else. At this point Diesch is our best option at RT and he is just not going to be ready this year. Better than Jackson and Liam sure but not ready to start, no way.
Center really doesn't worry me, we can get by with Deiter, although an upgrade would be nice, but we really HAVE to go out and get a vet OT, we simply HAVE to, or all of these fun toys we have bought might as well stay on the shelf. An OL is only as strong as it's weakest link, and right now we don't just have a weak link, we are literally MISSING a link. We don't have a RT on the roster nor a backup LT. If you think a few new coaches are going to magically turn lemons into lemonade please explain how that is any more logical than the jets thinking they are super bowl bound.

Did you not see Robert Jones at starting RT against NE, if you didn't look again. The only issue he has going into camp is his draft status. He was wayyyyy better than Jessie Davis, Jackson, Lima by miles in just that one game. Go check him out. I still have him as our starting RT until proven otherwise. I hope draft status doesn't get in the way.

Miami vs NE...check out Robert Jones

I think the upgrades come in terms of overall depth. They've added solid depth throughout the roster. By retaining almost the entire defense and adding depth through the draft and F/A, Miami, upgraded tremendously.

The offensive line has depth due to the Armstead and Williams signings. It pushes others into backup roles. The only positions that IMO lack serious depth are at CB, where Miami has a very good, three man group in, Howard, Jones and Needham. But beyond them, there are questions. The same can be said for the safety position.

Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.
Agree w all of this.

Assuming McDaniel brought the sauce with him from SF, playcalling is going to be one of the biggest upgrades, and when I say playcalling, I'm including scheme. We know that SF was always toward the top of the league in YAC, but this is a good illustration. In terms of YAC over expected, Samuel was #1 by a country mile, and Aiyuk finished 6th.

Did you not see Robert Jones at starting RT against NE, if you didn't look again. The only issue he has going into camp is his draft status. He was wayyyyy better than Jessie Davis, Jackson, Lima by miles in just that one game. Go check him out. I still have him as our starting RT until proven otherwise. I hope draft status doesn't get in the way.

Miami vs NE...check out Robert Jones

To me, he is one of the most intriguing players on the roster. Iā€™m very interested to see what the staff thinks about him and the whole OL.

We are rightfully concerned about C but Iā€™d say the scariest position right now is RT. They are going to give Austin Jackson every opportunity to win that spot. He will have to be a lot better, though.

Assuming McDaniel brought the sauce with him from SF, playcalling is going to be one of the biggest upgrades, and when I say playcalling, I'm including scheme. We know that SF was always toward the top of the league in YAC, but this is a good illustration. In terms of YAC over expected, Samuel was #1 by a country mile, and Aiyuk finished 6th.

This is cool. Poor Robby Anderson - did he run the wrong way after his catches?

Could do but Coleman played mostly at slot last year. Those two are safeties and used to blitz more
MEH, Coleman played almost 300 less snaps of defense than did Needham. I don't see that he was any mission critical piece of the puzzle. If you are saying our corner depth is suspect, I would say maybe, but Coleman leaving is not some crippling loss.

For all I know Trill Williams and/or Iggy are now ready to take some snaps.

MEH, Coleman played almost 300 less snaps of defense than did Needham. I don't see that he was any mission critical piece of the puzzle. If you are saying our corner depth is suspect, I would say maybe, but Coleman leaving is not some crippling loss.

For all I know Trill Williams and/or Iggy are now ready to take some snaps.
Totally forgot about Trill Williams. Another intriguing player.

Back
Top Bottom