Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look

I agree with his single + comment... few comments, in addition to OP's comments about question marks still at C and RT we have depth concerns and an LT who is all but guaranteed to miss games.

Hopefully Armstead magically becomes crazy durable this year... but imagine him sitting out, lets say, 4 games. For those games you have Eich/AJ starting at LT and the only new/real upgrade is Williams at LG. The coaching and experience should naturally make this group better by default... but you just don't know FOR SURE.

With that in mind, anything more than a single + is just foolishly optimistic. We have potential to be great, Tua does too... but nothing is a guarantee.

Again, splitting hairs... but hey, that's what this time of the year is for... mindless babbling while you wait for the season.

I feel very very certain the offensive line coaching is quantifiably improved over last year when we had a No experience unqualified O-line coach….add in the NFLs top left tackle and Williams, in addition to another year of experience on our young O-lineman and I expect major upgrade…period!

Cool post, but I'm not nearly as excited about our RB's as you are. The rest is pretty much spot on.
I think we are greatly improved at the RB position.
I also think White makes the team and no RB from last year make it.

I feel very very certain the offensive line coaching is quantifiably improved over last year when we had a No experience unqualified O-line coach….add in the NFLs top left tackle and Williams, in addition to another year of experience on our young O-lineman and I expect major upgrade…period!
Therein lies our difference:

After 20 years of consistent mediocrity, I have grown to not expect much from Miami as to not get disappointed.

If you’re expecting the 32nd best OL in 2021 to become top 10 in 2022, you’re probably much more likely to be disappointed than someone who is expecting 20th best, that’s all.

There's not one position group that didn't get better this offseason.
you better be glad Michael Palardy or his dad doesnt still post here. you'd be looking for a major fight

Glow Up Friday The 13Th GIF by IBTrav Artworks

Finally we will get to see what Tua can do with other playmakers, fins will be able to threaten the field the whole game.

Agreed! I was very critical of the OL decisions last season, both in the offseason and in TC. IMO those sabotaged the season from the get. Then later we saw some of the techniques they were being taught and it was clear they had almost no chance.

After reading these posts I am thinking about Duke Johnson. Thought he was our best running back and don't know why we didn't resign him. Could he have benefited from Deiter's return to the lineup? Did he have an injury that prevented us from resigning him?

This is going entirely too smoothly, we gotta add something to argue about so here we go. I agree with most of the positions but not OL. Last year we played without a NFL caliber OT. Liam under performed what I thought he could be, and Austin Jackson was exactly what I said he was when we drafted him, (a bad backup at best) and Davis was only a little bit better than Jackson. Now we bring in Armstead who is great when healthy but has never played a full NFL season. So we have two holes to fill plus their backup, and what we have is an injury prone LT and nothing else. At this point Diesch is our best option at RT and he is just not going to be ready this year. Better than Jackson and Liam sure but not ready to start, no way.
Center really doesn't worry me, we can get by with Deiter, although an upgrade would be nice, but we really HAVE to go out and get a vet OT, we simply HAVE to, or all of these fun toys we have bought might as well stay on the shelf. An OL is only as strong as it's weakest link, and right now we don't just have a weak link, we are literally MISSING a link. We don't have a RT on the roster nor a backup LT. If you think a few new coaches are going to magically turn lemons into lemonade please explain how that is any more logical than the jets thinking they are super bowl bound.

This is going entirely too smoothly, we gotta add something to argue about so here we go. I agree with most of the positions but not OL. Last year we played without a NFL caliber OT. Liam under performed what I thought he could be, and Austin Jackson was exactly what I said he was when we drafted him, (a bad backup at best) and Davis was only a little bit better than Jackson. Now we bring in Armstead who is great when healthy but has never played a full NFL season. So we have two holes to fill plus their backup, and what we have is an injury prone LT and nothing else. At this point Diesch is our best option at RT and he is just not going to be ready this year. Better than Jackson and Liam sure but not ready to start, no way.
Center really doesn't worry me, we can get by with Deiter, although an upgrade would be nice, but we really HAVE to go out and get a vet OT, we simply HAVE to, or all of these fun toys we have bought might as well stay on the shelf. An OL is only as strong as it's weakest link, and right now we don't just have a weak link, we are literally MISSING a link. We don't have a RT on the roster nor a backup LT. If you think a few new coaches are going to magically turn lemons into lemonade please explain how that is any more logical than the jets thinking they are super bowl bound.

We’ll see….I have a lot more faith that those young guys were not coached at all last year, and moved around far too much for a rookie in Eichenberg’s case.

Jeanpierre was not ready or qualified to run this O-line last year…and coaching matters with that many young players.

Does smell of Breida-Howard-Malcom Brown doesnt it. But in mcdaniel i trust
All three of those guys are jags, jags before they were acquired by Grier, which I never understood.

Mostert can play edmunds can play, took him long enough to get some good players for that unit..

Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.

Agree with it all except secondary. I think it’s weaker without Coleman and McCourty

Back
Top Bottom