Upgrading the OL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrading the OL

1st question - does Flo feel compelled to uograde? Maybe not. If reports of trying to resign Karras are true and there are now negotiations, maybe not. 2nd question- is there interest in a top FA? Depends. Big hole at LB and quick/fast receiver. As it stands now, not much cap for 2 quality FAs. 3rd question- any real interest in a high/mid R1 OLman. I don't know the answer to any of those, but I see no high probability
The rumor of them wanting to resign Karras came out a few weeks ago. While that could certainly still be the direction they plan to go at the center position. I just wonder if the freeing up of more cap space by releasing Van Noy will now allow them to possibly go after Linsley or Andrews in free agency instead of settling for Karras.

Both Linsley and Andrews would be upgrades at the center position and I think the Dolphins have the money to sign either one of them if they decide to go after one of them instead of resigning Karras. I think upgrading the offensive line is paramount if the Dolphins expect to have success on offense next season. It doesn’t matter if they upgrade the RB position or the WR position if the offensive line can’t open holes for the running game or protect Tua when he is in the pocket.

Upgrading the center position and adding one more starter on the offensive line while the young offensive linemen continue to develop will go a long way in providing the type of offense all of us hope for from the Dolphins. With a better offensive line and upgrades at the skill positions on offense, the Dolphins can become a top 10 offense with Tua at the helm.

Towards the end of Shula's tenure, I recall that every other year the 1st rd pick would be OL.... or so it seemed.

Then, Miami was always drafting in the 20's back in the day

Wasn't one a big bust....Billy Milner off the top of my head.

Towards the end of Shula's tenure, I recall that every other year the 1st rd pick would be OL.... or so it seemed.

Then, Miami was always drafting in the 20's back in the day
I have no idea what drafts you were watching. Because over the last 15 drafts when Shula was the HC only two offensive linemen were drafted by the Dolphins in the first round. Richmond Webb was drafted in the first round in 1990 and Billy Milner was drafted in the first round in 1995.

The 1995 draft was the last draft held while Shula was the HC. The only other offensive linemen drafted by the Dolphins during the 26 years Shula was the HC were all drafted prior to drafting Marino in 1983.

It would be insanity to to draft a tackle high, with the intention of then converting him to gaurd.

I have heard that speculation.
That has worked out for some teams. I forgot who did that last time. I posted a link of 1st round tackles two weeks ago. Not implying anything but drafting Sewell for guard would be silly. He is too tall and is the most mobile big tall guy in the draft.

Think the best direction for this line is to upgrade with an established top end vet at center. Linsley would be huge.

With a rookie (even one of the top guys) there's a chance we see a drop off in play from Karras. And Karras was ok last year, but we need to improve the line now.

I want to win this year, and I'm not sure taking our chances starting a rookie like Humphrey/Dickerson immediately makes this line any better next season. I do like Dickerson, but his injury history is pretty alarming.

Just praying we sign Linsley. We can still look for a future replacement that doesn't have to start alongside so many other unfinished products.

Just my ideal scenario. But we obviously need to prioritize C in the draft if we exit free agency without Linsley/Andrews/Karras.

Last edited:
After reading a little bit on the blocking scheme, we might be running; I wouldn't be surprised if we did go OT early in the draft because it might be too hard to pass on a guy like Sewell. Taking this from the web, the gap scheme is essentially a hybrid between zone and angle, whereas gap responsibility always overrides people. The advantage of using a hybrid system is it helps avoid defenses zeroing in on each scheme's weakness. Teams favor big OTs that are agile because it lets them mix things up and dictate the run game. Hunt might be a serviceable RT, but I think he might be a better RG for us. I am not sure which of Jackson or Sewell would move to RT, but my guess would be Jackson.

It would be insanity to to draft a tackle high, with the intention of then converting him to gaurd.

Agree. Guards do not go #3.
We need 6 high round positions:
WR-2
OL-1
Edge-1
LB -1
RB -1
CB, S, DL, OL, LB, added after day 2.
Only way to do this is trade back.
Only stay at three if you take a QB.

I would agree. That being said, Nelson at 6 has worked out exceptionally well for the Colts and Sewell could be a better all around prospect. If we end up doing the Sewell route (which I think is highly unlikely) I really think he’d be at RT and we’d kick Kindley to LG and Hunt to RG.

The OL this past season with all the additions through the draft and FA was average at best, better then 2019 for sure but still not where it should be. Now Jackson, Kindley and hunt with an off-season and training camp I expect them to be better. Observation , I thought kindley Played better as a LG, Jackson will be really good w more experience. Karras while solid , didn’t do well against the good teams. Flowers was a good leader and also brought toughness to the OL but he is just decent as a guard. We should upgrade the Center position w a player like linsley because we are all about evaluating Tua and giving him every opportunity to succeed. I also believe we should draft a center in the second round as well.

I would agree. That being said, Nelson at 6 has worked out exceptionally well for the Colts and Sewell could be a better all around prospect. If we end up doing the Sewell route (which I think is highly unlikely) I really think he’d be at RT and we’d kick Kindley to LG and Hunt to RG.
I just don’t like drafting a tackle prospect at 3 just to move him to guard a position he’s never played.

I have no idea what drafts you were watching. Because over the last 15 drafts when Shula was the HC only two offensive linemen were drafted by the Dolphins in the first round. Richmond Webb was drafted in the first round in 1990 and Billy Milner was drafted in the first round in 1995.

The 1995 draft was the last draft held while Shula was the HC. The only other offensive linemen drafted by the Dolphins during the 26 years Shula was the HC were all drafted prior to drafting Marino in 1983.
Shula had some horrible drafts in general tho. From 1984 to 1989 Shula drafted ONE very good player(John Offerdahl. Other than that most of the picks were just horrible.

I'm not sure they are all that keen to move Hunt inside or replace him. By the end of the season he was arguably our best offensive lineman.

Sometimes insane things work out. That doesn't make them less insane, or even smart....lol.

Back
Top Bottom