Upgrading the OL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrading the OL

I just don’t like drafting a tackle prospect at 3 just to move him to guard a position he’s never played.
He spent his entire high school career as an OG. He was the highest rated OG prospect in Utah when he signed with the Ducks. He only played LT in college for 2 seasons (and sat out his Junior year). I doubt it’s a move we would ever make either ways.

I have no idea what drafts you were watching. Because over the last 15 drafts when Shula was the HC only two offensive linemen were drafted by the Dolphins in the first round. Richmond Webb was drafted in the first round in 1990 and Billy Milner was drafted in the first round in 1995.

The 1995 draft was the last draft held while Shula was the HC. The only other offensive linemen drafted by the Dolphins during the 26 years Shula was the HC were all drafted prior to drafting Marino in 1983.

I did say or so it seemed

Shula had some horrible drafts in general tho. From 1984 to 1989 Shula drafted ONE very good player(John Offerdahl. Other than that most of the picks were just horrible.
I agree. The inability to draft quality players during the time Marino was the QB is the real reason the Dolphins never made it back to the SB after 1984. Joe Thomas was responsible for drafting the great talent Shula inherited when he came to the Dolphins in 1970. Bobby Beathard took over after Thomas left in 1972 and did a decent job as the GM. The Dolphins did a good job in the early 1980’s by drafting Marino, Clayton, and Duper but they were never able to draft a great RB or build a complete team after the SB run in 1984.

Miami is in a great situation with a lot of options.

If they want to get Tua weapons and solidify the line they could sign Linsley, draft Smith/Chase/Waddle/Pitts with 1st pick, Vera-Tucker at 18, and RB at 36.

Many ways to approach this off-season.

1st question - does Flo feel compelled to uograde? Maybe not. If reports of trying to resign Karras are true and there are now negotiations, maybe not. 2nd question- is there interest in a top FA? Depends. Big hole at LB and quick/fast receiver. As it stands now, not much cap for 2 quality FAs. 3rd question- any real interest in a high/mid R1 OLman. I don't know the answer to any of those, but I see no high probability
Flo used last draft to fix OL. He will use this draft to fix other units. That is the plan. Forget about OL in early rounds.

I just don’t like drafting a tackle prospect at 3 just to move him to guard a position he’s never played.
We need to create more holes and projects and shuttle the whole line so that we can satisfy the Sowell fan base. Don't you get it?

Shula had some horrible drafts in general tho. From 1984 to 1989 Shula drafted ONE very good player(John Offerdahl. Other than that most of the picks were just horrible.
Without even looking, these come to my head, Shipp, Kumero, Bosa....feel sorry for Marino.
Shula tried to do one thing during the entire Marino career, stop the run. Couldn't do it.

Flo used last draft to fix OL. He will use this draft to fix other units. That is the plan. Forget about OL in early rounds.
Its no use telling them this. Large portion of this fanbase are obsessed with two things: having a bunch of draft picks (but as soon as they are selected, they are ready to draft their replacement; see Hunt and Jackson) and acquiring at least 3 new offensive linemen each offseason (again they won't be good enough and replacements will again be needed the following year; Flowers Deiter)

Its no use telling them this. Large portion of this fanbase are obsessed with two things: having a bunch of draft picks (but as soon as they are selected, they are ready to draft their replacement; see Hunt and Jackson) and acquiring at least 3 new offensive linemen each offseason (again they won't be good enough and replacements will again be needed the following year; Flowers Deiter)
Early rounds draft picks are over rated, and over valued. Look at NE thur the years.

Good picks on days two is where you build a good teams. Hey but its not sexy, many young fans don't understand.

It would be insanity to to draft a tackle high, with the intention of then converting him to gaurd.

I have heard that speculation.
More than a few believe he projects better @G --- like ALL-Pro G and just OK OT.

No doubt his draft stock is falling --- hard to know where the bottom is but I could see him

out of the top 10.

More than a few believe he projects better @G --- like ALL-Pro G and just OK OT.

No doubt his draft stock is falling --- hard to know where the bottom is but I could see him

out of the top 10.
Not specifically in this case, but in general, what do you think causes "draft stock" to drastically rise or fall with almost no added information?

I mean I can understand a bad combine showing, or getting arrested for a bar fight, but barring performance or social issues, it seems to be baseless hype.

Without even looking, these come to my head, Shipp, Kumero, Bosa....feel sorry for Marino.
Shula tried to do one thing during the entire Marino career, stop the run. Couldn't do it.
Do you know who Bosa and Kumerow are related to?

Shula had some horrible drafts in general tho. From 1984 to 1989 Shula drafted ONE very good player(John Offerdahl.
That was indeed a tough stretch. Shula fared better starting in '90 until he retired.

First round picks:

'90 - Richmond Webb
'91 - Randall Hill
'92 - Troy Vincent, Marco Coleman
'93 - O.J. McDuffie
'94 - Tim Bowens
' 95 - Billy Milner

Not specifically in this case, but in general, what do you think causes "draft stock" to drastically rise or fall with almost no added information?

I mean I can understand a bad combine showing, or getting arrested for a bar fight, but barring performance or social issues, it seems to be baseless hype.
What I heard were references to the kids "balance" and issues with getting knocked off balance pass pro.

Other are noting his lateral movement is questionable whereas he's terrific in line. I guess that's why

the projection @G makes some degree of sense. The evaluations I'm referring to are obviously based on

tape from 2019... I think that is a consideration along with other players really moving up the totem pole

like Pitts for example. As we all know -- most of the top services usually dial it in pretty good before the draft

so I'd assume we'll see a few more "adjustments."

Back
Top Bottom