Upgrading the OL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrading the OL

What I heard were references to the kids "balance" and issues with getting knocked off balance pass pro.

Other are noting his lateral movement is questionable whereas he's terrific in line. I guess that's why

the projection @G makes some degree of sense. The evaluations I'm referring to are obviously based on

tape from 2019... I think that is a consideration along with other players really moving up the totem pole

like Pitts for example. As we all know -- most of the top services usually dial it in pretty good before the draft

so I'd assume we'll see a few more "adjustments."
My point was (your examples are prime) that there is no new tape, in Sewell's case for nearly two years.

There is no new information, aside from interaction with scouts who aren't talking, and can't be trusted to not be "smoke" if they are. All of this tape has been available for some time.

Are you saying the initial evaluations were done without competent research? Is it just a matter of "herd mentality"?

I guess what I'm asking is, in lieu of any actual new information, what is moving the needle for NFL scouting departments, who should have completed their film study months ago?

Is it a case where media talking heads (read talking out their ***) are driving the narrative, and if so, does it have any real effect on the evaluations done by NFL team professionals?

The media would never drive a narrative /s
Not only do they drive them, they create them out of thin air.

Do you think it has any effect on NFL team's evaluations?

For those that appreciate a damn good cover that seems appropriate......

Flo used last draft to fix OL. He will use this draft to fix other units. That is the plan. Forget about OL in early rounds.
No the hell he didn't. He used last year's draft to start the upgrade of the worst OL unit when he took over. All 5 positions needed to be upgraded, and he drafted 3. He still needs 2 more to complete the process. Plus, when did you talk with him and Grier to know that this is the plan????

No the hell he didn't. He used last year's draft to start the upgrade of the worst OL unit when he took over. All 5 positions needed to be upgraded, and he drafted 3. He still needs 2 more to complete the process. Plus, when did you talk with him and Grier to know that this is the plan????
We need passrush and wide recivers who are at least NFL starter quality more than we need to spend a fortune or use the #3 pick on another linemen.

We drafted 2 Tackles and a Gaurd last season. I'll happily draft a Center and another linemen in this draft but not at pick #3.... that pick is worth more being traded than it is too actually use the pick for ourselves. We should be able to trade back and acquire a 2021 & 2022 1st rounder and maybe more. If we're sticking with Tua, this is our insurance if he looks awful in 2021. Not saying he will but we would be smart to get this insurance.

If we trade down and by some miracle Sewell is there, I'll be pounding the table for him, but at #3 ill never be sold.

Let's give our rookie offensive lineman a year to grow in to the position just like Tua. Why does all the Nation media hammer the Dolphins?

Flo used last draft to fix OL. He will use this draft to fix other units. That is the plan. Forget about OL in early rounds.
Do you honestly feel that the OL is fixed? Because I still view the OL as a major issue and I think they still need to upgrade the center position and the RT position before you can even consider this an average offensive line.
Hopefully they will add Linsley or Andrews in free agency and use one of their two first round picks on another offensive lineman.

Do you honestly feel that the OL is fixed? Because I still view the OL as a major issue and I think they still need to upgrade the center position and the RT position before you can even consider this an average offensive line.
Hopefully they will add Linsley or Andrews in free agency and use one of their two first round picks on another offensive lineman.
What is your definition of 'fixed'?
For some say, they want stack the line with 1 and 2s, and pro bowl in all five.
For me, it ranks at or above 16. With a full camp, yes, it is fixed imho.

There is no perfect unit.

Time to move on with other holes.

What is your definition of 'fixed'?
For some say, they want stack the line with 1 and 2s, and pro bowl in all five.
For me, it ranks at or above 16. With a full camp, yes, it is fixed imho.

There is no perfect unit.

Time to move on with other holes.
Thus far, I do not think I have run into a single poster here who... when arguing that our O-line was good enough, really was not saying "I want to draft weapons and anything that keeps me from doing that is bad."

When we point out that the 'phins line was ranked near the bottom of the ratings... the responses are always, It'll be better next year (I hope).
When we point out that Flowers is gone after next year and that Karras is a free agent... we get... mumble, mumble. mumble, I want to draft weapons.
When we point out that our best two backups are Deiter and Davis, we get.... mumble, mumble, mumble... gosh Devonta Smith is soooo manly.... squeal!

The line is NOT fixed.

It is partially fixed. It is better than it was in 2019, but none of the rookies excelled. Jackson and Kindley were both decent before they took injuries... and Hunt didn't even start right away and then was okay as a fresh player when most of the NFL's players were beat up.

When we point out that our QB is smallish, not super mobile, and has a lengthy injury history that almost demands not just an ok line, but a very good one... we get... "gosh... if we get these magic WRs who are open in the first 2 seconds, it won't matter..."

SIGH...

Thus far, I do not think I have run into a single poster here who... when arguing that our O-line was good enough, really was not saying "I want to draft weapons and anything that keeps me from doing that is bad."

When we point out that the 'phins line was ranked near the bottom of the ratings... the responses are always, It'll be better next year (I hope).
When we point out that Flowers is gone after next year and that Karras is a free agent... we get... mumble, mumble. mumble, I want to draft weapons.
When we point out that our best two backups are Deiter and Davis, we get.... mumble, mumble, mumble... gosh Devonta Smith is soooo manly.... squeal!

The line is NOT fixed.

It is partially fixed. It is better than it was in 2019, but none of the rookies excelled. Jackson and Kindley were both decent before they took injuries... and Hunt didn't even start right away and then was okay as a fresh player when most of the NFL's players were beat up.

When we point out that our QB is smallish, not super mobile, and has a lengthy injury history that almost demands not just an ok line, but a very good one... we get... "gosh... if we get these magic WRs who are open in the first 2 seconds, it won't matter..."

SIGH...

Your own post (bolded) explains why we should expect all three of the rookies to be better next year.

I expect to see minor changes, but regardless, the line will be better next season if for nothing else but experience and chemistry. If we're middle of the road as an OL unit and have improved on offensive weapons in the pass and running game, you're going to see a huge difference. None of this is a stretch at all.

Your own post (bolded) explains why we should expect all three of the rookies to be better next year.

I expect to see minor changes, but regardless, the line will be better next season if for nothing else but experience and chemistry. If we're middle of the road as an OL unit and have improved on offensive weapons in the pass and running game, you're going to see a huge difference. None of this is a stretch at all.
All of us expect the rookies to be better in their second year... but how much better?

...and Flowers is still gone after this year (and is only average).

...and Karras is below average, one of the poorer starting Centers in the NFL. He's flat lousy in the run game.

You guys act like three average rookies will fix the whole thing.

It won't.

It's a nice start, but that's all it is. We need two more starters.

All of us expect the rookies to be better in their second year... but how much better?

...and Flowers is still gone after this year (and is only average).

...and Karras is below average, one of the poorer starting Centers in the NFL. He's flat lousy in the run game.

You guys act like three average rookies will fix the whole thing.

It won't.

It's a nice start, but that's all it is. We need two more starters.

Often overlooked . . . one of the more important characteristics of an OL is 'chemistry,' 'cohesiveness,' 'experience together,' call it what we want. That can cover some 'lesser' talent.
If reports are true and Miami/Karras are negotiating a long-term deal, it won't be for backup money. whether that deal gets done or not will decide Miami's decision on OC.
What do Flo/staff think of Jackson/Hunt as OTs? No idea. Those decisions will directly affect the decisions going in to draft/FA.
I agree with you on Flowers.
None of this means I'm opposed to a new OC/OT - just the way I see it for now. And, for now, I don't see an elite FA OL nor a R1 OL. we're all waiting on some hint of clarity on Flo's thinking. Once FA stats and there are rumors Miami and pick-a-name are 'in talks,' fans will know more.

Not specifically in this case, but in general, what do you think causes "draft stock" to drastically rise or fall with almost no added information?

I mean I can understand a bad combine showing, or getting arrested for a bar fight, but barring performance or social issues, it seems to be baseless hype.
I often find that it's just a matter of who's looking at the film. Media and fans are often enamored with players way before the team scouts start to look at film. Then when the scouts start looking, formulating opinions and stacking boards, some of those opinions get leaked. They are often quite different so some players rise and some players drop away.

If you want to build a unit for quick results, you might as well do it through FA. I think its counter productive to draft 5 OL in 2 consecutive draft and not let them go at it at least a couple of years before you decide its not good enough. Fins made a big commitment to the OL and QB in last years draft and the 2 big discussions on this board are about upgrading both after one season, everyone loves draft picks, loves the "rebuild" but most dont seem to have the patience to watch rookies and yound players play football.

This dude Quinn Meinerz

I know they loved him at the Senior Bowl, and I expect to draft multiple guys from the Senior Bowl ... because that seems to be the pattern when we coach there. But, I gotta say, I love this guy. Very twitchy for an OL, impeccable vision, he seems to see every aspect of a DL's moves, and if that carries over to stunts/twists and straight up LB blitzes, then he really will be a good interior lineman. For me, he's more of a guard than center, although I know there's a lot of talk about him as a center ... but that quickness and bulldoggedness (yeah I made the word up, so what!?!?!?) really makes him appealing to me. Whether we have Hunt or Kindley at RG, neither will be a pulling guard, so Meinerz could fill that bill easily.

Not sure whether we'd need a 3rd or a 2nd to get him at this point, and I don't want to use a 2nd, but I'll be happy if we come out of this draft with a quality OL like him.

Back
Top Bottom