Upon Further Reflection...qb’s This Year... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upon Further Reflection...qb’s This Year...

Kyndig

Seasoned Veteran
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There could actually be 4 QB’s that are worthy 1st round prospects. I don’t think this class is as weak as a lot of the draftniks seemed to think pre-scouting combine/pro-day workouts. Kyler Murray choosing Football over baseball was huge and it seems like he will be the consensus number 1 overall pick, and is certainly the number 1 prospect.

Kyler Murray
Drew Lock
Dwayne Haskins
Ryan Finley

All 4 seem like solid 1st round prospects. Chris Simms had an excellent evaluation video that some others have posted on here, and several others I follow on twitter and the Internet have also done some solid research and really came up with some excellent points as to why all 4 of those guys could end up being good pros. I have also since watched some highlight reels of all 4 of those guys and they all look pretty good, very natural throwers of the football.

I think we shouldn’t trade up for any of them though. I think we sit at 13 and see if 1 of those 4 drop to us. If any of them do, then I think we should strongly consider taking any one of them. Also, if the Cardinals take Kyler Murray, then Rosen also becomes available, not sure I would want to trade for him, but another QB needy team might which could take them out of the running for a QB this year or next. At least there is NFL tape on Rosen, so you could probably get a pretty good idea of whether he is a bust or has enough upside to count as the 5th 1st round QB prospect in this draft.

If all 4 of those guys not named Rosen are taken (I wouldn’t trade for Rosen) before 13, then you have to figure next year there wouldn’t be too many teams ahead of us that would need a QB and we would have a very good chance to land either , Tua, Fromm, or Herbert whether by drafting in the top 5 or so, and/or by trading up for the the coaches and front office really want.

The teams that also need a QB are the Cardinals (because Murray seems to be an obvious upgrade), Giants, Broncos, Raiders (don’t seem sold on Carr), and Redskins who draft behind us this year.That’s 5 teams and potentially 4 first round prospects this year, and a 5th Rosen potentially available via trade.with 3 or 4 more potentially elite first round prospects also coming out next year. I would also suggest that the Lions could be in the market for an heir apparent to Matt Stafford.

My point? I’m actually optimistic that either this year or next we will be able to draft a solid franchise QB prospect depending upon how the draft falls this year, but I don’t think it’s worth trading much for because we also have so many other holes and our draft capital is very important right now.

The only thing I disagree with is staying put at 13. I would think they would have to have a order of the top four if what you say is true. You have to get your number one because we're in Striking Distance and in position to do it and not look back.

The only time I think we stay put as if we're not in love with any one of the three or four but if we are we have to go get him.

I was very strongly in the opinion of skipping a QB this year and doing everything to build the O and D line in the draft this year, but the more I see of Lock and Haskins the more im leaning towards drafting one of them IF they fall to 13, i would not trade up for either of them, but if one was to fall would definitely pick them. You got a veteran like Fitz that can help them learn on the bench for the first year while we rebuilt the team around.

At this point, I feel that if a QB that we like drops to us at 13, we take him. If they're all taken by 13, we should either go BPA or trade back depending on how the board looks. We have a lot of potential decisions to weigh during the draft this year.

If the raiders grab a QB where does Carr go he has talent.

Nothing has changed for me. If there's any glimmer of a chance of acquiring Kyler Murray, then I do everything in my power to secure him. Crazier things have happened, so who knows.

Barring that, I would also wait and see how the other QB's shake out. Everything depends on what the teams in front of us do or don't do, so it's obviously a fluid situation come draft day.

If we wait on a QB, then I'm cool with them drafting one later in the draft (Easton Stick or Jacob Dolegala). Provided the Dolphins stand pat at 13, then I'm looking at names like Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat (heart issue causing a drop), Jonah Williams, Clelin Ferrell, or Greedy Williams.

If the Dolphins swing a trade and deal back for extra picks, these are some players and names that I would target: Brian Burns, Jeffery Simmons, Dexter Lawrence, Garrett Bradbury (love this guy), Cody Ford, or Byron Murphy.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

This is one of the worst QB classes in the history of the draft. It's all hype. It's fake news, Not even CNN could construct enough lies to brain wash people into believing this QB class was anything more than mediocre to just plain bad.

This is one of the worst QB classes in the history of the draft. It's all hype. It's fake news, Not even CNN could construct enough lies to brain wash people into believing this QB class was anything more than mediocre to just plain bad.

In all fairness I think the same could be said for last year’s crop. Mayfield looks good, but I personally never bought into the Darnold or Rosen hype.
Josh Allen made more plays with his legs last year than with his much vaunted arm.
Had Drew Lock come out last year after the season he had, he might well have gone top 5.

Only time will tell. I see it as Kyler Murray up on a mountain top, and then everyone else. That said, worse than 1996, 2007, or 2013? Those were some historic stinkers, in terms of craptastic QB classes.

Fun fact: Matt Moore turned out to be the best QB of the 2007 class, and he went undrafted and later picked up by the Panthers. Kind of funny.

^and if we suck bad we are still in position to draft another on 20

The problem with that is when was the last time you remember a team giving up on 1st after 1 year and drafted another QB top 10? If there's an example, someone out there in FH please provide it.

I believe what the Cardinals are about to do takes a lot of balls. I applaud them.

I would love to believe that our FO would have the same cojones. I'm with you. If you go 2-14 with a QB drafted this year, take another 1 atop the draft next year. But It's just not the way it's done.

It may be a waste of resources and exclamate what a $hit show this franchise has been/may continue to be. The reallity is, we should be that desperate to hit on a QB.

There's clearly not 4 top 10 QBs in this draft.

Murray has a chance because of his unique skill set if he physically holds up.

I like Haskins intelligence and the way he carries himself.

If either of those two are on the board when Miami drafts without having to trade up I vote yes. No vote on Lock or Finley.

The problem with that is when was the last time you remember a team giving up on 1st after 1 year and drafted another QB top 10? If there's an example, someone out there in FH please provide it.

I believe what the Cardinals are about to do takes a lot of balls. I applaud them.

I would love to believe that our FO would have the same cojones. I'm with you. If you go 2-14 with a QB drafted this year, take another 1 atop the draft next year. But It's just not the way it's done.

It may be a waste of resources and exclamate what a $hit show this franchise has been/may continue to be. The reallity is, we should be that desperate to hit on a QB.

What I was trying to say was we have a chance to get our QB this year, but it’s not guaranteed, and if we don’t, we will have an even better chance next year, that’s what I was trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom