Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic.

Can't have an all pro at every position. We don't know what the final 53 will be yet. I'm pretty sure at least one or two players that are not on the roster right now will be on the 53 week one. Maybe one of those will be a RB and maybe not but we don't know yet. right now I'll focus on the players we have.
We can't even block for anyone as of last season. That is like trying to understand Ozzy's music without ever listening to any kind of music before.

Complaining about people that are obsessed with RB's. I"ll only go back to bed if you put me to sleep. But @Dan13Forever might get jealous.

Yeah, RBs in the modern NFL aren't what they use to be. A guy like D.Henry is a player from another era.

Now with that said i'm not a huge fan of Gaskin. I certainly respect him and his work ethic and squeezing every bit of talent out of his body.

I would prefer a much more explosive talent. I think it's all but certain this is going to be the season, assuming everything holds, that Gaskin proves it or gets replaced.

I'm honestly not sure how effective RPO can every be with a "threat" like Gaskins. IMO he scare no one so we're setting on those slants.

What it seemed like to me was they didn’t have anyone left on their board that they really wanted. I find that odd.
I think they realize that there are only so many roster spots available for rookies. There is no point in drafting players that have a very slim chance to make the team.

I do realize there are good players found in the later rounds, but the odds are against it.

I have zero issue with what they did in moving up a round. A case can really be made that it saved, and increased the value of an asset that can either be used for a pick, or for a trade up next year.

We can't even block for anyone as of last season. That is like trying to understand Ozzy's music without ever listening to any kind of music before.
What is this "other music" of which you speak?

Yeah, RBs in the modern NFL aren't what they use to be. A guy like D.Henry is a player from another era.

Now with that said i'm not a huge fan of Gaskin. I certainly respect him and his work ethic and squeezing every bit of talent out of his body.

I would prefer a much more explosive talent. I think it's all but certain this is going to be the season, assuming everything holds, that Gaskin proves it or gets replaced.

I'm honestly not sure how effective RPO can every be with a "threat" like Gaskins. IMO he scare no one so we're setting on those slants.
"D. Henry"

500 yards in two games against Houston Last season, one of the worst run defenses.
300 yards against Jacksonville 31st overall defense
Almost 300 yards against the colts
150 yards against the lions

60 yards against the browns?
50 yards against buffalo?
68 against chicago?
75 against the steelers?

"D. Henry"

500 yards in two games against Houston Last season, one of the worst run defenses.
300 yards against Jacksonville 31st overall defense
Almost 300 yards against the colts
150 yards against the lions

60 yards against the browns?
50 yards against buffalo?
68 against chicago?
75 against the steelers?

I get the premise of the argument. But i can shut it down with one question.

If your premise is based on those teams defenses are just bad then i ask you to "Show me similiar numbers by other backs against those defense"

To which you reply......??

I have a Question.

How do any of you, who are just soooo devastated we didn't draft your favorite Alabama runningback know that he would be better than Gaskin, Ahmed and Brown? Doaks might be better...

The fact is none of you know. Harris could be Trent Richardson 2.0.

My point is to ignore obvious logic: that even the National media members and former pros admit; that we had an amazing draft: because we didn't draft the 1 or 2 runningbacks that you knew the name of pre-draft is getting absolutely obnoxious and all of you are starting to come off pretty ignorant.

I find it encouraging that this franchise understands that running back is a devalued position in the NFL and that you don't need to invest premium draft assets or a lot of money on the position. They know they need an upgrade at the position, but they realize that they shouldn't upgrade that position at the expense of the other way more important positions that need to be upgraded in order to build a successful team. If Miami would have wasted a first round draft pick or, even worse, used extra draft assets to move back into the first round to select a running back, it would have shaken my enthusiasm that this franchise finally understands how to build a team that can have long term success .

Weeks before the Draft, I could see the potential dilemma unfolding of again missing out on a top rated RB if we waited beyond the #18 pick because I could also see that it was highly likely that we were going to draft a pass rusher with the #18 pick and all 3 top rated RBs would be drafted before our first pick in round 2. It was completely predictable. The reality is that our GM and Coach value the RB position considerably less than a lot of other positions, like DE/pass rusher and definitely less than fantasy football practitioners. Myles Gaskin exceeded expectations last season and who knows, he could do it again but the optimal solution now maybe for Chris Grier to do some good negotiating with a team that has a surplus of serviceable RBs.

I just don't really understand why people thought Flo would target a RB high in the draft. I think they want an Offense similar to those in NE. That is were Waddle comes in. I think he can be massive in that type of offense. Basically he will play Welkers role but has a lot more upside because he has that high gear to take to rhe house at any time. Waddle runs good routes over the middle and plays with a physical edge to him. I see a lot of quick slants Wr drags some screens and such. He is basically taking touches away from a RB. They also took another pass catching TE. Look for them to get the TE open in the short flats for positive yards. Fuller is also another key to this offense, need to has some outside speed. If the safeties start to come up to stop the short pass game Fuller will get a lot of 1 on 1 deep plays. Also with Waddle if the safety bites on a slant can turn the route up field and be gone. Last year we had zero downfield threats (Grant is piss poor). Every team last year clogged the middle with safety help becauae we had nobody they had to respect to go deep.

What a lot of people don't talk about/consider but I have heard Coach Flo mention several times was that teams stacked the box against us a lot! He also mentioned that getting more weapons and opening up the offense would help the running game.

I get the premise of the argument. But i can shut it down with one question.

If your premise is based on those teams defenses are just bad then i ask you to "Show me similiar numbers by other backs against those defense"

To which you reply......??

The whole league piled up almost 3,000 yards against the texans.

The whole league piled up 2,500 yards on the ground against the Jaguars.

The whole league piled up 2000 yards against the lions in the ground.

The whole nfl piled up almost 8,000 yards against those three teams in the ground alone.

How many yards did the league piled up against the top 3 run defenses? Half of those yards lol.

Back
Top Bottom