Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic.

Teams like the Ravens, KC and Pittsburgh all invested a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB in back to back years. Those are playoff teams so please spare me that Grier and Flo are on to something others are not. These teams are among the best offenses and know what the end zone looks like.

When you can get to the playoffs, have explosive offenses then we can glean something from this head scratching exercise of not wanting a RB. I also don't want to hear how these teams were pretty stacked. All teams have needs. This is about as glaring as it gets, we will see but it didn't work last year and Malcolm Brown is not the answer.

Last edited:
Teams like the Ravens, KC and Pittsburgh all invested a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB in back to back years. Those are playoff teams so please spare me that Grier and Flo are on to something others are not. These teams are among the best offenses and know what the end zone looks like.

When you can get to the playoffs, have explosive offenses then we can glean something from this head scratching exercise of not wanting a RB. I also don't want to hear how these teams were pretty stacked. All teams have needs. This is about as glaring as it gets, we will see but it didn't work last year and Malcolm Brown is not the answer.
Yea our team is still being rebuilt and Flores and Grier are doing a great job. We can draft RB's in the first or second by next year.

Teams like the Ravens, KC and Pittsburgh all invested a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB in back to back years. Those are playoff teams so please spare me with the "devaluation" of the RB or that Grier and Flo are on to something others are not. These teams are among the best offenses and know what the end zone looks like.

When you can get to the playoffs, have explosive offenses then we can glean something from this head scratching exercise of not wanting a RB. I also don't want to hear how these teams were pretty stacked. All teams have needs. This is about as glaring as itQuote gets, we will see but it didn't work last year and Malcolm Brown is not the answer.

Funny that you mention that, KC didn't win the superbowl this year with their 1st round pick rb that you so hailed but won it without him the year before. In fact they won the Super Bowl with Damien Williams, and Lesean McCoy. Had they not drafted a RB, they could have drafted the best offensive lineman available, which was no other than Robert Hunt for the Dolphins. Robert Hunt ranked top 7 in right tackles from week 10-16, and was without a doubt the best lineman we had. Had Robert Hunt been on that offensive line who knows what would have happened. Thank you for bringing up the point of how worthless it was for them to draft a RB.

Pittsburgh needed someone to protect Ben and they were stupid enough to pick a RB. Pouncey retired this season, and he was hands down one of the best at his position. Ravens drafted Oweh, and Bateman. They scored a mere 3 points in their exit in the playoffs.

Funny that you mention that, KC didn't win the superbowl this year with their 1st round pick rb that you so hailed but won it without him the year before. In fact they won the Super Bowl with Damien Williams, and Lesean McCoy. Had they not drafted a RB, they could have drafted the best offensive lineman available, which was no other than Robert Hunt for the Dolphins. Robert Hunt ranked top 7 in right tackles from week 10-16, and was without a doubt the best lineman we had. Had Robert Hunt been on that offensive line who knows what would have happened. Thank you for bringing up the point of how worthless it was for them to draft a RB.

Pittsburgh needed someone to protect Ben and they were stupid enough to pick a RB. Pouncey retired this season, and he was hands down one of the best at his position. Ravens drafted Oweh, and Bateman. They scored a mere 3 points in their exit in the playoffs.
The point is winning franchises put premium picks on the position. If you want to slant it another way then fine that is your right. But it doesn't discount that they may know a thing or two about winning and making the playoffs in the NFL.

So with your logic KC wins if they pick Hunt instead of Hellaire? Interesting but we don't have the luxury of hindsight. That would be like saying if Jackson got hurt "damn we should have drafted Sewell over Waddle!" So no that argument is not really valid. They obviously thought that RB was where they had the biggest talent deficiency.

As for Pittsburgh? Really, they are the model of consistency and winning, to say they may know a thing about drafting is an understatement since they don't pay for FA's. Sorry no argument here that I can see.

Baltimore, I think your key word was "playoffs". Something we would like to see. They do it most years.

At the end of they day some franchises just know what they are doing. We will see if Grier and Flores are smarter than these guys soon enough.

Last edited:

Well said. Sure glad they didn’t take him. A better line and great speed additions at WR will open up the running game, not to mention the two additional RB’s,

The Ravens drafted a running back in the second round, which I don't have a problem with. KC drafted a running back in the first round and it was clearly a mistake. They are the perfect example of why it's unnecessary to draft a running back in the first round. About six running backs drafted after CHE were more productive and all look more promising than him. I'll bet you that the Chiefs wish they would have used that first round pick on some offensive line depth or wide receiver depth instead, because running back wasn't the make or break position that cost KC the last Super Bowl.
Pittsburgh used their first round pick on a running back this year and it made me laugh. Roethlisberger looks shot and they have needs all along the offensive line but they believe Najee Harris will cure all their ills. Good luck with that.
On top of the foolishness of using a first round pick on a position that's the easiest to find production from by using less than premium draft assets for, if they do end up being any good, the smart business decision is to not pay them a second contract and to let them walk. That does not sound like a situation that I would want to squander such a valuable draft asset on.

The point is winning franchises put premium picks on the position. If you want to slant it another way then fine that is your right. But it doesn't discount that they may know a thing or two about winning and making the playoffs in the NFL.

So with your logic KC wins if they pick Hunt instead of Hellaire? Interesting but we don't have the luxury of hindsight. That would be like saying if Jackson got hurt "damn we should have drafted Sewell over Waddle!" So no that argument is not really valid. They obviously thought that RB was where they had the biggest talent deficiency.

As for Pittsburgh? Really, they are the model of consistency and winning, to say they may know a thing about drafting is an understatement since they don't pay for FA's. Sorry no argument here that I can see.

Baltimore, I think your key word was "playoffs". Something we would like to see. They do it most years.

At the end of they day some franchises just know what they are doing. We will see if Grier and Flores are smarter than these guys soon enough.
Careful there, I only judged their pick not that Hunt was going to manhandle Tampa. I stated facts, how those facts can tell us what might have happened it will be up to our imagination. Hunt was dependable right? Consistent right?

Only critique with Pittsburg was their draft choice. They had other needs and that is inarguable. They totally was the most disappointing team last season.

Baltimore is a team that will end up the same. Their gameplan to the big games has been playoff exits. We want to be bettet than that but they arent really part of my critiques. Just teams that drafted rb.

The Ravens drafted a running back in the second round, which I don't have a problem with. KC drafted a running back in the first round and it was clearly a mistake. They are the perfect example of why it's unnecessary to draft a running back in the first round. About six running backs drafted after CHE were more productive and all look more promising than him. I'll bet you that the Chiefs wish they would have used that first round pick on some offensive line depth or wide receiver depth instead, because running back wasn't the make or break position that cost KC the last Super Bowl.
Pittsburgh used their first round pick on a running back this year and it made me laugh. Roethlisberger looks shot and they have needs all along the offensive line but they believe Najee Harris will cure all their ills. Good luck with that.
On top of the foolishness of using a first round pick on a position that's the easiest to find production from by using less than premium draft assets for, if they do end up being any good, the smart business decision is to not pay them a second contract and to let them walk. That does not sound like a situation that I would want to squander such a valuable draft asset on.

Thats the thing, in hindsight it was a mistake based on what we saw in the superbowl. Imagine your offense having kelce, hill, and a lot of playmakers look like a football jv team. As far as the Steelers, their offensive line took a big with pouncey retiring. Everyone else is basically average in that line. Their line situation is actually worse than ours right now. I am fully agreeing with you on your post FYI and pretty much my point.

First off maybe KC just selected the wrong RB? I mean I did not see many draft boards or top 100 lists that had him over Swift, Taylor or Dobbins. I was shocked he was the first RB chosen. Again how can you predict what position group will get injury plagued before the playoffs? WR help? They have plenty of that, with Watkins, Hill, Hardeman, etc.. What they didn't have was a young stud RB, Williams was serviceable and McCoy is shot.

Pittsburgh can make you laugh and I am shocked they have not identified a better plan for Ben. But they make the playoffs every yr for a reason, they have a FO that knows what they are doing.

How is it foolish to choose say a Jonathon Taylor over a Charles Harris? I don't give a **** if you get 4 yrs and dump the guy that is better than the 4 years you wasted on a JAG like Harris. There is very flawed thinking here. I get not wanting to pay a top 10 price but if you have multiple picks in the 1st or pick late there is still value there.

Would you take Taylor or Iggy? I know that I wanted Swift or Taylor, I will bet they both have a better career than a project CB.

Yea our team is still being rebuilt and Flores and Grier are doing a great job. We can draft RB's in the first or second by next year.
We have not had a good RB since Ricky Williams was here, that is criminal. But hopefully you are right.

View attachment 75356

View attachment 75357

So let me get this straight, in 2020 only 8 individuals rushed over 1,000 yards that happen to be Running backs. And teams like the Steelers, and the Jaguars picked a RB in the first round. I am pretty sure with FINHEAVEN logic, most of you here thought it was a great idea. For the Jaguars it was a horrible idea to draft a RB. They had the 2nd worst defense in the league! Look at the amount of defensive players that were still available for them, and they drafted a RB? The Steelers had bigger needs than a RB, as much as I love Harris, and his story is inspirational, it was horrible for the Steelers to draft a RB with bigger needs. With that said, the Dolphins elected a free safety/slot corner as their third pick. The top 3 most skilled positions in football are without a doubt QB, Corner, Safety, and offensive/defensive line positions. Why draft a RB when you have even bigger needs for your team? Be thankful that our Front Office didn't make this stupid mistake. Our line last season was 25th in the league ranked, and our run blocking was one of the worst in the league. So you get a RB with no one to block for the RB? Not saying every RB is as talented in this draft, but why bother drafting a RB in a league that is pure passing. And don't bother mentioning Henry because the AFC South has one of the worst run defenses in the league. Had the Titans played in a decent division he would have had 750-800 less yards rushing.
Hmm...

Let’s see, do I trust the judgement of juniorseau55 or Urban Meyers and Mike Tomlinson?

That’s a really tough call.

What makes Meyers and Tomlinson experts on football? What have they ever accomplished when it comes to building a winning team?

Hmm...

Let’s see, do I trust the judgement of juniorseau55 or Urban Meyers and Mike Tomlinson?

That’s a really tough call.

What makes Meyers and Tomlinson experts on football? What have they ever accomplished when it comes to building a winning team?

Eh nice try, you know what this thread is about. Spinning it to that direction is silly. They wouldn't be the only teams in history making this mistake regardless who is the one calling the shots. Besides, if I was the only one making this observation is one thing, but I am not alone.

Eh nice try, you know what this thread is about. Spinning it to that direction is silly. They wouldn't be the only teams in history making this mistake regardless who is the one calling the shots. Besides, if I was the only one making this observation is one thing, but I am not alone.
You and others are also spinning, I see no difference. Who said they were making mistakes? The proof is in the pudding my man. You are comparing what a mediocre franchise is doing (Miami) and saying it is better than what WC and playoff teams do (KC,Pitt and Balt).

We are trending up but to think that Grier and Flores **** rainbows is funny. They are not infoulable and have made many questionable personnel moves and picks. I just think Flores can cover up a lot because he is the best coach we have had since JJ at the very least and possibly Shula. But again he has not shown the ability to get much out of the offense. So excuse myself and others if we are a wee bit skeptical.

A lack of production and three OC's, including a two headed monster this yr will certainly add to that skepticism.

First off maybe KC just selected the wrong RB? I mean I did not see many draft boards or top 100 lists that had him over Swift, Taylor or Dobbins. I was shocked he was the first RB chosen. Again how can you predict what position group will get injury plagued before the playoffs? WR help? They have plenty of that, with Watkins, Hill, Hardeman, etc.. What they didn't have was a young stud RB, Williams was serviceable and McCoy is shot.

Pittsburgh can make you laugh and I am shocked they have not identified a better plan for Ben. But they make the playoffs every yr for a reason, they have a FO that knows what they are doing.

How is it foolish to choose say a Jonathon Taylor over a Charles Harris? I don't give a **** if you get 4 yrs and dump the guy that is better than the 4 years you wasted on a JAG like Harris. There is very flawed thinking here. I get not wanting to pay a top 10 price but if you have multiple picks in the 1st or pick late there is still value there.

Would you take Taylor or Iggy? I know that I wanted Swift or Taylor, I will bet they both have a better career than a project CB.
I don't think you get my point. You say that KC may have just picked the wrong running back. Isn't that the same case when Miami selected Harris over Watt? Who would have a bigger impact on the success of your team, an elite pass rusher or an elite running back? I think the NFL answers that question for you when you look at who gets paid the big contracts. You don't even need elite production from the running back position to have a high scoring productive offense.
To answer your question about Iggy. From a value of position standpoint, yes I would have taken the corner over the running back. Especially when you factor in how important secondary play is to the success of the system Miami runs on defense. Productive and even elite running backs are found later in the draft or even after the draft at a much higher rate than any other position on the field. Drafting a running in the first round is just a bad strategy for team building in my opinion.

You and others are also spinning, I see no difference. Who said they were making mistakes? The proof is in the pudding my man. You are comparing what a mediocre franchise is doing (Miami) and saying it is better than what WC and playoff teams do (KC,Pitt and Balt).

We are trending up but to think that Grier and Flores **** rainbows is funny. They are not infoulable and have made many questionable personnel moves and picks. I just think Flores can cover up a lot because he is the best coach we have had since JJ at the very least and possibly Shula. But again he has not shown the ability to get much out of the offense. So excuse myself and others if we are a wee bit skeptical.

A lack of production and three OC's, including a two headed monster this yr will certainly add to that skepticism.
That's hardly because of the running back position. It's because of the QB position and everyone in the league understands that that's what makes an offense go. San Francisco runs the sh*t out of the ball (without an elite high drafted running back mind you) and they can't get over the hump because of their QB situation. That's why they just mortgaged a good deal of their future to try and get it fixed.

Back
Top Bottom