Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upset we didn't draft a RB early? I am open to understanding that type of logic.

You and others are also spinning, I see no difference. Who said they were making mistakes? The proof is in the pudding my man. You are comparing what a mediocre franchise is doing (Miami) and saying it is better than what WC and playoff teams do (KC,Pitt and Balt).

We are trending up but to think that Grier and Flores **** rainbows is funny. They are not infoulable and have made many questionable personnel moves and picks. I just think Flores can cover up a lot because he is the best coach we have had since JJ at the very least and possibly Shula. But again he has not shown the ability to get much out of the offense. So excuse myself and others if we are a wee bit skeptical.

A lack of production and three OC's, including a two headed monster this yr will certainly add to that skepticism.

Maybe those teams are good playoff teams, and maybe you are right. History tells us that most regimes in miami have a good year or two, and then followed up by people getting fired so in a way I can see your perspective. With that said, on paper right now Fitz, this team improved greatly, specially in defense. We held the 6th ranked defense all year long last season, added a pass rusher, future safety, and improved our defense. The offense right now is questionable in spite of us adding players, and that is because we don't know how this two coordinator gig is going to end up in offense. However, this topic is about runningbacks and I already pointed out some cold hard facts for teams that chose rb over much needed positions. If you don't think that the Jaguars adding a rb over a defensive player with a 31st ranked defense, and that the steelers adding a rb over an offensive lineman, or the chiefs choosing a rb over an offensive linemen aren't sound moves for a team then you aren't looking at those facts right.

I don't think you get my point. You say that KC may have just picked the wrong running back. Isn't that the same case when Miami selected Harris over Watt? Who would have a bigger impact on the success of your team, an elite pass rusher or an elite running back? I think the NFL answers that question for you when you look at who gets paid the big contracts. You don't even need elite production from the running back position to have a high scoring productive offense.
To answer your question about Iggy. From a value of position standpoint, yes I would have taken the corner over the running back. Especially when you factor in how important secondary play is to the success of the system Miami runs on defense. Productive and even elite running backs are found later in the draft or even after the draft at a much higher rate than any other position on the field. Drafting a running in the first round is just a bad strategy for team building in my opinion.

After qb, corner/defensive back is the hardest position to play. Technically, Iggy is more valuable than any position other than QB. KC's oline situation isn't something new at all, but picking a rb didn't workout for them in the end as good as he was. That offense is ran around Kelce, Hill, Mahommes, and his ability to be successful for Clyde depends on those players more than their pay defended on him.

We have not had a good RB since Ricky Williams was here, that is criminal. But hopefully you are right.

This isn't a running league anymore and my post showed the production of individuals. Fact that Lamar Jackson is discussed among the top 8, and that he is over 22 other rb starters should give you a hint.

I have a Question.

How do any of you, who are just soooo devastated we didn't draft your favorite Alabama runningback know that he would be better than Gaskin, Ahmed and Brown? Doaks might be better...

The fact is none of you know. Harris could be Trent Richardson 2.0.

My point is to ignore obvious logic: that even the National media members and former pros admit; that we had an amazing draft: because we didn't draft the 1 or 2 runningbacks that you knew the name of pre-draft is getting absolutely obnoxious and all of you are starting to come off pretty ignorant.
Why should we trust Flores with the running game?
The guy that repeatedly shoved Ballage out when a much more talented guy was present?
he destroyed the running game which was at least mediocre
Will NEVER get over the fact after an entire year Fitzpatrick led the team in rushing
Unthinkable and unforgivable
He has no credibility when it comes to RB's

This isn't a running league anymore and my post showed the production of individuals. Fact that Lamar Jackson is discussed among the top 8, and that he is over 22 other rb starters should give you a hint.
Again only in bizzaro world you have a 36 year old QB lead yoyr team in rushing and he ain't no L Kackson

People laugh at me when I say I am ok with Gaskin. I mean, I like his ability to catch from the backfield. Let's let our RB duke it out for a starting position. The Chiefs came with no line to the superbowl with the best tight end, and the best receiver in the league. What did they do? Nothing!

I'm temporarily okay with Gaskin. In my opinion he's a great #2 and okay #1 if you can open him some holes.

That said I wanted a top HB for this team because it allows you to impose your will offensively against any defense if you can run and pass at a high level.

too little times

We don't have any players in our offense that led the league in scrimmage yards, but if there is one player that led the team it was him. So how much our running game depends on our passing game is obvious. He cannot generate anything if the passing game isn't generating anything. We don't have dominant players in offense at all, so why expect one to be more dominant than the other? Parker didn't catch 1,000 yards, but he had more scrimmage yards than he did.

Again only in bizzaro world you have a 36 year old QB lead yoyr team in rushing and he ain't no L Kackson

What are you talking about ? I was just pointing that Lamar Jackson rushed for over 1,000 yards, and thats more than 22-24 starts in this league.

We have not had a good RB since Ricky Williams was here, that is criminal. But hopefully you are right.
At least we had 1000 yd type backs not 400yd ones

What are you talking about ? I was just pointing that Lamar Jackson rushed for over 1,000 yards, and thats more than 22-24 starts in this league.
And i am saying we had a QB lead our team in rushing under Flores also
And ours is disgraceful
1620135843403.png

I'm temporarily okay with Gaskin. In my opinion he's a great #2 and okay #1 if you can open him some holes.

That said I wanted a top HB for this team because it allows you to impose your will offensively against any defense if you can run and pass at a high level.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.42.29 AM.png

This illustrates how much of a passing league this league is. The Bucs won the Super bowl with a veteran qb passing for 4,500 yards, and rushing for only 1,500 yards. The Chiefs went to the Super bowl rushing for only 1,700 yards.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.49.19 AM.png

This is a list of the top rushing teams in the league. If having such a great RB leads to better results then why aren't the chiefs, or the bucs in this list? Ravens have the best rushing offense, but they scored only 3 points in that lost to the bills? The Packers have a great running game but they couldn't beat the bucs. Why aren't they able to rush the ball the same way in the playoffs? The best teams in this league right now do not have the best running game in the league and let alone in some situations aren't even in the top 15.

View attachment 75356

View attachment 75357

So let me get this straight, in 2020 only 8 individuals rushed over 1,000 yards that happen to be Running backs. And teams like the Steelers, and the Jaguars picked a RB in the first round. I am pretty sure with FINHEAVEN logic, most of you here thought it was a great idea. For the Jaguars it was a horrible idea to draft a RB. They had the 2nd worst defense in the league! Look at the amount of defensive players that were still available for them, and they drafted a RB? The Steelers had bigger needs than a RB, as much as I love Harris, and his story is inspirational, it was horrible for the Steelers to draft a RB with bigger needs. With that said, the Dolphins elected a free safety/slot corner as their third pick. The top 3 most skilled positions in football are without a doubt QB, Corner, Safety, and offensive/defensive line positions. Why draft a RB when you have even bigger needs for your team? Be thankful that our Front Office didn't make this stupid mistake. Our line last season was 25th in the league ranked, and our run blocking was one of the worst in the league. So you get a RB with no one to block for the RB? Not saying every RB is as talented in this draft, but why bother drafting a RB in a league that is pure passing. And don't bother mentioning Henry because the AFC South has one of the worst run defenses in the league. Had the Titans played in a decent division he would have had 750-800 less yards rushing.

2nd round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
5th round pick
ufa
3rd round pick
2nd round pick
1st round pick
1st round pick
1st round pick
1st round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
3rd round pick

pretty sure this means something. yes there are outliers like robinson but that's not the norm. the best players regardless of position are picked higher. you could make the argument that the second round provides a greater value back on your investment for running backs. but i don't see a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders here.

and if we kept going the next few guys on that list - 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st. barkley was out for the year or else he'd be on there. 1st round. same with mccaffrey. 1st round.

it was a no brainer to get javonte and we blew it. period. holland is a nice player and i like him a lot as a prospect in flores' defense but the impact he would have in a good year is far inferior to the impact a 1000 yard / 10 td rusher would have, especially in the late months / bad weather games.

View attachment 75392

This illustrates how much of a passing league this league is. The Bucs won the Super bowl with a veteran qb passing for 4,500 yards, and rushing for only 1,500 yards. The Chiefs went to the Super bowl rushing for only 1,700 yards.

View attachment 75393

This is a list of the top rushing teams in the league. If having such a great RB leads to better results then why aren't the chiefs, or the bucs in this list? Ravens have the best rushing offense, but they scored only 3 points in that lost to the bills? The Packers have a great running game but they couldn't beat the bucs. Why aren't they able to rush the ball the same way in the playoffs? The best teams in this league right now do not have the best running game in the league and let alone in some situations aren't even in the top 15.

Its a copycat league, so when one team begins a strategy other teams follow behind. In my opinion it makes it hard to determine what "wins" when everyone just wants to be who won last year.

I also said you have to do both. If you think our offense is otherwise set at QB, Receiver, TE there is nothing wrong with drafting a back.

Id also say a lot if that has to do with skill at the HB position. Henry is currently the only guy who can carry a team on his back currently. We haven't had a dominant HB like Peterson or LT enter the draft since AP.

I'm not condoning running over passing. I'm condoning adding that running game when you're set at QB/WR/most the Oline in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom