UT hires former Dolphins Assistant Derek Dooley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UT hires former Dolphins Assistant Derek Dooley

chirkware

UT Vols Fan
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm a Tennessee fan, and I'm not sure what to think about this one...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4830127

He coached under Saban at LSU, and followed him to Miami. When Saban left, he went to Louisiana Tech rather than following him to Alabama.

What do you guys remember about him in his time with the Fins?

All I remember is that he was tight ends coach under Saban...

I thinks it's a good hire considering the circumstances Tennessee was in...I'm more familiar with his father Vince Dooley who was the legendary coach at Georgia during the 60's and 70's and even served as AD for a while at UGA..

The Dooley name is synonymous with SEC football...Derek was raised on SEC football and he understands what it's all about.....he's familiar with the recruiting circles and without a doubt has more than a few important ties with football people all over the South...

If he can surround himself with good assistants....he should be able to make it work....and he'll be there for a long time and provide some stability.....and his teams will be fundamentally sound and do the little things well...

At the least I think he's a guy that Tennessee fans can respect and know that he's going to give it everything he's got.....I think he was a very strong candidate for the Mississippi St. job before they hired Mullen...

He's a good coach. He did well against BSU and LSU last season.

I'm sorry to see him go; it looked like a WAC school was finally heading in the right direction.

Plan E hire and he could end up being a lame duck if the AD gets fired, but he's a rising coach. He was Saban's best recruiter at LSU.

His tenure at LA Tech should be judged like Turner Gill at Buffalo (though what Gill did was much tougher); tough situation, and take a joke program and turn them respectable. Plus, rumors are that Saban and the Bama coaching staff was really hopinh that Dooley would not get the job since he understands how things work in the SEC. He's also in a lot of ways a mini Saban. Not as big of a jerk as Saban is, but runs his program similar.

It's still a better hire than Kiffen.

I figured they would get a BIG name coach. This is pretty suprising from my eyes.

I'm underwhelmed by this hire if I'm a UT fan. Of course, if you can't get anyone else, then you don't have much to work with.

Back
Top Bottom