Vegas must know something | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vegas must know something

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
The line on the game has gone all the way down to 3 1/2. Speaking of betting, Darren Sharper was just on with Hank Goldberg on QAM, Hank asked him if Favre was practicing, Sharper was kind of evasive and said "...if I was a bettin' man, I would bet he would be out there Monday night" or something like that. He also said they've got some guys coming back from injury, but they've got some folks walking around "with the sniffles" since the weather has changed up there. He also said they expect a big dose of #34, and he thinks the 'Phins will try to make it a physical contest. He didn't mention anything at all about the Dolphin receivers, which I thought was kinda odd for a safety. He said Ray did a lot of good things on the first drive, and they expect him to play more like the 1999 version than the one that played two weeks ago. He also said that he had to go check his locker to see if Najeh Davenport got lost again on his way to the toilet. ( Just kidding ! )

This isn't a game that would typically have a big line for vegas. The Phins are too good and too unpredictable...losing to guys they shouldn't lose to and beating guys they shouldn't beat.

But I take it as a good sign that Vegas is getting uneasy over the outcome. I think we'll win. Favre will play. End of story.

Well as of last night, the line was 5 1/2 point spread. Now it's down to 3 1/2 which tells me a lot about the GB Packers and who starts or who's not doing so well in practice.
It's rare to see a line drop 2 complete points this close to a game, but who knows. Not me.

All the way down to 3 1/2? It has only been 4 all week. They are probably getting a little nervous Farve won't play. I'd bet the house he will play.

Originally posted by IceStorm
Well as of last night, the line was 5 1/2 point spread. Now it's down to 3 1/2 which tells me a lot about the GB Packers and who starts or who's not doing so well in practice.
It's rare to see a line drop 2 complete points this close to a game, but who knows. Not me.

That is very rare to see a spread drop 2 points. Where have you seen it at 5.5? It has been 4 all week in the local paper

Originally posted by IceStorm

no all that means is alot of people are betting the under, dont go by Vegas for a predication of a game.

What it means, is that a ton of people are betting on the Dolphins to win, or lose by less than 5.5 points. Vegas accordingly, has dropped the line to 3.5 points in hopes of encouraging more people to bet on the Pack.

By gametime I wouldn't be surprised to see the line hit below 3 points.

Unless there are a bunch of turnovers - Vegas is right. This should be a very close game.

Well in the pool I am in, I have the Pack at 4.5. So they better beat the spread this week. ;)

Temp at the start of the game is suppose to be mid 30's, I am hedging that Favre will come through on 2 counts

1) He excells in low temps
2) He has excellent games after he has been hurt. When he sprained his ankle, the following game he threw 5 TDs.

Originally posted by Squirrel
Well in the pool I am in, I have the Pack at 4.5. So they better beat the spread this week. ;)

Temp at the start of the game is suppose to be mid 30's, I am hedging that Favre will come through on 2 counts

2) He has excellent games after he has been hurt. When he sprained his ankle, the following game he threw 5 TDs.

and who did he beat in those games? did they have the best CB's in the league going against him? one of the best DE's in the game? Ricky williams running at them? who exactly did favre chew up on? well, i have a different take. This is a different chess match. i think it will be ahman green against ricky williams. I think there will be some serious TE action by both teams. it will be tight period.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
What it means, is that a ton of people are betting on the Dolphins to win, or lose by less than 5.5 points. Vegas accordingly, has dropped the line to 3.5 points in hopes of encouraging more people to bet on the Pack.

Thank you Parrothead, I was beginning to think I would scroll the whole thread before someone got this right.

Not a lot of gamblers in here I take it.

To make money, the house needs equal betting on both teams. When the betting is lopsided, they adjust the point spread to even it out. They do NOT sit there and re-analyze the matchup or collect info going into the game. It's based purely on what the bettors are doing. So no, Vegas has no "inside information."

However, Phins fans might be encouraged that the betting public, at least, is on their side.

The line opened at 4.5 Packer in the Chicago Tribune and as of today its 4.5. So naturally, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it moves.......

Sharper has a long standing rivalry with Cris Carter. They battle it out verbally and physically every time they meet. My guess is that you didn't hear him mention the receivers because he was trying to avoid generating any bulletin board material.

Originally posted by MGD
Sharper has a long standing rivalry with Cris Carter. They battle it out verbally and physically every time they meet. My guess is that you didn't hear him mention the receivers because he was trying to avoid generating any bulletin board material.

umm wrong thread MGD? ;) :lol:

Originally posted by Squirrel

Those stats are only to show a certain stat boy is a bigger nerd than the rest.

Honestly I don't know who you think you are playing, but the temp doesn't matter to this Miami team. You win in bad weather by being able to run the ball and play tough defense. Your not playing a track team like the Rams or Saints. Besides Thomas and Williams I don't think Miami has a starter that didn't play college or pro ball in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom