Vermeil just said...good news for Surtain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vermeil just said...good news for Surtain

PhinsPhan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Vermeil just said that their "window is closing gradually" on the nfl draft special on ESPN. He said they need to upgrade their defense to bring it to a level that is reasonable with their offense. Nothing new here except that he believes their window is closing.

1) He thinks they have a shot at the superbowl (could be legitimate or not)

2) He thinks it is now

3) They need defense

Since there is really no one left out on the market for corners and surtain is going at a bargain value they would be stupid to not take them. I think this deal will get done, there is just probably no urgency on the deal until draft day.

PhinsPhan said:
Vermeil just said that their "window is closing gradually" on the nfl draft special on ESPN. He said they need to upgrade their defense to bring it to a level that is reasonable with their offense. Nothing new here except that he believes their window is closing.

2) He thinks it is now

3) They need defense

Since there is really no one left out on the market for corners and surtain is going at a bargain value they would be stupid to not take them. I think this deal will get done, there is just probably no urgency on the deal until draft day.
Thats good news, can't watch because I am at work but did he mention any trade specifics?

Not sure if this has been posted either but it seems appropriate to post here:

I was listening to Fox Sports Morning Extravaganza this morning and Vermeil was on there. When asked about Surtain, he said that they were still very interested but said that it was a 30%/70% chance that it would happen, 30% being positive. He was also asked about Ty Law and stated that they were still interested in him as well.

Take it for what it's worth, just what I heard...

Saban has said form day 1, we will get what Surtain is valued at. he never said it was just a #2. we keep holding out, afterall we have nothing to lose, keeping Pat is fine by me, and who knows, we get KC's 2nd and a late rounder as well.

it is KC that is sweating right now, not us.

PhinsPhan said:

2) He thinks it is now

3) They need defense

he also said he only saw a 30% chance of them trading for Surtain

M3590NJ973 said:
Thats good news, can't watch because I am at work but did he mention any trade specifics?

no.

it was actually Kiper who mentioned Surtain specifically. Vermiel just said he had a short window with guys like Roaf being near the end. Basically not wanting to waste the offensive talent by NOT having a defense to back them up.

Well if we keep him we should move a CB to FS. Perhaps Surtain would do it for a year. Or Poole, he hits like gangbusters for a CB.

Maybe hes finally wiping his glasses clear of tears and realizing he better ante up if he wants Surt. Green, Priest and Gonzalez do deserve some support from the other side of the ball

Well, he has ZERO % chance of making it to the big dance with no defense and currently....he has no defense.

Bowl_Bound said:
Well if we keep him we should move a CB to FS. Perhaps Surtain would do it for a year. Or Poole, he hits like gangbusters for a CB.

In no way would I move one of the better corners in the league to safety...that's a total waste.

besides, I would not see surtain agreeing to it the year before he's a free agent. He would take a hit in his FA contract value. Even though I am a big fan of safeties....corners are valued WAY above safeties...contractually.

Saban should put an expiration on Surtain's availablility. I was one of the first to agree that we needed to move Surtain due to salary cap reasons and having such little draft picks but this is getting out of control. The Chiefs think were gonna just give him away and it isn't gonna happen. I'd almost enjoy us rejecting their offer even if it met Saban's original requests. Let the window shut on them...they've had their chance.

No it has to happen before !!!
PETERSON: “It’ll have to be before Saturday because of the complexity here. We can not trade for a player unless we have a contract in place that would fit our cap. So that necessitates that he would have to sign a contract with Miami and then we would trade that contract. His current contract would be too much for us cap-wise. It’s about $6 million dollars and it’s about $8 _ million to them including his pro-rated signing bonus. He’s an expensive player, a very talented one – couple of Pro Bowls. He’s a veteran corner that we’ve looked at closely for the last number of months.â€Â

Q: A deal will be done then by the time you get to your first round choice.

PETERSON: “It’ll have to be done. It will not be possible to do this during the draft. There’s just too many things to accomplish beginning with a signed contract.â€Â

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/19/qa_with_carl_peterson_the_draft__the_offseason/

Back
Top Bottom