Vernon not doing that well, I wonder | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon not doing that well, I wonder

coach72

coach72
Reaction score
Personally for me athletically Vernon has it all, but as we are starting to learn, it takes a sufficient amount of mental toughness to man the offensive line position. Vernon hasn't shown to Saban that he posesses that determination as oposed to Hadnot yet. Yet being the key word, like I said if Vernon is not to make it and is labled a bust, it's because his heart wasn't in it not skill. I still agree with the pick, but only at tackle.

I think we'll be hearing about Vernon Carey (and a lot more players for that matter) in time. I haven't heard any bad news about him lately, so no bad news in good news in my mind. And good news is just an added bonus and for something to be more excited about. I have a lot of confidence in Hudson Houck and I have a lot of confidence in Houck coaching Vernon into a good starting Offensive Lineman. I think it could happen and I'm hoping it does... I agree with you about how it takes a lot of mental toughness for him (or anyone for that matter) to man the Offensive Line position. The probably with last year I think was that he was not given a fair chance mainly because of Wanny. I trust Houck and I trust Saban, so I think this will be Carey's year to show us what he's really got to offer and I really think (and am rooting for) him to be in the starting line-up. I expect some news on Vernon soon enough.

The fox sports reported youre referring too applies only to the interior OL positions. It was in 1 of the florida papers (sentinel I believe) where I read that Carey was playing very well @ LT, a position more based on skill then blowing players off the line.

Would Saban want to tell the enemy that are new LT is doing great??? I would wait till 5 min. before gametime to announce he's starting. I didnt like the Wanny period when we all knew who was hurt..what was going on, it was to open. I like this much better.

FuturePhin said:
Would Saban want to tell the enemy that are new LT is doing great??? I would wait till 5 min. before gametime to announce he's starting. I didnt like the Wanny period when we all knew who was hurt..what was going on, it was to open. I like this much better.

:yeahthat:

coach72 said:
Personally for me athletically Vernon has it all, but as we are starting to learn, it takes a sufficient amount of mental toughness to man the offensive line position. Vernon hasn't shown to Saban that he posesses that determination as oposed to Hadnot yet. Yet being the key word, like I said if Vernon is not to make it and is labled a bust, it's because his heart wasn't in it not skill. I still agree with the pick, but only at tackle.

The mental part of a players game gets evaluated as well as the physical part, if he is a bust then some here were right about Spielman reaching with that pick and it being a mistake.

Last year besides being his rookie year was also with wanny. This year with Houck will be a whole new experience. I guarentee he will get more playing time. I would expect to see him @ RT. I also think either W.Smith or J.St.Clair will play C.

I really hope this kid works out.

Saban seemed a little cagey about Vernon last week on 790.

I hope he succeeds. I wanted us to pick him and I still agree with the pick.

MoTown Finman said:
Last year besides being his rookie year was also with wanny. This year with Houck will be a whole new experience. I guarentee he will get more playing time. I would expect to see him @ RT. I also think either W.Smith or J.St.Clair will play C.

Thats Stockars Position

I'd like to see Vernon make it into the lineup, whether it be at RG or LT. He's got size, power, and good athleticism...but he's pretty raw. If he gets his head in the game, he could be real good.

coach72 said:

What makes you say that vernon has or has not shown suttin to Saban?

is this a feeling or did you hear this or read this?

It would be really nice to see him in the starting oline soon because we spent a first round pick on him last year and not only that we traded to move up and pick him so he better get whatever mental toughness he needs to improve

Being that he was picked by the last regime, I say let him battle it out in TC like everyone else. I would give him nothing, especially if his mental toughness is questioned. Nothing builds mental toughness like a little adversity, if he can't win playing time so be it. I would hope that they just chalk him up as a bust and move on from there. . . .

FinsFanatic said:
What makes you say that vernon has or has not shown suttin to Saban?

is this a feeling or did you hear this or read this?

Read the Hadnot article on the home page. It mentions that Carey there and says that he hasn't shorn the mental toughness that Hadnot has.

Back
Top Bottom