Versatility will be the key for Saban. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Versatility will be the key for Saban.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I believe that when the draft is over, many people will be making comments about how versatile the players Nick Saban has picked are.

When thinking about the possibilities of who Nick will take in this draft, and you have several different candidates, you probably won't be wrong by projecting the player that is the most versatile at that particular pick.

For instance, let's take the number two pick. Let's just say for the sake of arguing, that Miami has narrowed down their choices at the third pick to Aaron Rodgers/Alex Smith (whichever one is available), Braylon Edwards, and Ronnie Brown.

Both Rodgers and Smith are versatile in their quarterback abilities because they bring the plus of being able to run without that ability being their best asset. In my opinion, if Nick takes a quarterback, he's probably going to take one that has the ability to make plays with his legs when nothing is open. Of course, he isn't going to sacrafice passing ability to do that.

Braylon Edwards is a receiver, and it is tough to see what kind of versatility a receiver has. Edwards is a big target though that can make plays down the field and isn't afraid to catch the intermediate and over the middle stuff.

Ronnie Brown is a very versatile running back though. He has the ability to play on all downs and in all situations. He can be a short yardage back with his size, strength, and power. He can be a long yardage back with his speed and receiving ability. He's very similar to Ahman Green, who is probably the most versatile running back in the NFL right now.

I'm still going with my gut feeling, despite the fact that I believe Nick is very open to taking a quarterback with this pick. I believe the Dolphins will take Ronnie Brown with that second pick.

Good post and I agree with you Ronnie is Saban's man.

I think Ricky Williams is going to commit to coming back to the Phins and Saban is going to take advantage of the one-year reprieve to grab us our QB of the future, depending on which one falls.

Alex Smith is much more in line with the QBs Saban has had in LSU with their abilities to run. Rogers and Smith may have about the same 40 times, but Smith had I believe what was deemed to be a considerably better cone drill, and considerably more experience running with the ball in his hands.

I hope we grab a qb as well, and if worse comes to worse pick up ATrain for a year to help Gordon carry the load, or no train and have Ricky come back.

I think CK is closer than we all think. It wouldn't surprise me to see Miami strike a deal with Ricky close to draft day and then see us move down and fill holes.

I really don't think we've heard the last of Ricky and the Fish. I personally would welcome him back with open arms. I want to win, he gives us a better chance. That to me is ALL it comes down to.

I think that the court decision in our favor almost sealed it. Ricky would rather come back than file bankruptcy, according to the reports he'd have to split up all his money and give it to the three mothers of his three children to get around giving it back to the phins. If the Phins would drop it all just for him coming back, I think he'd do it.

I think he'd rather file bankruptcy than come back. This guy wants to live every moment doing whatever comes to mind.

I just can't see Nick Saban bringing him back and depending on the guy so much that he'd ignore the position in the draft or otherwise. If he came back, it'd be under a lower-end, no risk deal.

I can't see him coming back here right now.

I disagree, there's a method to Ricky's madness and there's a reason he brought the arbitration to court and a reason he is still thinking of bringing it to a court one step below the Supreme Court even though the NFLPA has advised him not to. He likes being able to take these trips to India on a whim, etc. He's not on great terms with all of the mothers of his kids (see his court battle) so he probably doesn't want to just up and give all of his liquid assets to his baby mommas. If I were the phins, I'd tell him we won't pursue collection if he just comes back for a year.

Free will has nothing to do with this. We've got him by the balls and if we want, we can squeeze much harder.

Back
Top Bottom