Very Interesting Prospect -- DE Van Brown | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very Interesting Prospect -- DE Van Brown

Chad will be 35 this year...he's only a year younger than Seau...way too old, and like Dupree said, has tons of injury concerns

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Chad Brown is the perfect linebacker if you want someone who will be hurt

I'd be willing to take Chad Brown at close to league minimum just to get him to try and teach Van how to be a professional and get his head on straight. He sounds like he's got the make-up to be a pretty good player but needs to straighten out, I doubt there's many people out there that could get to him any better than his own brother. Sounds like Chad really wants to play with Van, hopefully he'd be willing to take a big pay cut at this point in his career to do so.

I'd sign Chad, but not to be a starter, but rather a situational player like a designated pass rusher in the nickel package. This would imo save a lot of wear and tear on his body and have him doing what he does best, get after the QB.

What I find most interesting about him is his first name. Van? Whats up with that

I'm familiar with Van Brown. I went to USC in the '80s and still attend a few games a year. He played reserve end for us in 2002 and 2003 then transferred very late last year, on the brink of the season, complaining about lack of playing time. He can be a blur off the edge but isn't exactly instinctive and takes time to redirect.

When I asked the sports information director about his transfer he laughed and said, "I'm surprised it took so long. He finds something to complain about everywhere he goes. He usually doesn't last more than six months."

Below is a link to a bio on Van Brown. Almost 24 years old and 7 years out of high school. Notice the erratic behavior. Enrolled at Oregon but never played. Sat out '99 completely. Hey, just because he can't budge the sideline at USC doesn't mean he can't start for the Dolphins.

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brown_van00.html

the guy sounds like a freak of nature - can't wait to see him play

I wouldn't count on seeing him play. Guys with that kind of erratic history don't usually get their stuff together in the 11th hour to all the sudden be a good pro. Saban is not a miracle worker, he is just a coach who will literally give whichever player shows up the best the job. That has to appeal to every player who feels he's the best. Problem is what happens when Van shows up to camp, and all these other players are better than him and get the reps? He'll leave, and probably midway through training camp.

Perhaps this USC signing had something to do with Tim Davis, our assistant OL coach formerly of USC...

Just saying...

Dolfan1000 said:
Perhaps this USC signing had something to do with Tim Davis, our assistant OL coach formerly of USC...

Just saying...

It's probably got more to do with the fact that Saban recruited him to Michigan State, which was going to be one of his many stops. I think he backed out on Michigan State when Nick left.

J Tes said:
What I find most interesting about him is his first name. Van? Whats up with that
Maybe his parents were fans of Van Morrison. :)

Back
Top Bottom