Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

I was just going by this opinion

Well... that is one opinion, however it is without context about the quality of said 'press coverage'. Was it by a 180 lb sophomore? We'll never really know.

Heck, this random fellow could be right, though, you know I have my doubts.

If we draft him and he practices against X and Jones... (and Iggy, who'd beaten him previously) then he'll see REAL press coverage.

Ya know?

Well... that is one opinion, however it is without context about the quality of said 'press coverage'. Was it by a 180 lb sophomore? We'll never really know.

Heck, this random fellow could be right, though, you know I have my doubts.

If we draft him and he practices against X and Jones... (and Iggy, who'd beaten him previously) then he'll see REAL press coverage.

Ya know?
This random fellow? Lol. And I agree, whatever WR they choose will get a great education on the press in Dolphins’ practice

I think Smith will be the preference if they cant trade out. Tyreke Hill is the most elusive WR in the NFL and everyone sees how KC uses him all over the field and teams love to copy success. Watching Smith against OSU catch swing passes or quick outs and easily get 10-12 yards every play is hard not to want for Tua. I know alot of fans compare Smith to Marvin Harrison but Smith is far more elusive with even quicker burst. He just will have to limit getting hit- thats the risk in picking him.

I have said over and over... that Smith WILL go in the first round, I have no doubts on that...

But I have also said that it will be a mistake. Undersized WRs get overdrafted many times.

It is my opinion that drafting Smith and then having to scheme him off the line would be a like overpaying for a stock and then trying to goose it's value.

...and I am VERY familiar with Smith, I just have a different opinion than yours over his next level potential, I don't think he'll fare well against older and stronger opponents in a more balanced league. This is very consistent with how any prospect is judged when raising a level of competition.

If you think having a different opinion means that I lose some sort of credibility.., then fine, I'm not here to strive for anyone's opinion.
I liked Smith a lot last year, I figured we could get him in the 2nd.....maybe as far back as with the NO pick.

I think he's a first round talent for sure, despite his size.

Picking him in the top 3 though, I don't know about that.

I think there are enough good players we could trade down at least once and pick up assets. I mean Cincinnati seems like a good trade partner even though I don't think they trade up often. I'm pretty sure they'll target Sewell if he's available. I wouldn't expect the world for them to trade up in that scenario, maybe 1 premium pick and another small piece?

Detroit and Carolina are both possible trade partners but I fully expect Carolina to be in on Watson if he's available and that starts with pick #8.

The point is, we don't even know who the best WR is in this draft. One played his senior year, another took the year off and a third got hurt. A whole bunch of others didn't play on a Championship team with that level of QB play.

I liked Smith a lot last year, I figured we could get him in the 2nd.....maybe as far back as with the NO pick.

I think he's a first round talent for sure, despite his size.

Picking him in the top 3 though, I don't know about that.

I think there are enough good players we could trade down at least once and pick up assets. I mean Cincinnati seems like a good trade partner even though I don't think they trade up often. I'm pretty sure they'll target Sewell if he's available. I wouldn't expect the world for them to trade up in that scenario, maybe 1 premium pick and another small piece?

Detroit and Carolina are both possible trade partners but I fully expect Carolina to be in on Watson if he's available and that starts with pick #8.

The point is, we don't even know who the best WR is in this draft. One played his senior year, another took the year off and a third got hurt. A whole bunch of others didn't play on a Championship team with that level of QB play.
I've said many of those same things...

Just because there are quite a few 'Bama homers here at Finheaven is no reason to lose sight of the fact that the experts are divided over who the number 1 WR is. The Smith followers will write posts as if there is no question and only a blind man can see that... blah blah blah... but the real experts are divided. Indeed, most of them seem to put Chase in front of Smith.
There are also real questions about Smith's actual height and weight... and whether it will allow him to play at a high level in the NFL... yet the 'bama homers act like there's no question...

The same guys said that Tua was at least 6'1" and would be a God right away, and as we could see... neither were true.

Last year, many of them were so in LOVE with Tua that they thought we should trade up to get him... and now the same guys are swearing that none of the top three WRs will fall out of the top 8-10 players...

These guys were impatient... and WRONG last year, and I believe that they are impatient and WRONG this year.

I'm not even sure that Bateman or Marshall aren't better than Smith... or Chase.

The fact that they are so determined and so convinced... just makes me doubt them all the more. People who are THAT sure of their own opinions scare me.

I get the nfl comparisons but we need to stop comparing smith to bruce , harisson, Holt, or insert sub 185 lb NFL receiver. Not every rb with Barry Sanders size had the same success he did.

I've said many of those same things...

Just because there are quite a few 'Bama homers here at Finheaven is no reason to lose sight of the fact that the experts are divided over who the number 1 WR is. The Smith followers will write posts as if there is no question and only a blind man can see that... blah blah blah... but the real experts are divided. Indeed, most of them seem to put Chase in front of Smith.
There are also real questions about Smith's actual height and weight... and whether it will allow him to play at a high level in the NFL... yet the 'bama homers act like there's no question...

The same guys said that Tua was at least 6'1" and would be a God right away, and as we could see... neither were true.

Last year, many of them were so in LOVE with Tua that they thought we should trade up to get him... and now the same guys are swearing that none of the top three WRs will fall out of the top 8-10 players...

These guys were impatient... and WRONG last year, and I believe that they are impatient and WRONG this year.

I'm not even sure that Bateman or Marshall aren't better than Smith... or Chase.

The fact that they are so determined and so convinced... just makes me doubt them all the more. People who are THAT sure of their own opinions scare me.
Not saying I don't agree with a lot of this but Chase as Sophomore was better than Jefferson who was a Junior and definitely better than Marshall.

How many small or light receivers also get the recognition Smith did in college?

How many small or light receivers prove to be as dominant as Smith was?

Could it be that Smith is just special?

What Keyshawn seems to miss is, just because there are not many successful receivers with Smith's body size, does not mean Smith can't succeed or be special.

In the NFL at 6'1, Smith is going to end up putting a bit of muscle, so by 2022 or 2023, Smith at worst will be 6'1 185 to 190, but what Keyshawn fails to talk about is, Chase chose not to take part in College or the Senior bowl this year, and went from 200 to 207. Not only did Chase not show the same love to play football like Smith did this year, but while at home he did not have the same drive to succeed to still workout at home, and stay in shape, instead of allowing himself to gain weight.

There are three things that are for certain when comparing Chase to Smith...

1. Chase is bigger then Smith.

2. Both are extremely talented players.

3. Smith is far more driven, with more heart for the game and to succeed then Chase.

So you think Smith doesn’t opt out if he already received a top 10 grade and plays on a horrible team like LSU was this year?

You think a kid gaining 7 pounds shows a lack of dedication? 😂

No matter how many different ways it can be spun - the facts don’t change when you get right down to it.

Smitty was out there on the field breaking records, winning Heisman Trophies, eviscerating everything in his path, and leading his team to a championship - while Ja’Marr Chase was sitting on the couch stuffing Cheetos in his mouth patting himself on the back for having one good season while his team fell apart.

Now that I think about it I might have to agree with the Chase fanbase - one guy does sound like a perfect fit for the NFL.

Not saying I don't agree with a lot of this but Chase as Sophomore was better than Jefferson who was a Junior and definitely better than Marshall.
While all of this is pretty much true, none of it implies which one will be better in three years... or five... or ten.

Too many times, I believe that potential growth is not considered when these ratings are made.

Paul Warfield was 6' 185lbs. Smith is very similar size. Stephon Diggs is only 6' even but he goes 190 versus Smith's 175. Smith needs an NFL camp and an NFL trainer and they'll get him in peak physical condition and put a few pounds of muscle on him. Smith will end up a lightning fast and very powerful 6' 180 lbs, Antonio Brown is 5'10" and 180lbs and he's pretty darn great. We do have Preston Williams 6'5" 220 and and 6'3" 210 lbs DeVante Parker so it's not like we're smurfs! BTW Gisecki is 6'6" and 250 lbs. Smith is a perfect fit and Tua to Smith is already a deadly combination. Watch some Tua to Smith tape and you'll love what Tua looks like firing TDs all over the field to Smith. Smith elevates our offense more than almost any player in this draft imo.

Back
Top Bottom