Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
A warning for Dolphins fans: With any player, there’s a temptation to nitpick as the draft nears. Concerns become magnified; production becomes easier to gloss over.

So get ready to hear two months of discussion about whether Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith, listed by his university as 6-1 and 175 pounds, is less equipped for NFL success than Ja’Marr Chase, who was listed at 6-1 and 200 pounds by LSU before opting out of playing last season. (Chase is now widely listed at 207.)

Former Pro Bowl receiver and current ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson, speaking of Smith’s modest size, said “outside of Tyreek Hill and Tyler Lockette, the rest of the dudes are big. We don’t talk about smaller receivers in the National Football League. We’re talking about big dudes. Those are the ones at the top of the charts —- the big guys.”

A lot will depend on the Combine and Pro days for these players that sat out 2020 to see what kind of shape they are in. But I admit to being one those people that does not want Allen Hurns or Albert Wilson back for 2021 because they bailed on their team, so I'm not for drafting college kids that did the same. You gotta love to play football. I'm taking DeVonta Smith for that reason over Chase every day of the week. We already have BIG wr's.

Keyshawn invalidates himself in comparing a couple 5-9, 5-10 guys to a player that’s 6-1.
Smith isn’t short or small, he’s thin. There’s a difference.
He’s also got great length, something neither of those two shorter players have.

Secondly, Keyshawn surely forgot about Stefon Diggs, Will Fuller, Jarvis Landry, Desean Jackson, Robert Woods, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, and O’Dell Beckham, who are all 6 foot or under and certainly not “big dudes”. There are a lot more too.

As for Smith v. Chase, I’m already on record believing that Smith is the better fit. But I won’t be upset if MIA ends up with Chase instead. Or Waddle for that matter. All three are exceptional and the best in this class IMO.

Now, if they can somehow draft 2 of the 3, I’ll be an ecstatic Dolphins fan.

Lots of thoughts in the article on both players- the one from Reid about ‘chase needing a qb that throws a lot of faith balls to him’

I honestly think for Tua- Smith would be the better pairing.

The Tua-Smith connection is already there.
Chase sounds like he's game is another D.Parker! Throw the ball up and have faith in me to make a play on it.

A lot will depend on the Combine and Pro days for these players that sat out 2020 to see what kind of shape they are in. But I admit to being one those people that does not want Allen Hurns or Albert Wilson back for 2021 because they bailed on their team, so I'm not for drafting college kids that did the same. You gotta love to play football. I'm taking DeVonta Smith for that reason over Chase every day of the week. We already have BIG wr's.
I feel similarly. Plus, Smith may have eclipsed Chase with the way he played this year.

I would definitely lean towards players who played. Although, I don't fault those who didn't if they had good reasons, like living with grandparents or those with a higher risk.

I dont like the Tyreek HIll comp at all for Smith because Hill is built like a brick sh*t house, his stature is very deceiving. With Smith I cant help but be concerned with his build considering where we would be picking him. I love his skill set but for me Chase is the pick. If I thought Smith was next level compared to Chase or anyone else then Id swing for the fences (Smith's upside) but I think Chase is every bit as talented and a safer pick.

Tired discussion, but I'd prefer to give Tua more time to throw, and pressure the opposing QB. Chase slightly over Smith though, can't afford to let "what have you done for me lately" to be the deciding factor. We need to up **** now! Go Fins

Last edited:
Anyone ask Tua?

Hard to predict who will be successful in the NFL? Who will stay healthy? Who will be able to learn the playbook? Nobody really knows the answers to these questions, but Tua probably knows who will put in the work or grind through an injury.

I would add Waddle to the mix. It may come down to who is left at pick 8 after a trade down.

With Smith I cant help but be concerned with his build considering where we would be picking him.

Explain why you have that concern. Point to past precedent.

I’ve posed this question numerous times now to those that bring up Smith’s build. But haven’t received a response, let alone a worthwhile response.

Name some notable receivers this millennium — under the current passing and contact rules — that didn’t make it or hold up unequivocally because of their build.

Furthermore Smith lasted 4 years in the SEC — arguably the most physical league in college football with the best collection of DB talent — without issue.

Again, people are repeating narratives that make sense to them but isn’t backed up by anything of substance.

Last edited:
I prefer Smith but I will be happy with Chase, Smith, or Waddle. As long as they get one of these 3 WR’s, it will be a major upgrade for the WR position for the Dolphins.

I also hope they add one of the top free agent WR’s along with drafting one of the top 3 WR‘s.
I think we're gonna see one or the other, I don't see them tying up too many assets in one position whether it is draft capital or cap space. Just my hunch though. As you stated, I also wouldn't mind seeing 1 in FA and one of the top 3 drafted. I think if we pick up a top-tier FA we will draft a WR in the later rounds. The FA period will be telling...

Back
Top Bottom