Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

Im still having a hard time with people complaining about his weight, nevermind history or projections. What difference would 10-15 pounds really do over a 6'1" frame that'd make him so much more likely to do well in the NFL?

I've said many of those same things...

Just because there are quite a few 'Bama homers here at Finheaven is no reason to lose sight of the fact that the experts are divided over who the number 1 WR is. The Smith followers will write posts as if there is no question and only a blind man can see that... blah blah blah... but the real experts are divided. Indeed, most of them seem to put Chase in front of Smith.
There are also real questions about Smith's actual height and weight... and whether it will allow him to play at a high level in the NFL... yet the 'bama homers act like there's no question...

The same guys said that Tua was at least 6'1" and would be a God right away, and as we could see... neither were true.

Last year, many of them were so in LOVE with Tua that they thought we should trade up to get him... and now the same guys are swearing that none of the top three WRs will fall out of the top 8-10 players...

These guys were impatient... and WRONG last year, and I believe that they are impatient and WRONG this year.

I'm not even sure that Bateman or Marshall aren't better than Smith... or Chase.

The fact that they are so determined and so convinced... just makes me doubt them all the more. People who are THAT sure of their own opinions scare me.
Seems like you’re just as sure of your own opinion as you claim others are of theirs

Smith is fragile. no -brainer
Kid has never been hurt, played high level high school basketball, could of played D1 in that sport, played High school football, all four college years, and he’s never hurt..he‘s lean as hell but that dude is absolutely wired Differently, which is an actual thing..

Kid has never been hurt, played high level high school basketball, could of played D1 in that sport, played High school football, all four college years, and he’s never hurt..he‘s lean as hell but that dude is absolutely wired Differently, which is an actual thing..
But he hurt his finger in a game!!!!

His clean injury history is a big thing. Some players are blessed in the way they fall or take hits to avoids killer shots. I'm a U of Miami fan as far as college ball so don't tag me a Smith lover cause I love Bama, I don't. I'm in love with the fact that when Chase bailed on his team Smith played, I love that great chemistry already exists between Tua and Smith and finally I love the tape on the player who is still ascending. His best game was his last game where he destroyed Ohio St. in one half! He helped Bama to a 52-24 crushing of Fields in the Championship game, he comes up big in the biggest games when the money is on the line. I want this guy on the Dolphins. We likely could trade down to 6 or 7 and still get him.

Fun Fact: Going back 20 years (2001) there have been 28 receivers drafted in the top 10. Of those 28 ONLY three have won Super Bowls and one was not with the team that drafted him.

2014 - Sammy Watkins - KC 2020 (drafted by the Bills)
2014 - Mike Evans - TB 2021
2008 - Jordy Nelson - GB 2011

I don't like picking receivers in the top 10. IMO it's just not a good ROI on them, they do not touch the ball enough or make enough of an impact. Top 10 picks to me are QB, OT, CB, Edge, and sometimes LB. Outside of that I just don't see the value.
And since 2001 ONLY 4 of the 26 tackles drafted in the top ten picks has won a SB. So I'm guessing you don't see the value there either.

Im still having a hard time with people complaining about his weight, nevermind history or projections. What difference would 10-15 pounds really do over a 6'1" frame that'd make him so much more likely to do well in the NFL?
Back when I was evaluating players for a living, I would always look at the measurable traits and if there was an anomaly, I would focus on that during my film watch to see how it impacted their game. If you don't do that second step, then it's just poor, lazy evaluation.

So you think Smith doesn’t opt out if he already received a top 10 grade and plays on a horrible team like LSU was this year?

You think a kid gaining 7 pounds shows a lack of dedication? 😂

To answer both question Yes and Yes.

So you think Smith doesn’t opt out if he already received a top 10 grade and plays on a horrible team like LSU was this year?

A college receiver that did everything possible to show he may be one of, if not the best college receiver going into this coming draft, still decided to go to the Senior Bowl...where was Chase?

Smith had a monster game, dislocated his finger, and still was driving his trainer, coaches crazy because he wanted to go back out...Have you ever dislocated, broken, or jammed a finger in a game? It's not fun, but the man JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL.

You think a kid gaining 7 pounds shows a lack of dedication?

I don't know about you, but during highschool, there was rarely a time that I gained 2 pounds or more while playing football. When in college, and no longer playing pretty much of anything consistently (Football, Basketball, Baseball, even Hockey in those rare moments when my friends and I were able to get together), and not one year did I gain more then 4 pounds.

Chase is supposed to be a world class athlete, my body if I didn't work out, I would eventually start gaining weight, yet in no year during college, when I was no longer as physically active in sports, was not able to work out as much as I used too, still did not gain more the five pounds in a year.

You know why? Because I still did not pig out, and sit on a couch allowing myself to gain weight. This is the most important time in his life, and as a receiver, gaining weight is the last thing he needs, because it effects his speed, his route running, his conditioning, which eventually scouts, coaches will see. If he can't take seriously the moment that could make him a multi-millionaire, how will he act when he has his guaranteed money? 🤔

Seems like you’re just as sure of your own opinion as you claim others are of theirs
Actually... if you read my stuff, you will quickly see that most of it is just speculation.

It's like my mock drafts; I try dozens of approaches... different players, I move things around. I lean this way.. or that, and try to stay out of love with any particular player, and more in love with particular themes-- like drafting prototype players or more valuable positions.

Feel free to question my leanings, I don't get butthurt like 'bama fans, analytics fans, and hard-core gamblers.

:pnkr:

Last edited:
And since 2001 ONLY 4 of the 26 tackles drafted in the top ten picks has won a SB. So I'm guessing you don't see the value there either.
As I said I see value in an OT, but and OT is out there for every offensive snap, and is part of the play. I just don't see value in a receiver in the top 10...JMO

if the 2 WR are of equal talent the physical skills win out. Question is IS one better than the other? If yes, draft that player higher. If both are equal, then take. one with the better pysical skills like speed or agility. Take the better route runner if one is better. Phins will try to trade down for a 22 number one pick.

Fun Fact: Going back 20 years (2001) there have been 28 receivers drafted in the top 10. Of those 28 ONLY three have won Super Bowls and one was not with the team that drafted him.

2014 - Sammy Watkins - KC 2020 (drafted by the Bills)
2014 - Mike Evans - TB 2021
2008 - Jordy Nelson - GB 2011

I don't like picking receivers in the top 10. IMO it's just not a good ROI on them, they do not touch the ball enough or make enough of an impact. Top 10 picks to me are QB, OT, CB, Edge, and sometimes LB. Outside of that I just don't see the value.
Many don't want to hear anything about the historical value of highly selected WRs.

I usually get one of two responses.

They either point to outliers like M. Harrison, thinking their guy is special, or the just say history is no indication.

Occasionally I get the NFL is different now.

I've found it to be a pointless arguement, because they usually don't accept the basic premise of positional value, with respect to draft position. They feel the team is so desperate for playmakers, they are willing to gamble against the odds.

Sometimes a desperate bet pays off big. Usually not so much.

Newsflash: Outside of QBs who have the most immediate impact on winning and losing of any other position by a long shot, for every other position more players in their respective top 20 are not going to be on playoff teams.

When you make the claim that WRs aren't moving the needle and that you value them less than linebackers (what?), then maybe try and show that the top linebackers are littered all over playoff rosters, otherwise you're just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks.
Have to agree about LBs. That is not a premium position for high draft picks.

I was scatching my head too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom