Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

Hard to compete without high-end receivers. Outside of QB, you can't really say that about any other position. You can make it work with good enough pretty much anywhere else - as long as the overall talent is good enough. Very hard to fudge passing weapons.

Look at 2019 vs 2020 Brady. He looked 10x better while learning a new system at 43. Receivers are vital.

The value of the position is pretty clear. So, bust-potential stands as the most reasonable gripe with drafting a WR early. The Top 3 don't have any more bust potential than a Top OT prospect like Sewell.

There is a reason Smith did not weigh in at Mobile, he is not 175 lbs. I think that is pretty obvious and if he did indeed put on 10-15 pounds of muscle would it slow him down? Affect his twitch? Can he even add weight? I am sure he has tried, he is already 22 and part of the best program in college football. If he hasn't been able to do it by now then you are probably going with a 6'0 165 lb. WR, possibly bloated with some water weight at a pro day weigh in but it is what it is. He would easily be a top 3 pick at 6'3 220 with 4.3-4.4 speed but that is not part of the equation.

I think he drops when the measurables are verified and we could get him on a trade down but 3 is too rich.

There is a reason Smith did not weigh in at Mobile, he is not 175 lbs. I think that is pretty obvious and if he did indeed put on 10-15 pounds of muscle would it slow him down? Affect his twitch? Can he even add weight? I am sure he has tried, he is already 22 and part of the best program in college football. If he hasn't been able to do it by now then you are probably going with a 6'0 165 lb. WR, possibly bloated with some water weight at a pro day weigh in but it is what it is. He would easily be a top 3 pick at 6'3 220 with 4.3-4.4 speed but that is not part of the equation.

I think he drops when the measurables are verified and we could get him on a trade down but 3 is too rich.

3 is too rich for any non-QB.

Damn I remember when we drafted Jayson Taylor and some people thought he wasn't big enough to be a DE.......some people wanted to play him at LB and I remember an interview with him where he said "people want me to gain weight but why do I need to do that when I'm our there kicking butt and taking names?"

Yes I know is two different positions but the fact is that people need to stop with the weight thing. Smith is not a FB.....he's a smooth WR. Nobody's gonna ask him to run over people. He might turn out to be great and he might not but I don't think it's gonna have anything to do with how much he weights and I don't believe that he's only 165 lbs.

Hard to compete without high-end receivers. Outside of QB, you can't really say that about any other position. You can make it work with good enough pretty much anywhere else - as long as the overall talent is good enough. Very hard to fudge passing weapons.

Look at 2019 vs 2020 Brady. He looked 10x better while learning a new system at 43. Receivers are vital.

The value of the position is pretty clear. So, bust-potential stands as the most reasonable gripe with drafting a WR early. The Top 3 don't have any more bust potential than a Top OT prospect like Sewell.
J, always like and respect your takes but do you really think that Sewell is riskier than a 6'0 165 lb. WR? I would say that Sewell is by far and away the most unbustable pick in this draft and will be a Pro Bowler if not All Pro. It is not that I don't want Chase or Smith but this draft is so deep at WR that they will be readily available in the 2nd round.

But I guess it is a pretty deep draft at OT also so maybe that part of the debate is void but still. I am not advocating for Sewell but if made to stay at 3 I have to think long and hard about it. At 18 we can trade up for Waddle or Pitts, stay and get Bateman or Marshall. In the 2nd guys like Rondale Moore are there. Should be interesting.

J, always like and respect your takes but do you really think that Sewell is riskier than a 6'0 165 lb. WR? I would say that Sewell is by far and away the most unbustable pick in this draft and will be a Pro Bowler if not All Pro. It is not that I don't want Chase or Smith but this draft is so deep at WR that they will be readily available in the 2nd round.

But I guess it is a pretty deep draft at OT also so maybe that part of the debate is void but still. I am not advocating for Sewell but if made to stay at 3 I have to think long and hard about it. At 18 we can trade up for Waddle or Pitts, stay and get Bateman or Marshall. In the 2nd guys like Rondale Moore are there. Should be interesting.
Are you going to call him Smith at some point or will he always be the 6'0 165 lbs WR to you?.....lol

I am VERY anti-WR in the early part of round one, and very pro-OT, and I'm here to say that yes, the OT pool is fairly deep this year. You can make the same argument for waiting on a Tackle that you can in waiting on a WR.

I think we need whoever creates more separation, that may be Waddle, I think that's going to be key for Tua

Are you going to call him Smith at some point or will he always be the 6'0 165 lbs WR to you?.....lol
Certainly mean no disrespect as he seems to be a model citizen and a great kid. I certainly won’t be that disappointed if we draft him. Just trying to wrap my head around the measurables at a pick that will command scrutiny.

Based on my understanding, a WR with super-elite skills (separation, ball skills, RAC) who is quick and fast and has done it at the highest level CFB has to offer is about as safe as it gets.

I want to trade down. But, I think either Sewell, Smith, Pitts, Chase, or Waddle would be not terrible at 3. You're not maximizing the pick (imo) either way, but those would be my top non-QB options if Miami is stuck at 3.

I am VERY anti-WR in the early part of round one, and very pro-OT, and I'm here to say that yes, the OT pool is fairly deep this year. You can make the same argument for waiting on a Tackle that you can in waiting on a WR.
I am not anti-WR but the pick at 3 has to be a sure fire stud.
Based on my understanding, a WR with super-elite skills (separation, ball skills, RAC) who is quick and fast and has done it at the highest level CFB has to offer is about as safe as it gets.

I want to trade down. But, I think either Sewell, Smith, Pitts, Chase, or Waddle would be not terrible at 3. You're not maximizing the pick (imo) either way, but those would be my top non-QB options if Miami is stuck at 3.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom