Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins

i rarely if ever advocate drafting a running back in the first round, or the first half of the second round.

i didn't this year.

but i would like one of two things, or both: an alvin kamara/christian mccaffrey type of back that is a threat to house it every time you hand it to him or throw it to him (and you throw it to him a lot).

a derrick henry type, who may not ever (or rarely) house it, but is so powerful he just demolishes the other team and they are unable to stop him in the 4th quarter.

i don't see anything like that on the team right now.

not too many of those kinds of players exist. etienne might be kamara-like, so i wanted him in this draft, but not at 18.
So what we are left with... is... can we find a unicorn?

...and I think this is why Grier was so dismissive of the RB questions. I'm not convinced that he thought that ANY of the backs were that good.

I read Kamara as Etienne-lite... and Williams as a Henry-lite, but I just wasn't convinced... and evidently, neither were they.

Kamara came out of the third round, I believe... so there is that.

Agree with your points but still want that back who will pick up a 3rd or 4th short down yards consistently. Then at the end of the game I want a back that can milk the clock and keep the other offense on the bench. Those 2 things done consistently than a back who breaks big runs every now and then.
Malcolm Brown might be that guy, or better yet, Doaks maybe.

I'm left with this... It's VERY doubtful that a guy like this will be available at this point in free agency, and it's pretty unlikely that this guy is even available early. All that's on the market now are one year rentals who can come in and be your 3rd RB.

I'd be game for drafting a RB every year, so long as we did it on the third day. That way, if they underwhelm, we just draft another one... especially on a team where the GM has made it abundantly clear that he wants to enter EVERY draft with 10 selections, and will trade down in order to make that happen.

So what we are left with... is... can we find a unicorn?

...and I think this is why Grier was so dismissive of the RB questions. I'm not convinced that he thought that ANY of the backs were that good.

I read Kamara as Etienne-lite... and Williams as a Henry-lite, but I just wasn't convinced... and evidently, neither were they.

Kamara came out of the third round, I believe... so there is that.
Same.

Didn't see any of those guys as the surefire unicorn.

If we don't win the super bowl this year, lol, but we are a really good team, and we improve next offseason, that might be the time to sprinkle that unicorn onto this roster for the SB run.

We added Malcolm Brown

As much as I would love a lead back, I don't see it happening

Get used to the 4 headed monster of Gaskin, Ahmed, Brown and Doaks

Only way that changes is if there is a back out there willing to compete for a spot. Nothing will be handed

Same.

Didn't see any of those guys as the surefire unicorn.

If we don't win the super bowl this year, lol, but we are a really good team, and we improve next offseason, that might be the time to sprinkle that unicorn onto this roster for the SB run.
I'm with you on that too. I think the only teams that can take a RB in the first are teams who are already deep everywhere else.

I’d rather add a no name than most of those names.

If you told me I’d have Myles Gaskin healthy all year and the opportunity to draft a top RB next year I’d tell you our situation I’d ideal as it is.

We have enough RBs please knock it off.
But they aren't good enough. Do a deep dive into the numbers like we have on our DolphinsTalk podcast and the stats from last year are very bad and don't lie.

1. The only team in the league without a run over 31 yards the Miami Dolphins
  2. Dolphins RB's combined last year only broke 19 tackles total in 16 games (that's all their running backs together) only 2 teams RB's broke fewer tackles
  3. Yards after contact Gaskin was 83rd of 142 RB's
  4. Yards after contact Ahmed was 107 out of 142 RB's
  5. Dolphins RB's averaged 1.4 yards after first contact, dead last in the NFL last year

The Dolphins were the worst running back group in the league last year, and these aren't o-line stats these are stats when the RB is past the o-line. They get hit they go down. They break no tackles. To think Malcolm Brown and his 2 career starts ever will not improve this group to where it needs to be I have a hard time believing. Not saying Miami had to add a RB in Rounds 1 or 2, but to think a vet isn't needed now to add to this committee I think is hoping the group will be better and not doing everything possible to make it better. Which is what they need to do, as "hope" isn't a strategy.

Agree with your points but still want that back who will pick up a 3rd or 4th short down yards consistently. Then at the end of the game I want a back that can milk the clock and keep the other offense on the bench. Those 2 things done consistently than a back who breaks big runs every now and then.
Malcom Brown is great in short yardage.

San Francisco runs the sh*t out of the ball. Who is their elite running back that was drafted early ?

I'm not sure that I understand this obsession with Running Backs...

1. The position has been GREATLY devalued from the old days. The rules have changed to make this a passing league, first... and last. If you are looking for a RB, he'd better be what we used to call the West-Coast style of Running Back-- a pass catcher... Alvin Kamara, Roger Craig.
2. The Bellichick coaching style believes in running back by committee. And we have a committee now... Gaskin caught 41 passes in 10 games last year. Ahmed might be as good as Gaskin. Brown is a thumper and a goal line back and he too can catch. Then we added Doaks, who looks like he might actually be a three down back...

I think that many here are trying to obtain something that might not even exist-- a 1970s style RB and a 1970s style offense.
Only the Titans run anything close to that kind of offense. Agreed - RB is so unnecessary. I mean the Giants took Barkley and as good as he is he doesn’t help them win, nor does McCaffery in Carolina. The Chiefs won the SB w Damien Williams as their feature back (he should have gotten the game MVP IMO) and he truly is no different than a Gaskin or Ahmed, etc. Yes he looks better on KC than he did here but so would Gaskin & Co. To that end, I guess in retrospect their was no need to give up a draft pick for Breida. Taking a flier on Jordan Howard made sense but he had nothing left. Screw the RB position. Just give us some guys who can get the yards when you need them, punch in short yardage and catch passes out of the backfield which is where it’s been at for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom