Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins

I’ll be floored if Gore hooks on w a team this year. That guy is crazy. I also keep forgetting that Alfred Morris still plays. No one exciting on that list.

People want a RB that scares the defense a bit. Most expect RPO to be a significant part of the offense and you need the defense to believe that a run is coming and could hurt them for the pass part to be most effective. A big part of that is just attempts. As long as the coaches don't abandon the run game, the RPO can be somewhat effective. But if you have a back that can break some tackles on his own and/or get some long runs then the RPO's effectiveness hits another level. (Basically an accurate QB with a quick release, WRs who can get quick separation and a RB that will make you pay for sitting back looking for the pass is a tough ask for any defense).

That's the vision rather than some 70's offense. And while Gaskin was good he probably doesn't scare defenses. The fact is that while our offense was improved last year and Gaskins got a respectable number of yards, we were among the league worst at breaking tackles and +20 yard runs. It is perfectly reasonable to look at an area where your team was one of the worst in the league and want to improve there. We can expect some improvement from the OL development and some from the better spacing our upgraded WRs should provide. But whatever that improvement is, it would obviously be even better with a more dynamic back.
my thought processes, we were not ready for a running back. To get the most out of the position it has to be one of the last pieces of your team. I think next year may be the time they're ready to commit to a back out of college. We will see

Only the Titans run anything close to that kind of offense. Agreed - RB is so unnecessary. I mean the Giants took Barkley and as good as he is he doesn’t help them win, nor does McCaffery in Carolina. The Chiefs won the SB w Damien Williams as their feature back (he should have gotten the game MVP IMO) and he truly is no different than a Gaskin or Ahmed, etc. Yes he looks better on KC than he did here but so would Gaskin & Co. To that end, I guess in retrospect their was no need to give up a draft pick for Breida. Taking a flier on Jordan Howard made sense but he had nothing left. Screw the RB position. Just give us some guys who can get the yards when you need them, punch in short yardage and catch passes out of the backfield which is where it’s been at for a long time.

& Elliot hasn't exactly lit the word on fire either

it's still a valid subject to discuss…
True.
But, we have a new RB roster with a rookie and a well-proven pounder, in Brown.
Can we let them play a few games before we feel the need to staff 6 RBs?
Also, our line looks to he much better next year.
On paper we really don't need to sign more RBs.

I mean, 3 seasons ago we had Drake, Ballage and Gore.....way more talent. Way less production.

Blocking plays so much more of a role in rushing than anyone gives credit.

Drake was traded for a bag of balls because as talented as he was, he is a god awful pass blocker, which is a liability and the reason he is not a #1 back anywhere. All our RBs understand that blocking is going to be expected, and that's why guys like Laird/Gaskin/Ahmed have stuck to our roster like glue. They aren't guys who will be pro bowlers, but they can block, hit open lanes, and catch. 3 goods surpassed our great talent in Drake for sure in my opinion.

I mean, 3 seasons ago we had Drake, Ballage and Gore.....way more talent. Way less production.

Blocking plays so much more of a role in rushing than anyone gives credit.

Drake was traded for a bag of balls because as talented as he was, he is a god awful pass blocker, which is a liability and the reason he is not a #1 back anywhere. All our RBs understand that blocking is going to be expected, and that's why guys like Laird/Gaskin/Ahmed have stuck to our roster like glue. They aren't guys who will be pro bowlers, but they can block, hit open lanes, and catch. 3 goods surpassed our great talent in Drake for sure in my opinion.
The other side to it are those who believe you can run any Joe schmo behind an all pro oline. That isn't the case either. Like life, it falls in the middle.

San Francisco runs the sh*t out of the ball. Who is their elite running back that was drafted early ?
Not about where they are drafted. That isn't the conversation. SF has been able to find capable running backs who can produce. Has MIami? Thus far no.

Who on that list is better than what we have?
At this time in their careers, those FA who are left may not be a huge upgrade to what we now have. If anything they may try to trade with a team who has several good RBs and may be looking for a TE, or a day 3 draft pick next year.

True.
But, we have a new RB roster with a rookie and a well-proven pounder, in Brown.
Can we let them play a few games before we feel the need to staff 6 RBs?
Also, our line looks to he much better next year.
On paper we really don't need to sign more RBs.
Most teams go into training camp with 6 or more rbs. Miami currently has 6, 7 if you count Perry as a back as he's listed even though most would agree he's a slot wr. Not counting Perry Miami has Gaskin, Ahmad, Brown, Doaks, Laird and Scarlett. If Miami could find one or two players to replace Laird and Scarlett to provide better competition for training camp I think that would be a good thing. If whoever they sign comes in and out plays any of the top 4 great, we should have no sacred cows at the position.

The other side to it are those who believe you can run any Joe schmo behind an all pro oline. That isn't the case either. Like life, it falls in the middle.
I mean, Ezekiel Elliott performed pretty similar to Tony Pollard, one was a top 5 overall pick. 2 seasons ago both were great, last season both were awful.

Back
Top Bottom