Vic Fangio brings big changes to the Miami Dolphins' defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vic Fangio brings big changes to the Miami Dolphins' defense

The blitz craze of the past few seasons looks to be over. I'll admit I loved the zero cover when it was working. Lots of fun to watch.

But Fangio is a different beast all together. Let's hope the reports of the positive reactions of the Miami players, to the new scheme, translates to an improved defense in 2023.

I

t was 100% our biggest issue.
It was actually the lack of turnovers. Then sack totals. Which were low because of our off coverage. Then third down percentage. Which was also poor because of our off coverage. Plus we were bottom three in defensive penalties. By a lot. But we had the most first downs by penalty than any other defense. That’s crazy.

as much hype as this defense coordinator has and with the investment we have now in Chubb and Ramsey this defense better be at least top 10 this year.
I agree. But the offense has to do a better job with TOP as well.

Miami is playing basically the best of the best every week so top 10 will be a challenge.

The blitz craze of the past few seasons looks to be over. I'll admit I loved the zero cover when it was working. Lots of fun to watch.

But Fangio is a different beast all together. Let's hope the reports of the positive reactions of the Miami players, to the new scheme, translates to an improved defense in 2023.
I agree. The cover zero was so dominating at times. But when teams figured it out, Miami had zero answers.

I'm not overly concerned with yards as a measuring stick. Miami plays teams that will move the ball. Redzone, third down, scoring defense...that's where I'm looking for huge improvement.

Not to nick pick but the stats he posted for Phillips are not true

The Dolphins selected edge-rusher Jaelan Phillips with the 18th overall pick in the 2021 draft out of Miami, and Phillips had 10 sacks in his rookie season. Impressive enough, but Phillips’ 2022 season was a breakout — he matched his 2021 total with 10 sacks, but his pressure numbers skyrocketed from 39 to 77 — only five edge defenders had more total pressures last season.

Phillips had 8 his first year and 7 1/2 last season.

No biggy but easy stats to find so why not look them up before using them in your article instead of making ones up to prove your point :shrug:

Anyways I think our D is in good hands

I agree. The cover zero was so dominating at times. But when teams figured it out, Miami had zero answers.

I'm not overly concerned with yards as a measuring stick. Miami plays teams that will move the ball. Redzone, third down, scoring defense...that's where I'm looking for huge improvement.
I want them to defend every blade of grass.

I don't see how any Dolphin fan isn't over the moon with the potential of this defense. Fangio is, by all accounts, one of, if not the best DC in the NFL over the last decade or so. He has consistently improved defenses an average of 7-10 spots in his first year everywhere he's been. And the player talent on this defense is arguably among the best he's ever had to work with. I could easily see this defense finishing the year as a top 10 or even top 5 defense.

And you're pairing that with an offense that was #6 last year in the first year of a new system even with Tua missing 5 games. That's even with the OL everyone is so worried about.

Finishing the season with a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense is a very reasonable expectation. Arguably, it's a very likely outcome.

I don't see how any Dolphin fan isn't over the moon with the potential of this defense. Fangio is, by all accounts, one of, if not the best DC in the NFL over the last decade or so. He has consistently improved defenses an average of 7-10 spots in his first year everywhere he's been. And the player talent on this defense is arguably among the best he's ever had to work with. I could easily see this defense finishing the year as a top 10 or even top 5 defense.

And you're pairing that with an offense that was #6 last year in the first year of a new system even with Tua missing 5 games. That's even with the OL everyone is so worried about.

Finishing the season with a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense is a very reasonable expectation. Arguably, it's a very likely outcome.
with his expertise and the incredible overall talent of the defensive players he's got to be as excited as we are about him..

Van ginkel imo is the best 1 million dollar player in the game and has the ability to be a very good NFL player. and were trying to find ways to get him on the field more.

ive been saying this but what style offense cant we match up against?

Remaining FA Targets?
a. Akiem Hicks, DT
b. Matt Ioannidis, DT
c. Linval Joseph, DT
d. George Fant, T
e. Dalvin Cook, RB
f. Kwon Alexander, ILB

with his expertise and the incredible overall talent of the defensive players he's got to be as excited as we are about him..

Van ginkel imo is the best 1 million dollar player in the game and has the ability to be a very good NFL player. and were trying to find ways to get him on the field more.

ive been saying this but what style offense cant we match up against?
It would have to be something run heavy. We don't have one of those 2-gapping monster NTs that just clog the middle of the field.

Pats were run heavy ??
I'm answering the question what kind of offense might we have trouble matching up with next season. Fangio tends to use lighter boxes and usually uses a big NT to basically steal a gap. Our current defense doesn't have one of those.

A lite box has six defenders.

Well that really depends on what Personnel the Offense is in.

If the offense is in 11P and the TE is in the box, there are 7 gaps that the defense has to account for. If the defense lines up with only 6 defenders in the box, they’re light, so they’ll either have to bring another defender into the box post snap to account for the 7th gap, or they have to steal a gap.

But if the offense comes out in 21P and the TE & FB are both in the box, now there’s 8 gaps that need to be accounted for, and if the offense has only 7 defenders in the box, they’re again in a light box.

In 22P, there’s 9 gaps and with 8 defenders that’s a light box again etc.

Well that really depends on what Personnel the Offense is in.

If the offense is in 11P and the TE is in the box, there are 7 gaps that the defense has to account for. If the defense lines up with only 6 defenders in the box, they’re light, so they’ll either have to bring another defender into the box post snap to account for the 7th gap, or they have to steal a gap.

But if the offense comes out in 21P and the TE & FB are both in the box, now there’s 8 gaps that need to be accounted for, and if the offense has only 7 defenders in the box, they’re again in a light box.

In 22P, there’s 9 gaps and with 8 defenders that’s a light box again etc.
Never knew the distinction until you explained—makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the information!

Back
Top Bottom