Vikings Corner Xavier Rhodes Thinks X Should Get Paid | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vikings Corner Xavier Rhodes Thinks X Should Get Paid

X deserves his money and markey value is what it is, but he is not a shut down corner in the traditional sense. He does do a great job creating turnovers though.

“Deserves his money” is a nebulous term. Everyone here hopes he can be resigned to a mutually beneficial contract.
I have an issue with his inability to stay healthy for an entire season and the fact that he has had only ONE really good season.

You cant resign all your players who end up pro bowlers but you cant be the raiders and let them all walk either..
Sign X lock up one side

Right now if they lock him up X would be the highest paid player on the time iirc(This is assuming Tannehill, Wake etc gets cut).
One of the big challenges is that Tunsil becomes due the following year or year after I believe.
I think we all agree that's one player YOU HAVE TO pay.

So the question becomes how much of the team's money is going to be tied up in those 2 players?

I am 1000% against losing top shelf young talent like X -- but if the kid is gonna put a gun to the franchise$ head

then trade him and keep building the roster... You can't have dicks dictating your future and getting insane $$$

because it will certainly come back and bite you in a number of ways...

Beyond that -- X is somewhat damaged goods and is NOT remotely in the same league as epic corners like

Mike Haynes - Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson (who were ALL far more sturdy than X is ever gonna be).
THIS is the BigNastyFish type post I am completely on board with!

Look, some positions are simply more valuable than others. Everyone knows a QB is far more valuable than a G, and a CB1 is far more valuable than a DT. Just how it is. When you get a top shelf CB, yes, he is going to get paid, and teams that keep them tend to do well, and teams that let them get away tend to regret it. We can't dictate the contract terms, and if he is outside of the realm of reasonable … we have to cut our losses like @BigNastyFish suggested.

But, the Seahawks found a way to pay Richard Sherman, and they continued to have a dominant defense. The Jet's lost Revis … and never were the same again. Even the Carolina Panthers let a decent CB defect and never were the same defense. Yes, it's painful … but a 1st rounder isn't going to be enough for a guy who is already an elite CB1. Most never pan out, the few that do … you can't let slip through your hands.

But everyone has a price. We loved Jarvis Landry, but he proved to be too expensive, and we made the right decision letting him go. In this case, if we let X go we will get a 1st rounder+ at a time when we need draft picks and have a terrible void at CB1 in a year we're tanking. It makes sense. Honestly, it's a good problem to have right now. Still, if we can re-sign him, we should … because when we finish tanking and build the 2020 season, X is an irreplaceable asset upon which to build that defense. Coach Flores is a defensive coach … he understands how hard they are to find. Look at Belichick, even he traded with Buffalo in the division to get a CB1, and he benched a CB1 in the playoffs because he wouldn't re-sign .. and it probably cost him the Super Bowl honestly. And, think of how Belichick recruited Revis. Belichick knows the value of a CB1 … and I'm sure Coach Flores does too. Those guys are rare, and you need one. No, it's not a QB, but it is a precious resource.

Right now if they lock him up X would be the highest paid player on the time iirc(This is assuming Tannehill, Wake etc gets cut).
One of the big challenges is that Tunsil becomes due the following year or year after I believe.
I think we all agree that's one player YOU HAVE TO pay.

So the question becomes how much of the team's money is going to be tied up in those 2 players?
Agreed. If you have a young elite LT, and you're rebuilding behind a young (rookie) QB in 2020, you need to keep that LT.

I am 1000% against losing top shelf young talent like X -- but if the kid is gonna put a gun to the franchise$ head

then trade him and keep building the roster... You can't have dicks dictating your future and getting insane $$$

because it will certainly come back and bite you in a number of ways...

Beyond that -- X is somewhat damaged goods and is NOT remotely in the same league as epic corners like

Mike Haynes - Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson (who were ALL far more sturdy than X is ever gonna be).
NFL is business. lot player work for free on first deal. the second they want money. 2021 It could be lock out.

Work for free? That’s comical

In the grand scheme it isn’t that far off of an analogy, if you can take the hyperbole out of it.

Jarvis Landry for example bust his butt for 4 years, played in every single eligible game, put up record setting catch numbers during that span, yet his AAV was about $875k for those 4 years. You start taking taxes out and taking care of family and yourself with that . . . .hell you don’t have any money after that first deal if you aren’t a first round pick.

Meanwhile you have guys who don’t accomplish nearly that type of production over 4 years, or miss a bunch of games, but can easily snag a 3 year, $12 million dollar deal after the initial deal.

So while it isn’t working for free, it also isn’t really adding to the bank account either.

This is one of the few times Miami has a player that is deserved of a mega contract.

Olivier Vernon got massively overpaid. Jarvis Landry did, as well.

THIS is the BigNastyFish type post I am completely on board with!

Look, some positions are simply more valuable than others. Everyone knows a QB is far more valuable than a G, and a CB1 is far more valuable than a DT. Just how it is. When you get a top shelf CB, yes, he is going to get paid, and teams that keep them tend to do well, and teams that let them get away tend to regret it. We can't dictate the contract terms, and if he is outside of the realm of reasonable … we have to cut our losses like @BigNastyFish suggested.

But, the Seahawks found a way to pay Richard Sherman, and they continued to have a dominant defense. The Jet's lost Revis … and never were the same again. Even the Carolina Panthers let a decent CB defect and never were the same defense. Yes, it's painful … but a 1st rounder isn't going to be enough for a guy who is already an elite CB1. Most never pan out, the few that do … you can't let slip through your hands.

But everyone has a price. We loved Jarvis Landry, but he proved to be too expensive, and we made the right decision letting him go. In this case, if we let X go we will get a 1st rounder+ at a time when we need draft picks and have a terrible void at CB1 in a year we're tanking. It makes sense. Honestly, it's a good problem to have right now. Still, if we can re-sign him, we should … because when we finish tanking and build the 2020 season, X is an irreplaceable asset upon which to build that defense. Coach Flores is a defensive coach … he understands how hard they are to find. Look at Belichick, even he traded with Buffalo in the division to get a CB1, and he benched a CB1 in the playoffs because he wouldn't re-sign .. and it probably cost him the Super Bowl honestly. And, think of how Belichick recruited Revis. Belichick knows the value of a CB1 … and I'm sure Coach Flores does too. Those guys are rare, and you need one. No, it's not a QB, but it is a precious resource.

I actually think there are similarities between Jarvis and X situations.

A lot of people wanted to pay Jarvis, and there are argument for it. I think he priced himself out based on his abilities and desire to get paid like one typically does in the open market. Similar situation with X. I won't be mad if we let him walk and take a comp pick or trade him, while I'm sure half the board would be furious.

I actually think there are similarities between Jarvis and X situations.

A lot of people wanted to pay Jarvis, and there are argument for it. I think he priced himself out based on his abilities and desire to get paid like one typically does in the open market. Similar situation with X. I won't be mad if we let him walk and take a comp pick or trade him, while I'm sure half the board would be furious.

Different positions have different impacts.

Miami loses Jarvis and the offense goes from ****, to **** .

Back
Top Bottom