Vikings Trade: Money Talks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vikings Trade: Money Talks

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've been snooping around NFL message boards, and the consensus is that it would be cheaper for a team to sign either the number 1 or number 2 pick overall that it would be to sign both the number 7 and number 18 picks.

First of all, is this true? And, if it is, knowing 1) that the Vikings owner is a cheapskate and 2) they need WR bad after trading Moss, doesn't it appear likely that they would trade with SF or us for the right to draft Edwards?

If SF ends up going with Smith, or even if they trade with TB, this proposal would be the best-case scenario.

LostInPatsLand said:
I've been snooping around NFL message boards, and the consensus is that it would be cheaper for a team to sign either the number 1 or number 2 pick overall that it would be to sign both the number 7 and number 18 picks.

First of all, is this true? And, if it is, knowing 1) that the Vikings owner is a cheapskate and 2) they need WR bad after trading Moss, doesn't it appear likely that they would trade with SF or us for the right to draft Edwards?

No I'm pretty sure it would be the other way around.

i see trading with minny as the best possible thing that could happen saturday! how does cadiallac and merriman sound, both of those players would be realistic at #7 and #18.

Let's hope it happens. Hell, let's hope that any trade happens. I agree that we have alot of holes to fill and need to get younger. Especially on defense. The offense is young, but by the time they are ready to make a push, the defense will be revamped and many of our star players could be gone. The more I think about it, I believe we retool this year and next before making a serious push.

dolfan005 said:
i see trading with minny as the best possible thing that could happen saturday! how does cadiallac and merriman sound, both of those players would be realistic at #7 and #18.

I was thinking along those lines!

We get a sound football player in Cadillac--someone who has run the ball well in the SEC week after week. This gives us the opportunity to pick Merriman, who is somewhat of a long-term project, but can immediately add to the versatility of our defense--something which is en vogue in today's NFL.

dolfan005 said:

Actually Merriman is a lock to go to Dallas at 11...parcells loves this kid and will not pass on him there

I'd love to get Caddy and Thomas Davis

merriman is projected to go top-15. i don't think he'll last past detroit, dallas, houston, and the chiefs.

bakedmatt said:
merriman is projected to go top-15. i don't think he'll last past detroit, dallas, houston, and the chiefs.
You never know who'll slide on D-Day. Merriman is likely to because he's more potential than production. Plus I heard he might be sliding a bit from the ESPN show on Monday.

LostInPatsLand said:
I was thinking along those lines!

We get a sound football player in Cadillac--someone who has run the ball well in the SEC week after week. This gives us the opportunity to pick Merriman, who is somewhat of a long-term project, but can immediately add to the versatility of our defense--something which is en vogue in today's NFL.

If a trade was made I would rather have Khalif Barnes than Merriman.

LT - supposed to be very good solid player.

LostInPatsLand said:
You never know who'll slide on D-Day. Merriman is likely to because he's more potential than production. Plus I heard he might be sliding a bit from the ESPN show on Monday.
Merriman is plenty of production. 2004: 85 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 2 PBU, 10 QB pressures, 3 FF, 1 FR.
2003: 55 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 2 FR, 3 PBU and 13 QB hurries.

Merriman will be the first front 7 defender drafted, in my opinion.

I expect teams to turn Merriman into a RE. I expect numerous 4-5 position trade ups and trade downs around the 8-16 range. Merriman IMO will go around 8-10.

Buddwalk said:
Actually Merriman is a lock to go to Dallas at 11...parcells loves this kid and will not pass on him there

I'd love to get Caddy and Thomas Davis
Parcells also like Demarcus Ware a lot as well and since merriman is likely top 10....its gonna be ware at 11 imo.

Back
Top Bottom