Vontae and S.Smith, which AFC East WR's should they cover? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vontae and S.Smith, which AFC East WR's should they cover?

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
After i saw the Jets signed Burress, i was thinking, which one of our talented young corners will be covering him?

I would guess S.Smith because he matches up best with Burress' height, but i think Vontae might be able to get a little more physical and can jump better with Burress on those "up for grabs" throws, but Vontae probably matches up better with Holmes speed.

That also got me thinking around the rest of the AFC East, who would you guys want on each teams top 2 receivers?

Bills: Stevie Johnson, Lee Evans? (there both fast but all i remember is the first game vs. the Bills, Vontae was barely shown on the TV and didnt hear his name called at all, he basically shut S.Johnson down i dont think he had a catch)

Patriots: Chad Ochocinco, Deion Branch/Wes Welker ?(depending if the coaching staff wants one of the better corners to take on Welker)

Jets: Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress? (explained up top)

Smith doesnt match up with either one of those very well IMO. Id say put Allen on Holmes and Vontae on Burress and Smith in the slot like last year. I know Smith isnt that great in the slot, but I think he would be even worse covering Burress and moreso Holmes. Vontae does well against the big receivers.

i really think s smith is a perfect matchup for burress.

Bills:
Evans - S. Smith
S. Johnson - Vontae

Jets:
Holmes - Vontae
Burress - S. Smith - I dont see Plax having the speed to burn Smith and I think Smith's size/length help here.
(Alternate Saftey help)

Pats:
Ochocinco - S. Smith with Saftey help
Welker - Will Allen with Saftey/LB help
Branch - Vontae (1 on 1)*

*One thing to remember is that a lot of times Nolan would put Vontae on the opposing teams #2 WR (1 on 1) and just let him do his thing and would then double cover their #1 with S. Smith and a Saftey. It worked fairly well and I expect more of that again.

Also depending on his health obviously...Will Allen is a PERFECT slot DB. The slot requires as much IQ as it does ability. If he is healthy, he will do VERY well in the slot.

I don't think Nolan runs our defense like that. Vontae will match up with whomever is put on his side of the field and Sean will match up with whomever is put on his side. I don't think we go man to man on the corners.

Honestly I think Vontae would work on either Holmes or Burress. I think Vontae will be able to get physical with Burress which could get him out of his game. Smith best matchup though is Burress..

I don't think Nolan runs our defense like that. Vontae will match up with whomever is put on his side of the field and Sean will match up with whomever is put on his side. I don't think we go man to man on the corners.

Yea, just more of a personal opinion type question on each corners talent and how they match up agaisnt our divisions WR's

Back
Top Bottom