Vroooooooom.... speed improvements! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vroooooooom.... speed improvements!

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
As promised, we have been working on making the site more reliable and quicker. Well, we made another advancement! :cooldude:

After some research, I decided to install the FREE Turck MMCache. Basically, this program caches frequently accessed pages on the SERVER.

This is one quote about the product:
Turck MMCache is a free open source PHP accelerator, optimizer, encoder and dynamic content cache for PHP. It increases performance of PHP scripts by caching them in compiled state, so that the overhead of compiling is almost completely eliminated. Also it uses some optimizations to speed up execution of PHP scripts. Turck MMCache typically reduces server load and increases the speed of your PHP code by 1-10 times.
For the tech savvy... here is a link where it shows the benchmark:
http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/#bench

I'll continue to look for ways to improve performance... but please let me know if you notice a speed increase...

Vroooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Sincerely,
AJ

Yet another improvement, I installed mod_gzip which basically compresses files on the fly. So, get this straight here...

First, the server "compresses" the file and makes it load faster. Then, on demand, the server compresses it once again for faster access for the user. :rocker:

It is blazing fast now....very nice work my man, very nice!

Figured I'd let you guys in on the reason for the frequent downtime/sluggishness that seems to strike on a daily basis.

Turns out, our host (and the first link on the chain from them) has been the target of some major DDoS attacks. Someone who owned a server was attacking from within. And now that he and his server have been removed, he and his buddies are waging all out war. And our host says the scale is unprecidented in their history.

Anyway, I just wanted to reiterate that 95% of the time, the problems aren't related to the server. The server is robust and fast. And as this thread states, we've got things running pretty darn fast. And sooner or later, these attacks will end.

Back
Top Bottom