Waddle vs Smith | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle vs Smith

We were discussing Smith's size. In reality, his size isn't a concern. He will add a good 10-15 over his playing career. He hasn't been the first receiver to lack build, and won't be the last one. Not picking him because of his size is almost like overlooking all the other great things he does better than some of the prospects named alongside him during this draft.
Yes, we were, and I don't see the relavence of Holt's numbers.

You refuse to admit that guys of that size/build typically do not turn out to be great.

The ones that do are few, and far between, and were generally also in very specific situations.

Holt and Harrison were both great players. They are also the exception, not the rule.

Using them as examples is, therefore, a bad comparison, IMO.

Let's put it another way.

Would you prefer Tory Holt, or Julio Jones.

Marvin Harrison, or Megatron?

I get that you want the Dolphins to have a dynamic, take over a game type reciever. So do I, but let's not grasp at straws with the #3 pick.

You refuse to admit that guys of that size/build typically do not turn out to be great.

The ones that do are few, and far between, and were generally also in very specific situations.

Holt and Harrison were both great players. They are also the exception, not the rule.

I get that you want the Dolphins to have a dynamic, take over a game type reciever. So do I, but let's not grasp at straws with the #3 pick.

For the most part they don't. But Smith is a different breed. If Smith were to be 10 lbs more none of us would be talking about his size. What I would Prefer? Megatron all day long. Perhaps one of the most gifted receivers of all time.

If the draft came today I would prefer waddle over smith. I expressed that many times in the forum already. I acknowledge Smith's play making ability, but I prefer more versatility. I love Waddle's acceleration after the catch, and his speed. In terms of quickness he can match the fastest defenders speed, but he can make those sharp turns in traffic. A great target down the middle of the field. He can be physical, and overall would be a better fit in our team.

I think there is no way in hell we draft at 3 , we trade back and get some assets. If it is at 8 we take Pitts, with our TEs a coaches nightmare, Waddle at 18, Tooney with Houstons pick in the 2nd With the capital acquired by trading back from the third pick if Slattery,or Parsons, or BPA for our team falls we would be able to trade back into the 1st rd,plus keep all of next yrs draft

Waddle seems like Henry Riggs part two and that's not good enough. Chase or Smith.

Very true, but not all players are the same level of bust potential. Jordan Love came out last year and he had a huge bust potential, and thus far appears to be a bust. Justin Herbert had great bust potential too, but less bust potential than Love, and Herbert was a huge success, so you're right, you cannot always know. But, Burrow and Tua were the guys with the lower bust potential, and also the lower ceilings. With Chase and Pitts, they have the higher floors (like Burrow and Tua) and ALSO an extremely high ceiling (like Smith and Waddle), but with far less bust potential.

If you remember decades ago when the top overall pick was a guy named Aundray Bruce .... well, he was an absolute bust, and everyone before he was chosen identified that he had huge bust potential. I just don't see why we would take a shot for a guy with such a higher bust potential but no better high end potential. That's why I'm in favor of Chase and Pitts. Just my opinion.
How could Jordan Love possibly be a bust at this point? He isn’t going to replace Rodgers until AR is retired or elsewhere.

It's not accurate to say "size" b/c it's really just weight. Smith is taller than Chase and Waddle. And with his disproportionately long arms, his catch radius is like that of a 6'6" WR. That is not small. He's just light.

I mostly agree... but everyone, in every sport, is bigger/faster/stronger... Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison were not the exception for their time period - they were adequate size 15 years ago.

Nowadays though, they would be considered smaller frame and to your point, would definitively be an exception.

Just wanted to nitpick a little bit - because going to your comparison, I take Holt and Harrison over Jones and Megatron ALL FREAKING DAY. Way more success and way better career arcs and it is not comparable. But neither would be as successful (maybe) in today's NFL.

I mostly agree... but everyone, in every sport, is bigger/faster/stronger... Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison were not the exception for their time period - they were adequate size 15 years ago.

Nowadays though, they would be considered smaller frame and to your point, would definitively be an exception.

Just wanted to nitpick a little bit - because going to your comparison, I take Holt and Harrison over Jones and Megatron ALL FREAKING DAY. Way more success and way better career arcs and it is not comparable. But neither would be as successful (maybe) in today's NFL.
I believe they would be even more successful now. The game has more passing and allows less contact with the WRs. Size matters less than ability to separate.

Does anyone know how Waddle is progressing after his injury? I think that factors in.

I would be happy with either, but I was so impressed with Smith after Waddle went down.

With all the attention on him, Smith flat out dominated against SEC corners.

Other than size, which I think is being overplayed, Smith has everything you are looking for....separation, 50/50 win, speed, hands, route running and production.

It's not accurate to say "size" b/c it's really just weight. Smith is taller than Chase and Waddle. And with his disproportionately long arms, his catch radius is like that of a 6'6" WR. That is not small. He's just light.
It's also not accurate to say he has the catch radius of a 6'6" guy.

Think about what you are saying.

Do his knuckles drag the ground? Can he get his hand as high as a 6"6" whem jumping?

Ludicrous........

They weren't my comparisons. I was just responding to another poster. You are right about Holt. He was 200 lbs, not small at all.

Statistically, Jones doesn't compare to any of the others, but he also isn't playing on a team that is the offensive juggernauts that were the greatest show on turf, or the PM era Colts.

CJ was more dominant than any of them, despite the cluster**** of a team for which he played.

Take Penei and avoid the potential bust.

Take your shots on receiver in the 2nd or 3rd rd unless Waddle is somehow there, maybe even Bateman at 18.

All this analysis without a combine screams overdrafting.

Give Tua decent protection and I don't care who he's throwing to. That's why we drafted him, for his accuracy. Who has the best hands might be a better discussion.

Juju would be a nice dependable security blanket in free agency.

I think there is no way in hell we draft at 3 , we trade back and get some assets. If it is at 8 we take Pitts, with our TEs a coaches nightmare, Waddle at 18, Tooney with Houstons pick in the 2nd With the capital acquired by trading back from the third pick if Slattery,or Parsons, or BPA for our team falls we would be able to trade back into the 1st rd,plus keep all of next yrs draft
Gotta find a willign partner that'll give ya fair value. It's certainly possible that doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom