Wallace Stat Breakdown | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wallace Stat Breakdown

NyPhan23

Starter
Reaction score
Hey guys, a lot of you have been rather harsh on Mike Wallace and his performance with Tannehill this year. Rightfully so... those aren't the type of numbers we like to see from the highest paid member of the club. But, as we all know, things did seem to start to click at the end of the season between the 2, albeit not so much on the long balls still, unfortunately. So, I just quickly wanted to do a breakdown to see the actual differences in the early season production, vs how he fared in the latter. Thought I'd share in case anyone else was interested.

First 10 Games AVG/Games:
Receptions: 4.4
Yards: 53.4
Avg/Rec: 11.8
TDs/Game: .1 (1 every 10 games)

Last 6 Games:
Receptions: 4.83 (+.43)
Yards: 66 (+12.6)
Avg/Rec: 13.1 (+1.3)
TDs/Game: .67 (2 every 3 games)

These last 6 games translate into a 78 Reception, 1056 yard, 11TD performance if he were to maintain them throughout an entire season that is. Which is a lot nicer than the numbers he did actually put up, even if they still aren't the greatest. Here's to hoping for more improvement, and that him and Tannehill can pick up where they left off this year and work on that long ball.

I'm not worried about him. Improved oline should help RT, but he really does need to practice that deep ball every day this offseason. Then hopefully we see the RT/Wallace connection we were hoping for.
Another thing to mention about Wallace is how his presence alone on the field helps everybody else out too.

they'll get more productive together in time...those numbers break down kind of show that in just year one

Unfortunately the increase in his number of yards per target -- among the most important stats for a receiver -- during those final six games (from 6.28 to 6.95) moved him from the 5th to only the 15th percentile in the league in that regard.

He was still functioning at a level well below his salary cap hit in my opinion, and well below what he'd achieved previously in his career, when the quarterback with whom he was playing at the time was throwing a significantly higher percentage of catchable balls downfield.

Wallace is a downfield receiver first and foremost. If you're not going to hit him reliably downfield, and not going to get his number of yards per target up around that for someone like DeSean Jackson, for example (11.2 yards per target in 2013), you're wasting a good bit of money in my opinion.

Wallace's stats have been dropping off the last few seasons. He needs to take some responsibility by expanding his skill set.

I'm not worried about Wallace, I'm more worried about Tannehill. Wallace can't throw it to himself!!! He does his job to get open deep and it's on Tanny to throw a catchable ball. Wallace probably wasn't that far off from his 15-20 TD proclamation if those badly over/under throws were thrown better. A better oline and Tannehill being more comfortable should help this year so don't worry about Wallace's production.

Wallace's stats have been dropping off the last few seasons. He needs to take some responsibility by expanding his skill set.
Precisely as a function of the percentage of catchable balls he's been thrown downfield.

if you dont trust the protection you are not gonna run as many routes down the field...so seeing wallace ypa or ypc drop off would not surprise me at all this year...hell we could barely protect off pa on first and 10's let alone passing downs and distances

we took what was given to us a lot cause the ball must comes out fast this year at least...in the past i would see wallace even against off coverage with the steelers instead of running a little stop route or quick hitter continue down the field and invade the dbs cushion and the steelers allow the routes to develop more...a function of two things the belief that berger could keep the play alive in the pocket and the trust that the protection would allow berger to find space to operate or step up in...

the former we need the qb to develop his game with the latter we need to upgrade the personnel with...

I would expect a big year from him next year. Improve the OL and if Ryan improves which he should this pass O should be in the upper half of the league and maybe in the top 10.

if you dont trust the protection you are not gonna run as many routes down the field...so seeing wallace ypa or ypc drop off would not surprise me at all this year...hell we could barely protect off pa on first and 10's let alone passing downs and distances

we took what was given to us a lot cause the ball must comes out fast this year at least...in the past i would see wallace even against off coverage with the steelers instead of running a little stop route or quick hitter continue down the field and invade the dbs cushion and the steelers allow the routes to develop more...a function of two things the belief that berger could keep the play alive in the pocket and the trust that the protection would allow berger to find space to operate or step up in...

the former we need the qb to develop his game with the latter we need to upgrade the personnel with...
Wallace's number of downfield targets (36) in 2013 put him in the 90th percentile in the league.

Back
Top Bottom