Wanne's supposed lack of balls... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanne's supposed lack of balls...

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Everyone seems to think he is the most gutless, cowardly, conservative head coach to ever exist.. Yet I have seen on several occasions wanne rolling the dice.. and the majority of the time it didnt work out..

The most recent was MNF against the Eagles when he went for it on 4th and 7 when they were only down by a score or so.. Rather than taking the "conservative" route, he went for it and failed.. Fiedler threw an incompletion or something.. Wanne haters around me at the Pro yelled "DUMBASS!!".. but isnt that what they wanted? Aggressiveness?

Even earlier this year against the Giant or Bills (Forgive my memory loss).. He pounded Ricky into the endzone unsuccessfully on 3 occasions and went for it on 4th and goal.. Ricky leapt over the linemen and scored.. Going for it on 4th and goal wasnt essential since I believe they were either tied or winning by a 2 points.. but he went for the score to put it away..

The one call that sticks out the most was the call to go for a 4th and 2 in Buffalo in the waning moments of the 1st half at the Buffalo game in Buffalo last year... The Dolphins were leading at the moment and couldve stayed conservative and punted.. Instead, Wanne attempted to keep the drive alive.. Ray Lucas fumbled, the Bills recovered and went on to score.. That changed the entire game and the Dolphins lost..

So.. This assessment that Wanne is gutless is quite baseless IMO.. He was labelled that after a few conservative calls and it stuck.. The guy just couldnt win with the fans and that is why he is getting kicked out of town.. Everything he did was viewed negatively..

For whatever reason he just isnt getting it done here.. Maybe the players dont believe.. Maybe the plays believed to much in what the fans/media is saying.. Maybe Wanne is just not enough of a motivator.. Yet, I still think he got a bum rap down here..

But I do agree.. it is probably best for all involved to move on..

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole going for it on fourth down thing depends on what the situation is. Sometimes it is a smart thing to try, sometimes it isn't.

Against the Eagles, I was screaming at the TV when we went for it on 4th and 7. We weren't doing well in the passing game, and I thought it was a bad idea. We went for it and it was incomplete.

Wanny isn't "gutless" but he is a poor decision maker. In the last two games, he has thrown the red flag on 2 plays we knew wouldn't get overturned, and both plays weren't overturned. If I recall correctly, both plays were opposing teams' receptions.

I am not saying Wannstedt is "gutless" but I do think he uses poor judgement. He has thrown the challenge flag on plays that were not going to get overturned and he sometimes doesn't know when to go for it on 4th down.

I can understand poor decision maker.. but I see a heck of a lot of people around here saying he doesnt have balls.. which is untrue..

And as for the challenge flag.. I thought the call came from an assistant upstairs who advises the coach whether they should challenge or not..

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
The whole going for it on fourth down thing depends on what the situation is. Sometimes it is a smart thing to try, sometimes it isn't.

Against the Eagles, I was screaming at the TV when we went for it on 4th and 7. We weren't doing well in the passing game, and I thought it was a bad idea. We went for it and it was incomplete.

Wanny isn't "gutless" but he is a poor decision maker. In the last two games, he has thrown the red flag on 2 plays we knew wouldn't get overturned, and both plays weren't overturned. If I recall correctly, both plays were opposing teams' receptions.

I am not saying Wannstedt is "gutless" but I do think he uses poor judgement. He has thrown the challenge flag on plays that were not going to get overturned and he sometimes doesn't know when to go for it on 4th down.

i was pissed that he went way downfield intead of a more high percentage shot.

And to answere to the "no balls" thing. first off, let me say that i dont use bad language to describe wanny having no balls. i think he is a good coach but has no fire and is too conservative or teh new one for me is that they dont use the TE's for high percentage stuff. just get first downs and everything else would follow according to what we like to do. I dont care if it looks ugly, i just want a first down. but we arent going to get a first down with JF throwing to Gadsden down the sideline for 40 yards. no way no how. who the hell drew up that play? doesnt anyone know that OG is slow as molasses? when chambers started getting plays over the middle against dallas, i thought that norv was starting to get his act together, but no, he went right back to stupidity. nothing new, nothing that confuses a defense or our defense confusing their offense.

Wannstedt doesnt challenge anyone on Miami that has a Pro Bowl under their belt.. He always wants to be the "good cop" and obviously the players do not respond to it.. Missing the playoffs for 2 years in a row..

Miami losing to the Texans in the opener was good enough for me to yell for Wannstedts head..

Goodbye Wannstedt..

Nice guy..

Poor coach

we should have got the tuna when we had a chance, wanny is an avg coach, he's not bad but not great, we need a better coach, his decision was to keep playing with the o-line we had, someone else would have fired tony wise, and made moves, those moves cost us the indy game and possibly 1 or 2 others

Back
Top Bottom