Wanny And Jay....are They Literally A ''package Deal"?. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny And Jay....are They Literally A ''package Deal"?.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This has to go down as one of the quickest deals in Dolphin History..and quite frankly...I think this has cought many Dolphin fans off-guard. The FA period hasn't even officially begun...yet the Dolphins wanted Fiedler signed, sealed, and delievered...this without even seeing what Fiedler would have gotten on the open market. This to me..looks like a clear stamping by one..DAVE WANNSTEDT. This was his guy...it has been since the day JAY arrived in Miami. I am really surprised with the recent hiring of NORV TURNER...that WANNY would not have at least given NORV the time to look at all the game films he needed to see..just so he can give his opinion on Jay..and what he sees in him..as far as his style of offense is concerned. I just feel that WANNY just wanted to shut down all the rumors about AIKMAN...and I don't think he wanted to deal with any drawn out negotiation scenario either. He just wanted to announce to the football world and Dolphin fans in particular....Hey..this is my Qb...its JAY FIEDLER. Period. End of Rumors. End of Story. Lets move on. You see that show that JIM RHOME has on cable? Its the same one that WANNY has...but it has no forum...no guests...no input from assistants either. It also is called....THE LAST WORD. To all the fans...who wanted JAY to move on...in hoped that he would get the big 5 million dollar, 5 year contract somewhere else....you know..the one that the Dolphins would never match? Forget about it. The JAY FIEDLER era continues on. And as long as WANNY is here....you better get used to it. I hate to say it...but it looks like WANNY and JAY are a package deal around here. DCH

This is a great deal for you guys. It's also a very brave deal for Fiedler to sign. Given the structure, the contract could be as short as two years and its value reduced to $6.525 million, and the 'Fins could terminate it after that with only minimal salary cap impact.

The $4 million signing bonus is peanuts for a starting QB coming off a reasonable year (OK I know about the INT's but he did throw 20 TD's - that's six more than Kordell and he went to the ProBowl).

Jake Plummer got a four-year $25 million contract extension that is nowhere near as cap friendly as this one. That had a $15M :eek: signing bonus! Fiedlers salary in three years time will be less than at least half of the league's QB's today!

Financially this is a great deal whether you love or hate Fiedler.

"Wanny And Jay....are They Literally A ''package Deal"?. "

It seems that way. But if you look at the figures, Jay get's to claim a $5M a year deal, Dolphins get to pay the guy veteran minimum wage plus incentives and keep it cap friendly.

Way to go Spielman and Wanny. Wanny's no "west coast offence" kind of coach and as such doesn't need a pure pocket passer. He needs a guy who's mobile, can run, and can occasionally hit the long pass groove. It's never going to be pretty. It might be effective.

I believe Norv Turner's arrival strengthens this direction of Wanny's :band:

But in the announcement, they also recognised the need to strengthen the line and look at the running back situation. If all that comes together, it might just work.

Trouble is, if everyone knows that's how you want to play, they might just stop you. Exceptional players are required to make it work in those circumstances.:rolleyes:

DCH...

First off, Turner has been with Miami long enough to have watched every game tape Fiedler ever played on. Second, Norv and Dave are the best of friends, if you want to think that they didn't THOROUGHLY discuss their options at QB before signing Jay up, well then that's your perogative.

Fact is, this deal is about as good as it can possibly get for Miami, and if Jay doesn't perform, he can be cut with a minimal cap hit. Even if Jay had tested the free agent market, and found no takers, this STILL would have been an outstanding deal for Miami.

with the salary cap situation............

such as it is, i don't see how it could get much better!
Fact is, this deal is about as good as it can possibly get for Miami, and if Jay doesn't perform, he can be cut with a minimal cap hit. Even if Jay had tested the free agent market, and found no takers, this STILL would have been an outstanding deal for Miami.
it works out to where he'll only get 3 mil a year, but if he does well, i think everybody would give the guy 5 mil!

:D :D

Fiedler and Wanny

Fiedler is the man! Wanny made the right move. If we get a descent running game and some tough, huge, fat, strong, and ferocious Offensive linemen then he will make the Pro Bowl. I am certain that he will have a ring one day. His talent is far beyond Dilfer and Brady who both have rings. He is no Dan Marino, but all of us Fin Fans must realize that those offensive scheme days of gunning it down the field are over. We must have a good running game. Our division (Jets, Bill, Pats) demands a running attack. Not only will the running game free up all the pressure on Jay, but it will also minimize the need for all of the 4th quarter comebacks.

Lets face it the way to win in the NFL is run the ball, play hard defense, solid special teams, and take your chances when they are presented.

Jay and Wanny are exactly what our favorite franchise needs.

Lets support them and get behind them. We must if we want to see the Fins in a Super Bowl.

Congrats Jay and Wanny. You are the QB and Coach of my team and I will be supporting you all the way.

guess Skolnick agrees - Reins officially passed to Fiedler

Dave Wannstedt spoke first, then ceded the podium to Jay Fiedler. Perhaps they should have spoken as one. Wannstedt and Fiedler now are inextricably joined, and they will hold the pen together as the next few pages in Dolphins history are written.

Back
Top Bottom