Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting comment by Dave:

"We're always looking to improve our team, but it's got to be the right guy at any position," said Wannstedt, who is optimistic about Dixon's playing against the Texans. "I don't fall for that trap of `The guy is an NFL veteran. Because he did something five years ago, he can come in and be a better player than a young kid.'

"I want to see it on film. In most cases when you're very honest with yourself, eliminate reputation and just watch the film and evaluate a guy, it's amazing how there's really not much difference."

Regardless of the criticisms levied about his lack of leadership, personality, etc. I really believe Wannstedt is doing his best to win a Championship and that he and Spielman are driven by that. I, for one, appreciate his efforts and his integrity in giving honest evaluations about the team. The thing I like about this comment is that he is entirely open to either side, but is not going to just "do something" for the sake of doing something! He's going to give a situation an honest and forthright evaluation.

Others express a great deal of hatred for the man. But, while I am not opposed to replacing him if he does not bring increased success to the franchise compared to the past few years, I do respect him and appreciate his efforts.

Re: Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
I really believe Wannstedt is doing his best to win a Championship

Well, I don't think that he's trying to lose either. My only question is his ability to step back and look at himself. His ability real time to ask himself if he's made the right decision. Last year, all I heard was "we watched the film and ....." I'm not sure that he can stop himself from some thing. But on the other hand, I'm sure most if not all coaches do the same.

I'm not either a big fan or detractor of the Coaches. I just want to see my Miami Dolphins win and win and win. Whoever is holding the reins is irrelivent.

Very well said. He is a very good coach. No other coaches have ever tried to bring that much talent to one city. Just Ricky alone is enough to keep him around for a couple of years. Who would have ever thought when he came out of college he would end up playing for the Miami Dolphins I know I didnt. I would have gave anything to get a runningback of his caliber and all Dave gave was a couple of draft picks now thats good coaching

Re: Re: Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect

Originally posted by IceStorm

Well, I don't think that he's trying to lose either. My only question is his ability to step back and look at himself. His ability real time to ask himself if he's made the right decision. Last year, all I heard was "we watched the film and ....." I'm not sure that he can stop himself from some thing. But on the other hand, I'm sure most if not all coaches do the same.

I'm not either a big fan or detractor of the Coaches. I just want to see my Miami Dolphins win and win and win. Whoever is holding the reins is irrelivent.

Ice, that is exactly what he did this offseason, he went to legend coaches, to friends and consultant..got a read on himself and his coaches..I wrote about this in a earlier post, it was the corner stone of why I respect the Man, usually a coach with a big ego, would not have done the things this man does to get better, he wasn't only talking about the team, but himself as well.

Re: Re: Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect

Originally posted by IceStorm

You raise a legitimate question. But, as MD noted, he did seem to look at himself this off season and was willing to reach out to other coaches for their input. That shows a man without a lot of ego, as MD noted so well.

I think all coaches end up suffering from this at some point - especially if they gain some success. Perhaps its the nature of the job. I think that one of the worst at self-evaluation was Don Shula. I'm not trashing him. I think he is one of the 3-4 greatest coaches of all time. But, the last 8 to 10 years of his coaching, I thought he failed to examine his weaknesses (mainly player personnel decisions & the draft). He always remained one of the greatest "game preparation" coaches in the league (although Walsh out prepared him in the 85 SB). Nevertheless, I think there were some weaknesses that he needed to overcome - Had he brought in a Speilman or JJ calibre talent evaluator - Like when he had Beathard in the early 70's, I think he would have done much better in the 90's. Just my opinion. Sorry to draw off the topic.

Well, if you like Dave or you not, he is here for the season! I hope for the Dolfans sake he has really learned something from his peers and mentors. I like the moves the team has made over the lats few years
thanks to Dave and the FO lets just keep our fingers crossed.

Re: Wanny's Comments on OT & A Personal Respect

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Here's an interesting comment by Dave:

"We're always looking to improve our team, but it's got to be the right guy at any position," said Wannstedt, who is optimistic about Dixon's playing against the Texans. "I don't fall for that trap of `The guy is an NFL veteran. Because he did something five years ago, he can come in and be a better player than a young kid.'

"I want to see it on film. In most cases when you're very honest with yourself, eliminate reputation and just watch the film and evaluate a guy, it's amazing how there's really not much difference."

Regardless of the criticisms levied about his lack of leadership, personality, etc. I really believe Wannstedt is doing his best to win a Championship and that he and Spielman are driven by that. I, for one, appreciate his efforts and his integrity in giving honest evaluations about the team. The thing I like about this comment is that he is entirely open to either side, but is not going to just "do something" for the sake of doing something! He's going to give a situation an honest and forthright evaluation.

Others express a great deal of hatred for the man. But, while I am not opposed to replacing him if he does not bring increased success to the franchise compared to the past few years, I do respect him and appreciate his efforts.

Good post and I agree with you. He is a good man and is doing everything that he can to make the team as good as they can be.

Ozzy rules!!

On a personal level, I love Wanny. He brought back a level of intergrity that was missing during the JJ years. He is a great guy and is a hard person to dislike because he seems like a truly honest and good person.

HOWEVER, from a professional standpoint, Wanny must step it up this year. He lost control of the team towards the end of last year and must maintain focus when the team is struggling. He looked like a deer caught in headlights the last two weeks of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he keeps that same I dont fall for that trap "the guy is an NFL veteran" with OG.

Back
Top Bottom