Warming up to Waddle | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Warming up to Waddle

Yeah I agree there's always a risk with any trade down, but realistically the odds are one of those guys is still there at 8.

But I agree, you have to consider the risk before making a trade like that.

I also remember last year all these mocks had receivers going very early and I don't think I saw a single mock where Cedee Lamb went that late.
I think skilled positions always generate more hype for these types of things but in reality a lot more teams end up going with players that fill a bigger need/demand like o-line and pass rusher
True, but this year you can pretty much take top pass rushers out of the equation. Not sure where that leaves us.

I really doubt 3 wideouts are taken top 10 though.

I think many Miami fans are overrating them, either because of percieved dire need, or they simply have a "favorite" college player.

That's not to say we don't have a big need at the offensive skill positions. Obviously we do. I dont think we are going there with all of our rd1 and rd2 picks, as many want to do.

Last edited:
In the 4 games they played together Waddle and Smith both had 4 TD's. But Waddle was averaging 139 ypg, while Smith was at 121. Waddle's lowest output was 120 yards in that span. (Not a good sample size, I know)

Then after Waddle's injury, Smith was left as the undisputed alpha and averaged 153 ypg over the rest of the season.

I don't mean this as a knock on Smith, and we should be looking past raw stats in evaluating players. But let's be real that it was Smith's incredible statistical output that catapulted his stock.

At the time of Waddle's injury basically every WR ranking I saw went Chase, Waddle, Smith. With Smith going in the teens in mocks.

I've always been left wondering if had that injury never happened, if Smith would have won the Heisman and be getting talked about as the potential #3. Would Waddle currently be ranked higher in this alternate universe? I don’t know.

Last edited:
The way I see it, every single player is one play away from getting hurt so no, I'm not going to worry about it. Btw, I'd take Smith with our top pick and if we want an OT then I'd look at Teven Jenkins in the 2nd round. The ideal would be to trade down to 6 with Philly and take Smith there but again, trading down is not as easy as some people might think so we'll see what happens.
Philly is likely to go receiver so there would be no need for them to trade up as they can likely get whichever WR we don't pick between Smith and Chase.

True, but this year you can pretty much take top pass rushers out of the equation. Not sure where that leaves us.

I really doubt 3 wideouts are taken top 10 though.

I think many Miami fans are overrating them, either because of percieved dire need, or they simply habe a "favorite" college player.

That's not to say we don't have a big need at the offensive skill positions. Obviously we do. I dont think we are going there with all of our rd1 and rd2 picks, as many want to do.
Maybe not 3, but I think this is a year you see 2 WRs go in the top 6. Not traditional, but because those two particular guys are very, very good.

In the 4 games they played together Waddle and Smith both had 4 TD's. But Waddle was averaging 139 ypg, while Smith was at 121. Waddle's lowest output was 120 yards in that span. (Not a good sample size, I know)

Then after Waddle's injury, Smith was left as the undisputed alpha and averaged 153 ypg over the rest of the season.

I don't mean this as a knock on Smith, and we should be looking past raw stats in evaluating players. But let's be real that it was Smith's incredible statistical output that catapulted his stock.

At the time of Waddle's injury basically every WR ranking I saw went Chase, Waddle, Smith. With Smith going in the teens in mocks.

I've always been left wondering if had that injury never happened, if Smith would have won the Heisman and be getting talked about as the potential #3. Would Waddle currently be ranked higher in this alternate universe? I don’t know.

key take away here is that chase was leading the entire thing the entire way

At least from where I’m coming from

key take away here is that chase was leading the entire thing the entire way

At least from where I’m coming from

Yeah it all depends how the Dolphons have them on their board.
If they have Smith and Chase about the same and ahead of Waddle, they probably take Smith because of his familiarity with Tua.

But they might have Chase ahead of the other two because of his size and possibility of his game transitioning better

If they have Smith and Chase about the same and ahead of Waddle, they probably take Smith because of his familiarity with Tua.

But they might have Chase ahead of the other two because of his size and possibility of his game transitioning better

his frame being more his strength would be my guess. Dudes fall off his shoulders so that tells ya he’s put together well. I see a lot of anquan boldin tbere with more top speed and ability to stack vertical. Plus ability to get in a dbs blind spot as someone else said

maybe not as much pure run tbru contact as boldin. That dude was a bull. But in space hard to tackle

I don't think familiarity is a factor whatsoever in an evaluator's or coache's mind, particularly when the two are not a similar type of player.

I mean surely Flo/Grier must have a preference, as far as physical traits.

As an added bonus, with similar players, I could see it. Not really in this case.

Last edited:

There isn't a line of thinking that could upset me more for us choosing Smith. Better fit in terms of style. Fine. But familiarity? Not a fan of hearing that word here.

This is the #3 pick. Long term, extremely high capital investment.

Let Tua play w the best reciever (whoever that is). They'll become plenty familiar w each other. We are talking about 2 players so young they'll have 3 years on their rookie contracts together.

Tua was extremely familiar w Ruggs. Anyone want to trade #18 for him? Why didn't we want to keep Gailey as OC? Tua was familiar w him. Just absurd reasoning IMO.

Last edited:
There isn't a line of thinking that could upset me more for us choosing Smith. Better fit in terms of style. Fine. But familiarity? Not a fan of hearing that word here.

Let Tua play w the best reciever (whoever that is). They'll become plenty familiar w each other. We are talking about 2 players so young they'll have 3 years on their rookie contracts together.

Tua was extremely familiar w Ruggs. Anyone want to trade #18 for him? Why didn't we keep Gailey as OC? Tua was familiar w him. Just absurd reasoning IMO.
I think it's more rationalization to support their particular choice, than logical reasoning.

No big deal on a fan forum. We all do it to some degree.

Tua was extremely familiar w Ruggs. Anyone want to trade #18 for him? Why didn't we want to keep Gailey as OC? Tua was familiar w him. Just absurd reasoning IMO.

I definitely agree, I think the pick should be whoever the team believes has a better chance to succeed in NFL.

That's the same reason I wouldn't draft Harris simply because he's best friends with Tua. Draft him because he's your best rated running back on your board and I'm good with it

I have Smith just ahead of Chase, but I see both as very good WR1 type guys.

Philly is likely to go receiver so there would be no need for them to trade up as they can likely get whichever WR we don't pick between Smith and Chase.
Well, if Philly was to trade up with us it'd be for a QB. If all they want is a WR then of course they can just stay there at 6 and draft one but if Wentz is moved then they might want to go QB and know Atlanta could want a QB also plus is possible that a team like Carolina might want to come up to 3 for a QB then I can see Philly wanting to come up to 3. This is al based on them trading their QB before the draft tho.

Well, if Philly was to trade up with us it'd be for a QB. If all they want is a WR then of course they can just stay there at 6 and draft one but if Wentz is moved then they might want to go QB and know Atlanta could want a QB also plus is possible that a team like Carolina might want to come up to 3 for a QB then I can see Philly wanting to come up to 3. This is al based on them trading their QB before the draft tho.
I'm not so sure the Eagles don't give Jalen Hurts a long look this year. They didn't draft him just for kix (shameless music reference). They realized there would be development involved.

Matt Miller says in talking to nfl folks jamar chase is consensus wr #1 🤷🏻‍♂️

also says any parsons character stuff is overblown. Disciplined for hazing that’s about it

Back
Top Bottom