Was I hearing something on the NFL network that.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was I hearing something on the NFL network that....

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
in a couple years there won't be a salary cap? I think I heard Shefter commenting about it.

You heard correct. But i think that the NFL will try its best to keep having the SC, if not then you will see contracts being flat out crazy.

I been saying for a while, that there should be player, or position salary caps, but not team salary caps. That way a team could sign or keep all the players they needed and without having to pay one player 20 million dollars in one season

outlawd2u said:
I been saying for a while, that there should be player, or position salary caps, but not team salary caps. That way a team could sign or keep all the players they needed and without having to pay one player 20 million dollars in one season

That's a good idea, except for players egos getting in the way. No way people like TO and Moss would like getting the same cash as Chambers.

outlawd2u said:
That seems like a better idea then having team caps.

I dont think they should get rid of the cap, but maybe make it a little higher, its around 82 mil... right?

T tes said:
That seems like a better idea then having team caps.

There is plenty wrong with that idea. Nice in theory but think of this. The whole purpose of a Salary Cap is so teams have a legitimate chance every year to win. It also prevents small market teams from getting flushed out of the league. I am Canadian and I like NFL 10x as much as NHL. I grew up watching Hockey but it has turned into a poor league that isnt even in operation.

Even look at baseball, why is it that the yankees are perennial favorites and they tend to win the majority of the time. They have an unlimited budget. If you gave football teams the power of an unlimited budget I garuntee the league would suffer.

Caping a position salary is worse than capping a teams salary. All this does is allow a team to go out and get the best players available at that position provided they have the funds. You think it is hard for a team to keep its stars now. Just wait until every team that needs to fullfill a position (lets say QB) has the ability to do so because they can pay the max to that position. Then you run into the NFL dictating what position is the most important and so on. Is a kicker less important than a RB? Statistically a Kicker provides more offense than a running back. So who determines this. Essentially you could have team caps of 520 million. Do you think that WR believe they are not the most valuable commodity on the field.

Nice idea, but you need a hard cap. It is basically the only thing that works.

Also the league would be run by a select group of teams. Most likely the Redskins, Bears, Giants, Jets, and all other large market teams.

The cap was designed to keep the NFL competetive but it hasnt exactly worked out that way.It assumed that all GMs are equally proficient which is just not true.The Pats have learned to work around it.We hired Saban to copy,perhaps improve some of those techniques .I hope they dont change the rules of the game now.It would be like the MLB.

PhinsPhan said:
There is plenty wrong with that idea. Nice in theory but think of this. The whole purpose of a Salary Cap is so teams have a legitimate chance every year to win. It also prevents small market teams from getting flushed out of the league. I am Canadian and I like NFL 10x as much as NHL. I grew up watching Hockey but it has turned into a poor league that isnt even in operation.

Even look at baseball, why is it that the yankees are perennial favorites and they tend to win the majority of the time. They have an unlimited budget. If you gave football teams the power of an unlimited budget I garuntee the league would suffer.

Caping a position salary is worse than capping a teams salary. All this does is allow a team to go out and get the best players available at that position provided they have the funds. You think it is hard for a team to keep its stars now. Just wait until every team that needs to fullfill a position (lets say QB) has the ability to do so because they can pay the max to that position. Then you run into the NFL dictating what position is the most important and so on. Is a kicker less important than a RB? Statistically a Kicker provides more offense than a running back. So who determines this. Essentially you could have team caps of 520 million. Do you think that WR believe they are not the most valuable commodity on the field.

Nice idea, but you need a hard cap. It is basically the only thing that works.

Also the league would be run by a select group of teams. Most likely the Redskins, Bears, Giants, Jets, and all other large market teams.

I think you also have to consider another effect that "position" caps would have. Ultimately, positional caps may persuade amateur athletes to PREFER to play certain positions as they angle for the draft. Kids would learn where the "money" positions and eventually, everyone wants to be QB. You think sand lot football is bad with the "all time QB" now, just wait. But, in all seriousness, it would affect how amateurs play the game.

Not only that, what is to stop teams from deciding to SWITCH a player from one position to another simply to avoid paying him more. Or, what if a college QB is drafted AS a WR. Imagine the bargaining position the team would be in. Now imagine the player's. Draft position would no longer dictate pay rate. Draft position AND player position drafted would be.

The league would be stood on its head.

Baseball isn't so bad. The salary cap in the NFL has all but eliminated "cinderella" teams because there is too much parity. As a baseball fan, I get excited when the small market teams make a run in the playoffs or even win the World Series. To me, parity is not a great thing.

if this happens I predict that football, as we know the NFL today, will come apart. Parity will disapear, small markets will become un-competitive from poor talent and a burden to the system as a whole. There will be Hockey like labor problems, player strikes and the sytem will collapse.There will be attempts at new leagues and we the fans will recieve the raw end. I believe salary caps work and that it is right now starting to its proper job. We now have available in the free agency market a whole sh!tpot full of talent that is now to expensive to stay where they are at and there is virtually no place to go... to pricy. Given a little more time this will become commonplace and then the market will find it's own level. With no cap the players will price themselves right out of a job.

Between the illegal use of enhancement drugs by players and a systematic misuse of capital, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the public's interest in professional sports has maxed out.

We need to keep the salary cap. That, and effective upper level management has made the NFL what it is today. The cap needs to be a team cap and allow the team to disseminate the money as they see fit as opposed to positional caps. I think they priority on positional caps would change from team to team. Keep it the way it is and keep going strong.

You know, this wouldn't be terrible for the dolphins... not having a cap and all. People want to come here and play, and if there was no cap, our owner would dish out the cash like he did with Saban and the other coaches. He doesn't seem to mind spending a little extra to get what he wants:);) ...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom