Was in the UK - missed the Pats MNF game - question for you | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was in the UK - missed the Pats MNF game - question for you

HansGruber

Practice Squad
Reaction score
... what's all this my brother was telling me about Bates running a defense with no linemen for a few plays????

Now my brother doesn't know his football and he was probably drunk, but he insists Bates ran a defense on some 3rd & long plays where there were literally no bodies on the line of scrimmage.

I always miss something special when I go home for the holidays.

Fill me in here - was my brother high or did this happen???

The Patriots ran quite a few plays that way, but I don't remember us doing it.

This happened...but it was New England that set up a defense with no guys on the line of scrimmage. Feeley kept his cool though. basically he was looking at 7 or 8 guys lined up 2 to 5 yards off the ball and didn't know who was coming and who was staying home.

Ah - I knew my brother must have gotten something wrong.

So some of them did rush then? I thought he meant that not only was there no-one on the line of scrimmage, but they all stayed back.

And if you think about it that would work on a 3rd and 15 or so. The obvious answer would be to run, but the OL aren't that adept at blocking faster defensive players in open space. You'd get 10 of the 15 but you wouldn't get it all.

Must have been interesting to watch. Strange that the Pats would wait until a MNF game with the Fins to unveil that. I suspect Belichik was trying to plant little seeds in the minds of his playoff opponents.

Hey you could've still watched the game. MNF gets shown on Channel 5 (a public channel) over here.

Yeah it's on a bit late (finished about 5am), but it was well worth staying up for I can assure you. :)

HansGruber said:
... what's all this my brother was telling me about Bates running a defense with no linemen for a few plays????

Now my brother doesn't know his football and he was probably drunk, but he insists Bates ran a defense on some 3rd & long plays where there were literally no bodies on the line of scrimmage.

I always miss something special when I go home for the holidays.

Fill me in here - was my brother high or did this happen???
Not only did they not have any DL in some plays but they had offensive guys playing defense and defensive guys playing offense.Strange circumstances.

BTW if you want a copy of the game there is still an active torrent.

We didn't do it, we stick with 4-3. New England did it several times, too much really because we ended exploiting it after a little bit with some solid running plays.

Back
Top Bottom