Was Surtain the best corner in Dolphin history? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was Surtain the best corner in Dolphin history?

#84Fan4Life

Starter
Reaction score
I really didn't follow football hardcore until the past 5 or so years so I really have only seen Pat and Sam dominate for so many seasons. My question is Pat (or even Sam) the best corner in Fins history in your opinion? If not who would you say is?

#84Fan4Life said:
I really didn't follow football hardcore until the past 5 or so years so I really have only seen Pat and Sam dominate for so many seasons. My question is Pat (or even Sam) the best corner in Fins history in your opinion? If not who would you say is?

In the post Marino era, and there was almost no defense played by the Dolphins in the Marino era, Pat was the best corner we've had, IMO.

Happy Holidays everyone. Its here.

Four stand out -- Don McNeal, Troy Vincent, Madison and Surtain. It's rare I would leave out the glory era guys completely. Foley and Johnson are disqualified on basic athletic ability. They were super smart and aggressive and took advantage of the liberal contact rules of the era.

I've noticed some younger fans have a negative impression of McNeal and will probably bristle at his inclusion. That could not be more off base. Until McNeal's injuries -- achilles, broken arm -- he was a young aggressive Pro Bowl caliber corner.

IMO the best corner play ever in a Dolphin uniform was Madison early in his career, maybe 2nd and 3rd seasons. I don't think Surtain ever matched that level, but he has maintained and improved much better than Sam, who obviously declined somewhat. Surtain is also more physical.

Seems to me our best DBs from the glory years were safeties: Jake Scott and Dick Anderson.

For longevity, I'd go with Surtain. I agree that Madison's side of the field was a "No Fly Zone" for roughly his second, third and fourth seasons, but he slipped some. Surtain maintained a level of excellence longer, so I'd put him first.

I agreee exactly...McNeal was dominant....

Madison early on was far more electric than Surtain ever was....

but together they were dominant for about 6 years??

The question was Cornerback, not DB. I'd agree on Dick Anderson as best overall DB.

I don't remember McNeal being as productive as Surtain has been on a consistent basis.

Surtain is not only the best cover corner the fins have ever had
I really think he is the best in the league right now.
Who could touch his skills right now?
Bailey and McAlister? Not as often as they get torched.

Dooger has mentioned the best but Dick Anderson was a great DB as well.I was watching a game downloaded from the torrents against the dynasty bound Steelers in 73 where he had 5 interceptions,two for TDs.He could be dominating at times.

NO........By far the best cornerback Miami has ever seen was Troy Vincent.

I base my opinion on one astounding fact. You have heard this fact brought up in the opinions of Adewale Ogunleye and others in the position prior to him. The fact is that Jason Taylor has made this defense. The pressure he places on the Quarterback cannot be underestimated.

In the seven years Patrick Surtain has been on the roster Jason Taylor has had 75.5 sacks. That's an average of 10 sacks per year. What that has done for the cornerback position is guarantee that the QB has the knowledge that he must get rid of the ball. Why? The QB coach or offensive coordinator has grilled it into him all week. The QB has seen it on film time and again. 3.5 seconds: If it's not there, throw it away. When Troy Vincent was on this team there was no such player. But Vincent succeeded in shutting down half of the field.

I never understood why we didn't resign him in 1996. It was probably the cap crushing 1995 year that was most responsible. Maybe his injury shortened 93 and 94 season had something to do with it. I don't know. But I do know this:

IMO Troy Vincent was the best cornerback to ever suit up in a Dolphins uniform.

Wow ... well ... I don't see it ZOD, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I don't know about corners in our history because i'm to young but Madison and Surtain kind of happened in streaks. Like when Madison was drafted he had that streak of like five years with like 27 interceptions. Then when he started to decline Surtain started to step up and become the better cornerback on the team.

IMO the answer to this question is Sam Madison. I give it to him for longevity and production.

If you look at it for who played at the highest level at CB for the Dolphins, like saying the most dominant CB we've ever had, then Surtain, and possibly Vincent, would certainly be right up there with Madison IMO, for the extremely high he played for 3-4 years.....but Madison had an almost equal 3-4 year run AND had more on either end of that run, now that Pat has moved on.

Also, if you were to view the question as who had the best career who was at some point a Dolphin....then Troy Vincent is probably your winner. It's sort of like saying that Deion Sanders is the greatest all-time Raven CB though.

I'm only judging by what they did as Dolphins, and Madison gets my vote.

MARINO1384 said:
I don't know about corners in our history because i'm to young but Madison and Surtain kind of happened in streaks. Like when Madison was drafted he had that streak of like five years with like 27 interceptions. Then when he started to decline Surtain started to step up and become the better cornerback on the team.

Madison didn't start to decline. Most observers said that Madison began to "press" in an attempt to make the big play. In other words, he attempted to do something he wasn't capable of. IMO Deion Sanders has been the only cornerback that could risk jumping the receiver's short route on a down by down basis and still make up the ground when he had read the route wrong. On the 9 or fly routes Sam Madison was being torched as he couldn't make up the ground he had lost attempting to do what Deion had made a career out of.

Sam Madison went back to playing within the defense. He went back to being an excellent cornerback. That defense required him to play his receiver while the front four placed an extreme amount of pressure on the QB. And we all know who represents pressure as it pertains to the Dolphins defense. We've been riding that horse (Taylor) for a while now. You will see when he is gone.

Back
Top Bottom