Washington releasing Alex Smith | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Washington releasing Alex Smith

I want a young (prefer rookie) to provide legit competition -- definitely want a better athlete -- bigger -- capable of threatening the edge. OK with a developmental kid but way better with a prime choice talent. Position is way to important to neglect otherwise.

I agree Smith should retire and just be thankful he didn't lose part of that leg.
I do think we should draft a QB we can develop. Late round or UDFA. Multiple drafts ago Mcshay, Kiper, or someone like that said you should draft a qb every year. I do think our back up this year should be heavy in the mentor skill area rather than just a young QB. I think Tua needs more mental development, what rookie doesnt, than competition.

People questioning Tuas arm strength are fools. He set completion records in college for passes over +20 yards. Pull up any old Youtube highlight video. Just ignorant and pushing a fake narrative. It will be quite amazing how strong his arm becomes once he’s fully healthy, has a full camp, gets some legit weapons and an offense that highlights his strengths. On Alex Smith hell yes. His stats weren’t great but he’s a winner. Passes Won four games late and almost beat the SB champs in playoffs. I’ll take a one yr rental and a mentor for Tua please.
Tua had an accurate deep ball but we didn't have a deep threat at all, if we get a receiver who can get separation then I can see dime city. The ball doesn't need to get their fast, it just needs to be precise and accurate. Tua proved he had that touch all throughout college. Even on short routes, a QB doesn't need a cannon like that, People think a ten yard pass with a lack in zip is easy to jump for defenders but accuracy can still beat DBs jumping the ball. Most of all with then short passes, we're definitely trying to develop Tua into reading defenses so he can audible things in the future and run it at the line. QBs who get that down can throw ducks all day and still thrive. Let's just watch Tom Brady's last few seasons and Peyton at Denver. Super weak arms but they're still dominating consistently. That's because they're knowledge of the game. You don't need to be physically gifted to thrive at QB and a lot of people don't see that. That being said, we need to hope Tua can develop that knowledge of reading defenses consistently. That's the most important thing i want to see from him.

He'd be a great backup/mentor, but similar to Fitz he probably wants to have a shot at starting. My guess is he gets reunited with Matt Nagy in Chicago for around $10m.

I would rather have Trubisky or Mariota..cap hit this year is not players friendly. 3 to 5 million. Should work..or draft another qb in 4th rd...

Last edited:
He'd be a great backup/mentor, but similar to Fitz he probably wants to have a shot at starting. My guess is he gets reunited with Matt Nagy in Chicago for around $10m.
You could be right but dont think Alex Smith can be even remotely considered a starter with how last season went. Smith can cover a few games at best. I also doubt Smith is worth 10million at this point even though he would be a great mentor for Tua. To ask 10 mil you need to be a top QB back up like Mariota.

No.

The kid doesn't need any more mentoring, and he sure doesn't need any distractions. If he could truly help then fine, but I seriously doubt it.

Give him a Cam contract and I'll think about it.

Tua had an accurate deep ball but we didn't have a deep threat at all, if we get a receiver who can get separation then I can see dime city. The ball doesn't need to get their fast, it just needs to be precise and accurate. Tua proved he had that touch all throughout college. Even on short routes, a QB doesn't need a cannon like that, People think a ten yard pass with a lack in zip is easy to jump for defenders but accuracy can still beat DBs jumping the ball. Most of all with then short passes, we're definitely trying to develop Tua into reading defenses so he can audible things in the future and run it at the line. QBs who get that down can throw ducks all day and still thrive. Let's just watch Tom Brady's last few seasons and Peyton at Denver. Super weak arms but they're still dominating consistently. That's because they're knowledge of the game. You don't need to be physically gifted to thrive at QB and a lot of people don't see that. That being said, we need to hope Tua can develop that knowledge of reading defenses consistently. That's the most important thing i want to see from him.
Excellent! I think Tua had around a 67% completion rate on passes over 20 yards. That’s ridiculous

too expensive. i want a back up modeled after tua not a model for tua to follow. tender ruddock, sign udfa david moore

No. If we’re going to go with Tua then we need to draft our new backup QB. Don’t go the veteran route bc were asking for problems if we go that way again this year. If Tua starts to struggle which he undoubtedly will during some stretch of the season (this happens to most QBs through the course of a 16 game season) and Flo brings in a Alex Smith or Andy Dalton or some vet and he plays well and we win then we’ll have guys in the locker room questioning Tua again. We don’t need the relief pitcher style deployed at all this year. We need to see and know what Tua can do and if he can bring us from behind in the 4th quarter when we’re trailing. Before the pumpers jump on this post and say “Arizona” I’m not talking about last year I’m talking about this year and for a full 16 games. We need to see Tua for a full 16 if that’s the route we’re going so we can make a decision after this year on whether he’s the guy. I don’t want any more excuses. He’s either the guy or he’s not after this year.

We need to draft a rookie in the 3/4 round. Somebody like Kyle Trask/Davis Mills/Kellen Mond. Honestly I really don’t care although all 3 of those guys are interesting in their own ways. Just draft a rookie and let him be the backup and if a 3/4 round rookie happens to come in and outplay Tua then we know he ain’t the guy anyway and then we’ve got another young guy who’s at least showed potential and would have some value. Draft a QB every year until we get it right. Who knows maybe we’d get lucky and get a Kirk Cousins/Dak Prescott type. Bottom line don’t put ANY unnecessary pressure on Tua. I want him to KNOW he’s the guy from the opening snap until the final whistle. I’m as hopeful/curious as everybody else but I just think we should go the rookie backup route rather than the vet backup route. Plus this saves probably 5-7 million on the cap.
For some reason I think u afraid that mid level qb could take Tua job..if he come in here as backup. I wouldn't be surprised if that...

I know Tua will have some good game in 2021..what happened when he dont have some good game. Do flo pull him out game and put backup in or do he let him play. He must let Tua play thru it regardless or Tua will probably lose confidence..

For some reason I think u afraid that mid level qb could take Tua job..if he come in here as backup. I wouldn't be surprised if that...
Lol bro I’m not a Tua pumper at all. You should see some of the arguments I’ve been in on here. I personally don’t think he’s the guy but my point in this post was that I don’t want anymore excuses for him. Give him his full 16 game season without looking over his shoulder and then we’ll know for sure whether he’s the guy. Believe me I’ve tried to be very careful with how I word any post that has to do with Tua bc I don’t got the time to sit and argue like I’ve had to before. I just ain’t going to do it anymore but believe me definitely not a Tua pumper.

Back
Top Bottom