Washington releasing Alex Smith | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Washington releasing Alex Smith

Guy is delusional. He can't play anymore and he shouldn't want to either with that messed up leg, he needs to hang em up. We need a back up QB that can actually move and make plays to challenge Tua like Fitz did. I hope nobody picks him up for his own sake, you can't play the game effectively holding your breath on every hit.
He actually played really well all things considered.

He may be too pricey to bring in, but he would be a great fit as our #2.

I want Fitz back or someone better if Tua is so fragile as not to handle the competition or not good enough to keep up we have the wrong guy under center. Plus it's all about winning now not 3 years from now. If Tua goes down which is very possible then having a decent veteran backup under center is going to be extremely important. We missed the playoffs by one game really 1 quarter of the Denver game. If Flores brought in Fitz 5 minutes earlier we probably win that game and same with the Raiders instead of miracle win we have a nice win. Loosing to learn is BS.

You could be right but dont think Alex Smith can be even remotely considered a starter with how last season went. Smith can cover a few games at best. I also doubt Smith is worth 10million at this point even though he would be a great mentor for Tua. To ask 10 mil you need to be a top QB back up like Mariota.
Didn't he come in and lead them to a 5-1 record after they started 2-6? You'd expect some rust given the time away, but otherwise he looked pretty good considering the rust.
I don't think he'd be continuing to play unless it's for a chance to start, so we're probably not a team he'd consider anyway. But a team like Chicago will be plenty interested in letting him compete to start, and giving him a similar contact to what Fitz got last year.

Lol bro I’m not a Tua pumper at all. You should see some of the arguments I’ve been in on here. I personally don’t think he’s the guy but my point in this post was that I don’t want anymore excuses for him. Give him his full 16 game season without looking over his shoulder and then we’ll know for sure whether he’s the guy. Believe me I’ve tried to be very careful with how I word any post that has to do with Tua bc I don’t got the time to sit and argue like I’ve had to before. I just ain’t going to do it anymore but believe me definitely not a Tua pumper.
Got give him 16 games next yr to get real deal..I am not sure either but next yr will tell alot. For example Mayfield look good first yr. Was avg second. Look great third yr. So we will see.. I dont have problem w bring in good young qb too. Like redskins did with kurt/ rg3

Got give him 16 games next yr to get real deal..I am not sure either but next yr will tell alot. For example Mayfield look good first yr. Was avg second. Look great third yr. So we will see.. I dont have problem w bring in good young qb too. Like redskins did with kurt/ rg3
That’s exactly my point. If we’re going with Tua for next year then give him the full 16 game season without looking over his shoulder. The relief pitcher style doesn’t need to be employed anymore. If we’re going with Tua then that’s who we need to go with from start to finish for all 16. I don’t want anymore excuses one way or the other for him. After this season coming barring injury... Tua will show whether he is the guy moving forward or if we need to start looking for another QB.

He’s gonna still want to start and he’s pretty good so that’s the only reason I’d say no.

If he’s willing to come in and be a backup and mentor Tua and then start if he gets hurt, sign me up.

Flores screwed up with the whole relief pitcher thing.

Tua can't look like the 2nd best QB in camp.
Well, apparently he did look like the 2nd best QB in camp last year. I don’t think that will be the case this year though.

That’s exactly my point. If we’re going with Tua for next year then give him the full 16 game season without looking over his shoulder. The relief pitcher style doesn’t need to be employed anymore. If we’re going with Tua then that’s who we need to go with from start to finish for all 16. I don’t want anymore excuses one way or the other for him. After this season coming barring injury... Tua will show whether he is the guy moving forward or if we need to start looking for another QB.
Had we not been chasing a playoff bid, I don’t think Flores would have pulled Tua in those 3 games. Fitz got 2 wins for us and that darn near got us in. I wanted a playoff bid even though we weren’t going to go anywhere. It would have been good for the young team to get the experience.

Had we not been chasing a playoff bid, I don’t think Flores would have pulled Tua in those 3 games. Fitz got 2 wins for us and that darn near got us in. I wanted a playoff bid even though we weren’t going to go anywhere. It would have been good for the young team to get the experience.
I’m not saying Flo wasn’t right bc he was. I agree I wanted to get to the playoffs to but I’m talking about this coming season. I don’t want to see that anymore. It’s now year 2 and as everybody loves to point out Tua will have had an entire offseason to focus on being a QB instead of rehabbing. No more of that relief pitcher stuff. If that has to happen again this year then Tua is not the guy. That’s all I’m saying. I want him to get his full 16 whether we sink or swim. I don’t want to be in this position again next offseason where we still ain’t sure about our QB. We’re never going to win a Super Bowl without a star QB. It’s just not going to happen. We need to know what Tua is going to be. I’m not saying he’s got to win MVP but I am saying he needs to show growth and the ability to be an NFL level QB. I hope he’s the guy I truly do but we need to know. I don’t want to go through another Tannehill era where we can’t decide after 7 years or however long it was Tannehill was here. After this year Tua is either the man or he’s not and we start looking again. That’s all I’m saying.

He actually played really well all things considered.

He may be too pricey to bring in, but he would be a great fit as our #2.
He can’t move anymore and his arm was never great to begin with, he’s about finished whether he realizes it or not. Let’s get a QB that can actually play ball because Tua isn't exactly a tank back there, I trust Grier will make the right decision like he did with Van Noy.

If the front office brings in competition (like they should for EVERY position) and Tua continues to look like the 2nd best QB then we made a mistake drafting him.

That said I do hope and expect Tua to live up to his draft pedigree but if he can't beat out internal competition he doesn't deserve a roster seat.
Perfectly stated!

No. If we’re going to go with Tua then we need to draft our new backup QB. Don’t go the veteran route bc were asking for problems if we go that way again this year. If Tua starts to struggle which he undoubtedly will during some stretch of the season (this happens to most QBs through the course of a 16 game season) and Flo brings in a Alex Smith or Andy Dalton or some vet and he plays well and we win then we’ll have guys in the locker room questioning Tua again. We don’t need the relief pitcher style deployed at all this year. We need to see and know what Tua can do and if he can bring us from behind in the 4th quarter when we’re trailing. Before the pumpers jump on this post and say “Arizona” I’m not talking about last year I’m talking about this year and for a full 16 games. We need to see Tua for a full 16 if that’s the route we’re going so we can make a decision after this year on whether he’s the guy. I don’t want any more excuses. He’s either the guy or he’s not after this year.

We need to draft a rookie in the 3/4 round. Somebody like Kyle Trask/Davis Mills/Kellen Mond. Honestly I really don’t care although all 3 of those guys are interesting in their own ways. Just draft a rookie and let him be the backup and if a 3/4 round rookie happens to come in and outplay Tua then we know he ain’t the guy anyway and then we’ve got another young guy who’s at least showed potential and would have some value. Draft a QB every year until we get it right. Who knows maybe we’d get lucky and get a Kirk Cousins/Dak Prescott type. Bottom line don’t put ANY unnecessary pressure on Tua. I want him to KNOW he’s the guy from the opening snap until the final whistle. I’m as hopeful/curious as everybody else but I just think we should go the rookie backup route rather than the vet backup route. Plus this saves probably 5-7 million on the cap.
Wait...am I reading this right? We don't want the best backup we can get because Tua will likely struggle, and the better back up will likely win,and we care too much about Tua to allow that? Holy Snowflakes, Batman.

So funny as many here think Tua will be a great QB yet we’re scared of someone making him look second best in camp. SMH if that’s the case then Tua isn’t the long term answer.
Amazing isn't it...

Thought this thread would die since Alex Smith isn't relevant but if for any reason we open up cap space it could be due to the fact we might need cap space for a back up.

Wait...am I reading this right? We don't want the best backup we can get because Tua will likely struggle, and the better back up will likely win,and we care too much about Tua to allow that? Holy Snowflakes, Batman.
Again... sorry to sound like a Tua apologist. I had to tell someone else the same thing later in this post... I’m not a Tua pumper at all believe me I have my doubts. I just want the excuses to stop one way or the other. Give the kid his full 16 and let’s see what he can do.

Back
Top Bottom