Watch A Breakdown Of Why I Think We Need More I-formation (which We Only Did 3 Times Last Weekend) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch A Breakdown Of Why I Think We Need More I-formation (which We Only Did 3 Times Last Weekend)

AnthonySabaNFL

Active Roster
Reaction score
Inject this into my veins! We only ran I-formation 3 TIMES last game, while plays out of the shotgun 25 times (how's that going for us?)! Watch the breakdown of why I love this so much. Let O'Leary lead Drake/Gore through the hole, play-action, etc.

I understand wanting 3-5 WRs on the field at the beginning of the year, but we have what, 2 healthy ones left? Let's not shove a square peg into a round hole (our offense is ranked 29th anyway) and give the I-formation 10-15 plays per game!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnthonySabaNFL
Subscribe to my YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/AnthonySabaNFL

I think the absence of Q Gray and the slower than anticipated development of gesicki limits gases ability to run these type of plays more often.

Agreed, especially if NE comes out in a Dime like they did the first game. Run hard at them and PA

You would think that's what Gase would do.
Run the ball, slow the game down, milk the clock, minimize the touches and oh yeah keep Brady and that offense on the bench as much as possible. Especially against our vulnerable defense.

If you try to get into a shootout against that team then you lose, badly!

Inject this into my veins! We only ran I-formation 3 TIMES last game, while plays out of the shotgun 25 times (how's that going for us?)! Watch the breakdown of why I love this so much. Let O'Leary lead Drake/Gore through the hole, play-action, etc.

I understand wanting 3-5 WRs on the field at the beginning of the year, but we have what, 2 healthy ones left? Let's not shove a square peg into a round hole (our offense is ranked 29th anyway) and give the I-formation 10-15 plays per game!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnthonySabaNFL
Subscribe to my YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/AnthonySabaNFL

A couple of things I noticed on that first play other than the great block by O'Leary. One is a good block by Davis and also noticed how James got pushed back about 5 yards right off the snap.

A couple of things I noticed on that first play other than the great block by O'Leary. One is a good block by Davis and also noticed how James got pushed back about 5 yards right off the snap.

Whoever is the OL coach and strength/Conditioning coaches need to be fired.
Our guys play with no sense of leverage/foundations and are as weak as poodles.

Bravo.

I-formation and offset I-formation have been absurdly downgraded in football period. I've been screaming for both the Dolphins and Canes to use it. There are so many wonderful permutations, ones that perplexed defenses years ago and it would still happen today.

Drake would be perfect as I-formation tailback. We could rotate him forward into the slot, like O'Leary in the first highlighted play, or we could do it in reverse, lining up Drake in the slot and then shifting him back to tailback.

The late '80s Canes uses to drive opponents nuts by doing that with a versatile halfback named Cleveland Gary, who became a first round pick of the Rams.

O'Leary would be ideal for a double wingback look. Put Gore as solo halfback with Drake and O'Leary on each side as wingbacks. We might look like Georgia Tech but you don't have to run options out of that set. You can do practically anything.

I have to laugh whenever teams with weak or moderate quarterbacks line up all day in lazy 4-wide sets out of the shotgun, as if somehow believing that look is maximizing their potential.

Oh yea baby!

What a concept!

Have a legit FB on the field!

Totally radical!

You would've thought some "genius" would've come up with this?

IMO the decline of the average N F L game is directly related to the systematic elimination of the FB position.

Key here is both plays were successful against an 8 man box. First play was perfect execution in that everyone took care of their blocks. As the Op states it’s also sets up PA which worked perfectly in the second clip.

We need to use this more but it’s almost an afterthought in this day and age of the spread.

This also exhibits an example of why I think we execute so inconsistently on offense since Gase arrived. Lack of identity. One minute we are spread. Next we are offset I. Then it’s read option. Then it’s wildcat. It’s no wonder with such an expansive playbook from our genius coach that we generally are horrible on offense earlier in year and better on offense as the season rolls on.

Gase needs to scale back and get an identity and foundation that we start dictating from week 1. By all means different formations but a a true identity. I’m not sure we have one.

look at how bad tannehill sells the playaction in the second play.

Wrong. The play action back players job is to cut so we can throw the flats. Tannehill executes that exactly right. You don’t full out sell that to the back cause he must get directly to the cut and you need that ball in the flats options hands as soon as possible out of it so he can turn up field and gain max rac.

And we got hosed on that spot by the way. Should have challenged it. Lost at least a half a yard

Best thing they did was take gesicki off the poa ask and field period on the first play and use him purely as a decoy on the 2nd one

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way and i say it again ONLY WAY to beat tjthe e Pats is by harassing, hitting, and sacking TB. If you don't do that you lose...period

Back
Top Bottom