Watch This: More 3rd And 1 Frustration As We Stay In Shotgun And Throw The Ball... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch This: More 3rd And 1 Frustration As We Stay In Shotgun And Throw The Ball...

Don't mind going for a big play on 3-1, but Parker is not your guy to run that route, not fast enough to sell the hitch.
Also, why does O'Leary not even try to chip the outside shoulder of that defender who abuses Sterrup?
We know Brock is a backup so we expect inconsistency out of him.
Only good thing I saw on that play was Gore picked up blitz and made a nice block.
So that's 3 bad plays and 1 good one on that down....about right for the Dolphins!

These types of 3rd and 1 out of shot-gun concepts that Gase like to run only holds up if

1) You have an OL that's average to above average
2) You have a QB that's average to above average.

Fundamentally I absolutely hate these types of calls/formation because they require several things to go right.

What's more frustrating is teams like the Patriots with a million plays and personnel with a 41 yoa QB runs QB sneaks probably more than anyone.

Don't mind going for a big play on 3-1, but Parker is not your guy to run that route, not fast enough to sell the hitch.
Also, why does O'Leary not even try to chip the outside shoulder of that defender who abuses Sterrup?
We know Brock is a backup so we expect inconsistency out of him.
Only good thing I saw on that play was Gore picked up blitz and made a nice block.
So that's 3 bad plays and 1 good one on that down....about right for the Dolphins!

I do mind going for a "big play" on 3rd and 1

Here's why, name the last time we got a "big play" off 3rd and 1?
Hopefully big play means to you a lot more than picking up 1 yards for the conversation.

I do mind going for a "big play" on 3rd and 1

Here's why, name the last time we got a "big play" off 3rd and 1?
Hopefully big play means to you a lot more than picking up 1 yards for the conversation.

You're wrong there. Making 3rd and 1 IS a big play for Miami

You're wrong there. Making 3rd and 1 IS a big play for Miami

Fine, let's go with they are big plays for Miami.
If they're big plays for Miami then why do we absolutely, without fail, pick plays/formation that increases the chances that we won't convert 3rd and 1?

Here's an example of what I mean:

3rd and 1 spread defenses out 3, 4 receiver personnel. Hand the ball to Gore/QB sneak

vs.

The crap we always run.

What's more likely to pick up that 1 yard to convert?

Our team isn't good enough to keep trying the lower probability plays and it's crap like that that adds up to inefficient offensive production. I would expect the offensive guru in Gase to understand those basic fundamental principals.

Last edited:
that really is it...the play calling given the personnel on the team is what makes no sense in these scenarios.

It’s baffling how bad his team is in these situations. But then again not really because we are a finesse team. So we try to finesse our way through short yardage.

If they're big plays for Miami then why do we absolutely, without fail, pick plays/formation that increases the chances that we won't convert 3rd and 1?

3rd and 1 spread defenses out 3, 4 receiver personnel. Hand the ball to Gore/QB sneak

vs.

The crap we always run.

Our team isn't good enough to keep trying the lower probability plays and it's crap like that that adds up to inefficient offensive production. I would expect the offensive guru in Gase to understand those basic fundamental principals.

First, the 'is a big play' was half sarcasm. The other half was frustration it IS a big play, given 3rd down efficiency. with that preface, I agree.
I watch as many games (live) as I can every week. Interestingly, I'm surprised how many teams try to hard to outsmart the D. Sweeps, deep balls, trying the same play that worked the last 6 times . . . At times, it seems like there are 3-5 REAL OCs in the NFL and the remanider are pretenders.

vs.

The crap we always run.

This is why Gase MUST be replaced!!! I don't mean have the OC call the plays while Gase is still the Head Coach, I mean Gase has to go. No excuses that it's the players... these are Gase's players. And, I find it odd that everyone seems to be getting injured under Gase's command, as if even their practices and conditioning are ineffective. Philbin was bad for this team, and now it appears that Gase is even worse.

This is why Gase MUST be replaced!!! I don't mean have the OC call the plays while Gase is still the Head Coach, I mean Gase has to go. No excuses that it's the players... these are Gase's players. And, I find it odd that everyone seems to be getting injured under Gase's command, as if even their practices and conditioning are ineffective. Philbin was bad for this team, and now it appears that Gase is even worse.

Just my opinion, but blaming Gase et al or any HC for injuries is a stretch. I doubt there's much difference between the training programs of any team, and I know of no training regimen that can prevent broken shoulders, torn ACLs, or any number of injuries.
OTOH, I agree, it isn't ONLY the players. To repeat my laughable example, 'Grant was supposed to block Mack on that play, but he failed. It's all execution.' No it isn't. It's mismatches. It's scheme. It's gameplanning. You know, stuff a REAL OC would do. Or running with 9 in the box. Or a sweep when it hasn't worked all game. Gase has the players and I'm one who thinks this team, pre-injuries, has talent. The problem is USING the talent.

Poor read by os. He should be looking to his flats primary sticks concept release of o Leary with the built in rub concept.

If he does immediately post snap it’s an easy conversion.

For some reason it appears he’s looking to the top side boundary.

Tbe sticks concepts are the primary’s on these provided you get the right coverage which we did.

More evidence of poor execution.

Why not take what the D is giving you? Walk up to center tap him on the butt and run over the uncovered gap.

Because you're being too smart and logical. Gase/this team seems to loath taking what's given to them and hates conventional football.

Seems like he'd rather lose trying to be fancy and not conventional than win and be labeled a conventional play-caller.

3rd and 1 Qb sneak? Hell No
Bootleg with 1 receiving threat? Yeah! That's a lot more exciting.

It’s man coverage all day long with a man beater rub built in to release the O’Leary route for an easy sticks conversion.

There’s nothing wrong with the play call. Qb can’t screw that up. He read it wrong.

I can show you this stuff on tape with this qb all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom