Watch This Sick Route By Stills That Was Wide Open For A Td That Never Happens... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch This Sick Route By Stills That Was Wide Open For A Td That Never Happens...

You do understand football isn't plated with still shots right?

i can GUARANTEE you that dolphintodd does not understand that. And if THill tried to set and throw that 40 yards he would have likely had another of those shoukder injuries from the DE.

And Dolphintodd would be here with still photos complaining hiw THill didnt feel the pressure and move to his right like he should have. these people- prob never played the game and certainly dont understand the speed of nfl football.

If you drift you want to drift towards your target. I got no problem with climbing forward there but let it go don’t hitch multiple times.

No doubt in my mind this is arm compensation related. Unless he just doesn’t see it which I struggle with cause the motion creates the primary and I know he sees that safety location and says I got what I want

This play illustrates the difference between an average QB like RT and an elite QB.
It’s a lack of anticipation and field vision. Nothing seriously wrong with what RT does, but he certainly doesn’t maximize opportunities like the better QBs do.
Missing plays like that is the difference between winning 7-9 games a year and winning 10-12 games a year. It’s why RT has a career winning percentage of .500.
He’s a steward of the offense until you find your franchise guy in he draft.

If you drift you want to drift towards your target. I got no problem with climbing forward there but let it go don’t hitch multiple times.

No doubt in my mind this is arm compensation related. Unless he just doesn’t see it which I struggle with cause the motion creates the primary and I know he sees that safety location and says I got what I want
Of course you want to step into your throw but what Tannehill does he steps forward into a pile of big guys.

But if he drifts back two more steps he has plenty of room to step back into his throw. At that point he actually had two targets. Stills to the right and (not sure who it is) coming over the middle and then cutting to the left. The safety can only cover one and he committed to Stills. Both receivers ran a perfect route and both were available for a TD.

You are a tape guy. Go look at some tapes from other QBs. We are always in awe how much time other QBs have but most of the time they create the time by working the pocket. To say "oh he has to step forward to throw" (while correct) is to distract that Ryan has no pocket presence. This video is the picture perfect example of a QB not knowing how to handle a collapsing pocket. All he had to do is drop two more steps.......

Of course you want to step into your throw but what Tannehill does he steps forward into a pile of big guys.

But if he drifts back two more steps he has plenty of room to step back into his throw. At that point he actually had two targets. Stills to the right and (not sure who it is) coming over the middle and then cutting to the left. The safety can only cover one and he committed to Stills. Both receivers ran a perfect route and both were available for a TD.

You are a tape guy. Go look at some tapes from other QBs. We are always in awe how much time other QBs have but most of the time they create the time by working the pocket. To say "oh he has to step forward to throw" (while correct) is to distract that Ryan has no pocket presence. This video is the picture perfect example of a QB not knowing how to handle a collapsing pocket. All he had to do is drop two more steps.......

Hitching forward was a bad mistake on Tanny's part considering the pocket was collapsing inside so it does show a lack of pocket awareness, which has been the case his whole career. Hoops pointed out it was due to arm compensation, A healthy Ryan doesn't compensate by hitching forward, but it still doesn't negate the pocket awareness issue u brought up.

You do understand football isn't plated with still shots right?
Well tbh it doesn’t really have anything to do with a still shot, RT should have seen him going open 2 seconds before that still shot was taken, then thrown the ball in time for Stills to catch it when he was 4 yards in front of his man. This was an easy walk in TD had the situation been taken advantage of whether it be better QB awareness or better blocking.

Based on the corners leverage that ball should of been thrown after Stills faked inside anticipating he would be open, Hitching and hesitating just makes the throw that much harder.

Not being a smartass. How does he anticipate that the corner is going to bite that hard on the first move?

Tannehill had plenty of time to get the ball off. He steps up twice without getting into his throwing motion. A great QB realizes that the safety is not gonna make this play (he's nowhere in the picture) and it's just a matter of throwing the ball deep enough for your WR to beat coverage and get underneath it. Tannehill didn't want to make this throw down the field. Not sure if it was because of shoulder or what, but it's WIDE OPEN! If you study film and know your guys you throw this up and hope Stills comes down with it... end of story! Stop making excuses for Tannehill... this is on him... throw it up!

Ball should've been gone at the 13 second mark. The more I look at it, the ball could've been gone at 12 when Stills hit's the 50. You aren't going to see guys beat coverage every play. Sometimes you have to trust the play call and let it fly. It's a TD!
I agree w this. This is the definition of “throwing a guy open”. Marino never waited until the WR had 4 yards on the DB. He threw it when he realized the D was beat and as you say put air under it to a spot for the WR to run under. That’s what the great QBs do. There are 10 QBs in the league today that would have made that a TD. Tannehill has always waited too long to throw the ball downfield. Does not have the anticipation that the best QBs do. Granted most QBs don’t either. But w Brady or Brees or Rodger etc that’s 6 every time.

Good work as always. I think there was a proverbial window when Ryan could have thrown

on anticipation when he seemingly had the "leg room" to do so -- but on this particular

example (as on way too MANY in his career in My Yammie) the kid was under im

pending assault and tried to buy a tad more time + better window and

BANG

that's all it takes lacking Marino like chops to hurl the pig

deep down field. I have my reservations with RT for sure but this is

one of those prime examples where his ardent defenders can (could) make a

legit claim that he lacked the prophylactic protection a QB needs to be effective

(again, unless you're a Marino...)

Note: for me I'm NOT discounting his "arm" condition, which is another matter (excuse).

Last edited:
Just a mention, that ball to Carroo was in the air 44 yards I believe, so I don't see how the throw to Stills would have been any more difficult as far as distance is concerned.

Just a mention, that ball to Carroo was in the air 44 yards I believe, so I don't see how the throw to Stills would have been any more difficult as far as distance is concerned.

yeah it was a duck and a half, it was probably supposed to be in the air 60 yards. I said in game day chat here after the TD. my wife said yall scored why aren't you jumping up and down. I just replied with "tannehills arm is gone" and then went and grabbed a beer and a smoke. weak armed qb's know how to play with their noodle, they make it to the pros off of their brains and recognition ala penny. QB's with strong arms but are lesser in the other areas cant just all of a sudden being amazing with doing 60% of what they're expecting their body to do. RT throws that ball and it looks just like the one he threw to carroo IMHO, only difference is, stills isn't the alpha male type WR that is just going to fight the db for it, plus if it flutters then possibly two db's are over there. right now honestly that route is probably still ran hoping something else shorter might open up for RT by puling the cb's deep, possibly hoping for the cross at 15 or a delayed route by KD

yeah it was a duck and a half, it was probably supposed to be in the air 60 yards. I said in game day chat here after the TD. my wife said yall scored why aren't you jumping up and down. I just replied with "tannehills arm is gone" and then went and grabbed a beer and a smoke. weak armed qb's know how to play with their noodle, they make it to the pros off of their brains and recognition ala penny. QB's with strong arms but are lesser in the other areas cant just all of a sudden being amazing with doing 60% of what they're expecting their body to do. RT throws that ball and it looks just like the one he threw to carroo IMHO, only difference is, stills isn't the alpha male type WR that is just going to fight the db for it, plus if it flutters then possibly two db's are over there. right now honestly that route is probably still ran hoping something else shorter might open up for RT by puling the cb's deep, possibly hoping for the cross at 15 or a delayed route by KD
Well, if we can't rely on a QB to hit that pass, then he shouldn't be on the field.
It limits the offense, and is like playing with one arm tied behind your back.
We went through this same crap with Jay Fiedler. Remember the "back handed handoffs"? And noodle armed throws?

he appeared to be passing fine,zipping the ball, i dont see why he couldnt have made the throw

Drifting backwards isn't the answer here. He did the right thing by stepping up in the pocket, he just needed to make the throw. If he goes backwards he's hit earlier or knocked off his spot which won't give him the opportunity to make this throw. Best case scenario was him taking one hitch step forward, planting his feet, and letting it fly.

Just too, indecisive both guys are man vs man, you aren't wrong giving stills an opportunity to run over this.... high school QB's make these throws every Friday, IT'S A 35 YARD THROW! BALL SHOULD BE PLACED SOMEWHERE AROUND THE 35. IT'S FRUSTRATING!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom