Wayne's Huizengha's Foresight....... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wayne's Huizengha's Foresight.......

FinaticalOne

DieHard FinFan 4 Life
Reaction score
I just got word that the Dolphin brass decided to retain Wanny for the final year of his contract. My first thought was, "I don't believe it!" But then, I sat back and thought about it, "who is out there, that can really turn this team around?" The answer is no one. There are no John Gruden's or Bill Parcell's available. There are no college coaches who can come in and take this team to the super bowl while we still have our core of veterans still intact. I don't wanna hear Nick Saban or some other college coach as being the answer to our prayers, because doing that will set our team back a couple years and by that time, our window will close and our core of veterans will be gone, or past thier prime. I tried to search for a list via internet for NFL Coaches' contract status after the 2004 season, but had no success. If anyone can find it, this could give us some light to what Wayne H. has in mind.

Here are some of he available NFL coaches after this season:

Rumors about Spurrier to the Dolphins have now been squashed (think God!). I definitely didn't want him coming to Miami because Ricky dosen't fit his scheme.

Jim Fassel? Give me a break, he isn't any better than what we already have.

Dick Jauron? Wanny is a genious compared to him.

Dave McGinness (spelling?) See Dick Jauron.

Dan Reeves? I find it a LITTLE bit intriguing...but the Falcons as a whole look bad, even with Vick on the roster. I'm not sure how much of it was his fault, but I don't see this as an upgrade.

Dennis Green? interesting, this guy is a better NFL coach than the ones aforementioned, but it won't happen now. Check back with this option if things don't improve after next year.

Has anyone noticd that ever since Holmgren dropped his GM duties and concentrated on being just a head coach, his team has been going in the right direction ever since? Wayne H. is heading in that direction. Expect to see a General Manager being hired in February. I have a feeling that Wayne H. may know that there are better options after next season for a head coach then this year (can anyone help me on this one). That's why I think he decided to let Wanny finish out the final year of his contract.

What are your thoughts?

i think DW is a good coach. i think DW is good enough to win the SB.

i don't think DW makes good personel choices. with some improvment on the O, all those close games, we might have won. now we have a GM who will do that. plus it leaves DW more time to worry about coaching and not players.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
i think DW is a good coach. i think DW is good enough to win the SB.

i don't think DW makes good personel choices. with some improvment on the O, all those close games, we might have won. now we have a GM who will do that. plus it leaves DW more time to worry about coaching and not players.

Wannstedt is a good coach? What team have you been watching lately? :rolleyes2

There are a lot of coordinators that could be good head coaches, such as Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Tom Moore, Mike Heimerdinger, etc. From former Head Coaches, Dennis Green and Bill Cowher (if he is fired) would be good as well. Some college coaches such as Nick Saban (former DC in Cleveland), Bob Stoops, and Kirk Ferentz could also be good head coaches. I would take any of the guys I listed of Wanny.

Hiring a GM will do nothing. Wannstedt doesn't prepare players well, they are poorly disciplined and make stupid mistakes, and they walk all over him, and none of this will change if we hire a GM. I don't think we need a hard *** but we need someone who won't let players do anything they want.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

There are a lot of coordinators that could be good head coaches, such as Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Tom Moore, Mike Heimerdinger, etc. From former Head Coaches, Dennis Green and Bill Cowher (if he is fired) would be good as well. Some college coaches such as Nick Saban (former DC in Cleveland), Bob Stoops, and Kirk Ferentz could also be good head coaches. I would take any of the guys I listed of Wanny.

Hiring a GM will do nothing. Wannstedt doesn't prepare players well, they are poorly disciplined and make stupid mistakes, and they walk all over him, and none of this will change if we hire a GM. I don't think we need a hard *** but we need someone who won't let players do anything they want.

coach of the year wasn't he? when he took over JJ team we went 11-5. which was an improvement over JJ.

why? because he just took over the players. if he doesn't do personel, we'll be fine.

I thought about all of those guys, but they are still under contract too. I don't want to jump the gun to pick up a head coach this year when there may be better options next year.

Like I was saying before, we don't have the whole picture in front of us like Wayne does. I would like to find out what coaches will be available after the 2004 season before I make a judgment on Wanny being retained. Help anyone on finding a list of contract status of all NFL coaches.

Saying you woud take Saban, Stoops, or Frentz over Wanny would be a gamble worth not taking, in my opinion. I'm referring to the ever-closing window of opportunity with our veterans. What makes you think the players are walking over Wanny? That is pure speculation. The core players are on Wanny's side. They want to win for him, not because he's a "pushover", but because they respect him as coach. Jimmy Johnson wasn't a push over, he would waive a player over a "fumble". He released players for very minute reasons (tardiness, etc.), and it didn't get this team anywhere. Wanny has been more successful with the Fins than Jimmy was, in my opinion.

I'm in no way, defending Wanny to stay. I just want to see the whole picture before criticizing the decision on Wanny being retained hence the name of the thread.

I am sure the reason Wanny kept is job is because the team won 42 games in the 4 years... well thats just fine and dandy but did you all realize with all the talent and pro-bowlers on this team Daffy Duck would have won 44 or 45 game as head coach..... God I am sooooooo pissssssssed!!!

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!! Dave is afraid to win games. He is just WAY to conservative to be a head coach. A DC sure but not the head guy. He just does not have the backbone to make decisions. Mark it down, this team will give up on him next year. We go 8-8 at best.

Originally posted by Jeep
I am sure the reason Wanny kept is job is because the team won 42 games in the 4 years... well thats just fine and dandy but did you all realize with all the talent and pro-bowlers on this team Daffy Duck would have won 44 or 45 game as head coach..... God I am sooooooo pissssssssed!!!
:lol: That is just TOO funny. I can just imagine Daffy wadling up and down the sideline cussing Mare for missing another kick. "WHAAAAAACK, he missed it again".
Thats too funny.

You never know how good another coach could be if you don't give him a chance. We know what we have with Wannstedt, getting worse postseason-wise every season even though he claims the talent is better every year. Wannstedt was a horrible coach with the Bears and the only reason he's won 10 games a year with the Dolphins is because he has better talent here to work with than with the Bears. We have enough overall talent for any coach to coast through the season and win games, we need someone who adds that extra something coaching-wise to take this team to the next level. With Wannstedt we're just sitting in neutral. Give someone else a shot!

I'm in agreement with the threads initiator...

there are no clear upgrades at H/C available to make an immediate impact with the personnel we have. It is my view that Wanny has given to much attention to the D during the offseasons believing it capable of producing 14 of the 21 points necessary to win most games. He hasn't be far wide of the mark. But when a GM is allowed to balance the needs of the primary units a little, there is the possibility that the team will get it's priorities right.

When Wannstedt all of a sudden has accountability to someone, it is quite possible that he will also pass that accountability on down the chain. You know what they say about sh*t and hills.

Originally posted by relive1972
You never know how good another coach could be if you don't give him a chance. We know what we have with Wannstedt, getting worse postseason-wise every season even though he claims the talent is better every year. Wannstedt was a horrible coach with the Bears and the only reason he's won 10 games a year with the Dolphins is because he has better talent here to work with than with the Bears. We have enough overall talent for any coach to coast through the season and win games, we need someone who adds that extra something coaching-wise to take this team to the next level. With Wannstedt we're just sitting in neutral. Give someone else a shot!

In my opinion, the core of our veterans will be around for about another two years before they are past their prime or gone via free agency. I find it kind of ironic that Wanny has that same time-table with his contract now. Wayne H. still believes his team is close, and I'm with him on that. Bringing in a GM will get this teams priorities in order, instead of letting a defensive-minded head coach make the personnel decisions. So I give Wayne H. credit for taking that power away from Wanny. He was a little slow in doing it, but better late than never.

Bringing in a GM doesn't make an immediate impact on a team, I know that. It's a long term plan that will provide balance to this team offensively, defensively and most importantly financially. Wayne H. is making an investment in this team's future post-Wanny. Randy Mueller is a very good GM who drafted a lot of talent in New Orleans (especially on the offensive and defensive lines), so if we do end up hiring him, I think it will help this team out a great deal in the long run.

Now, who would you like to give a chance to be the head coach of the Dolphins? Like I mentioned in my intial post on this thread, there is no one out there who could make an immediate impact while our veterans are still here. When you change a head coach, it trickles down to assistant coaches being changed as well, offensive and defensive playbooks, terminology, etc. etc. etc. It will take about two years before the team is running all cylinders with a new system, by that time we missed our window.

One thing I am for, is changing some of our assistant coaches. Assistant coaches are responsible for certain posistions on a team. They are the ones who are responsible for getting these players prepared come game day. They are the ones who are in direct one-on-one with the players that they are coaching. This is where I believe Wanny's biggest fault exist. He needs to find the assistant coaches who can fire this team up.

Bringing in someone new as a head coach right now is too premature, until we can shed some light on the status of available coaches over the next two years. After two years, when we start to lose our veterans and the team starts to go through a youth movement, than I'm for bringing in someone new and giving them a chance to mold our younger players. But right now, until I can find a list that I've been searching for, I got to agree with Wayne Huizengha's decision.

Once again, I want to know the status of all NFL coaches contracts after next season (2004). I haven't had any luck in finding a list. I may be giving Wayne H. too much credit, but I think he's playing "chess". He's thinking six moves ahead, rather than one move, like mostly everyone on this board is doing. The man is not dumb. He didn't become a billionaire on his "good looks" :lol:

Sorry guys, mostly everyone on this board is looking for a coach who can immediately take this team to the promise land, there isn't one available. Not this year.

Back
Top Bottom