We are desperate for a back | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are desperate for a back

knowing bill belichecks way, if Noah shows anything solid this year, we trade Xavien for a 1st or 2nd. Free up 14 million dollars + get a good pick.

I am not sure I get it about Noah - why are dolphin fans questioning this move.

he had to cover Arguably three of the best receivers in the league - for ungodly amounts of time -all over the field -

Noah is great - he’s a freakin beast - he’s 20 years old - youngest player in the league - and in his 3rd year at the position...

mid he pans out - and he will you get terrific value with drafting elite corners...

Miami is not even starting their franchise qb yet - bubble wrapped Tua -

we’re gonna be fine at rb- use a 3rd rounder on a guy - pay another in free agency - keep Breida and gaskin...

We have a sub-set of posters who demand instant gratification and love to trash talk... I consider them to be closet Jets fans.

We have a sub-set of posters who demand instant gratification and love to trash talk... I consider them to be closet Jets fans.

I love when simpleton stuff like that is thrown around.

And I'll play. I like the New York Jets. They were my second favorite team for decades, although not right now. Situational influence is everything. The City of Miami was in love with the New York Jets after that legendary victory over the Colts in Super Bowl III. There were celebrations in the Miami streets that night. People standing with bedsheets celebrating the Jets and drivers honking horns. That's how much the win meant to AFL cities everywhere, like our fanhood and belief was fully validated. Those celebrations were a mini version of what greeted the Dolphins a few years later.

Heck, my teacher Mrs. Lucas opened class the next day with a tribute to the Jets. The entire class applauded, even little girls who didn't know anything about football. Mrs. Lucas was Jewish. Maybe she was from New York. I have no idea. But I'll always be able to envision her beaming smile and bouncy attitude all day and week after the Jets won the title. Then during PE class everyone wanted to be Joe Namath or Don Maynard or Matt Snell. This went on for years. I remember when Al Woodall replaced an injured Namath and all of a sudden everyone in elementary school wanted to know everything about Al Woodall, and how well the Jets would fare during his absence.

I'm sorry if this real-world intrusion isn't what the frothing types around here want to know. The Baltimore Colts were the hated rival of the Dolphins in those early merger years, and it wasn't remotely close. The Colts were from the tyrant NFL. It still felt like a massive class edge that we had to steadily chip away. Obviously there was added tension from Colts fans because we stole their young head coach. But then they won the Super Bowl in 1970 so you can just imagine the kidding from Baltimore fans...keep your choking loser coach, we're just fine with Don McCafferty.

And the Colts remained the principal rival through the '70s and particularly during the mid to late '70s, during the Bert Jones era. Those few years were the single most maddening seasons as a Dolphin fan. Miami was very good but not championship level. The Colts were very good and also very lucky. Consequently there was animosity and hatred toward the Colts that is unmatched toward any team in any subsequent era. Dolphin fans were absolutely paranoid about the Colts, given their arrogance and all the young stars like Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr and the Sack Pack defense. It looked like Bert Jones would be the dominant player in the league for a full decade, and always a thorn in the Dolphins' side.

I have no idea where this Jets obsession came from. That's what I am saying. I still find it more than amusing. I went away to college in Los Angeles, then lived decades in Las Vegas, and sometime during those years apparently I was supposed to develop a hatred toward the New York Jets. Oh sure. Anything you want. It was hysterical when I joined this site and posters were trying to poke at me for liking the Jets. I had all the backdrop as listed above, all the memories. Yet somehow I'm supposed to set that aside due to desperate antagonism from some user names on a message board. It is still priceless.

As always...it takes two to be embarrassed. I'm not one of them. Congratulations on your frailty.

I love when simpleton stuff like that is thrown around.

And I'll play. I like the New York Jets. They were my second favorite team for decades, although not right now. Situational influence is everything. The City of Miami was in love with the New York Jets after that legendary victory over the Colts in Super Bowl III. There were celebrations in the Miami streets that night. People standing with bedsheets celebrating the Jets and drivers honking horns. That's how much the win meant to AFL cities everywhere, like our fanhood and belief was fully validated. Those celebrations were a mini version of what greeted the Dolphins a few years later.

Heck, my teacher Mrs. Lucas opened class the next day with a tribute to the Jets. The entire class applauded, even little girls who didn't know anything about football. Mrs. Lucas was Jewish. Maybe she was from New York. I have no idea. But I'll always be able to envision her beaming smile and bouncy attitude all day and week after the Jets won the title. Then during PE class everyone wanted to be Joe Namath or Don Maynard or Matt Snell. This went on for years. I remember when Al Woodall replaced an injured Namath and all of a sudden everyone in elementary school wanted to know everything about Al Woodall, and how well the Jets would fare during his absence.

I'm sorry if this real-world intrusion isn't what the frothing types around here want to know. The Baltimore Colts were the hated rival of the Dolphins in those early merger years, and it wasn't remotely close. The Colts were from the tyrant NFL. It still felt like a massive class edge that we had to steadily chip away. Obviously there was added tension from Colts fans because we stole their young head coach. But then they won the Super Bowl in 1970 so you can just imagine the kidding from Baltimore fans...keep your choking loser coach, we're just fine with Don McCafferty.

And the Colts remained the principal rival through the '70s and particularly during the mid to late '70s, during the Bert Jones era. Those few years were the single most maddening seasons as a Dolphin fan. Miami was very good but not championship level. The Colts were very good and also very lucky. Consequently there was animosity and hatred toward the Colts that is unmatched toward any team in any subsequent era. Dolphin fans were absolutely paranoid about the Colts, given their arrogance and all the young stars like Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr and the Sack Pack defense. It looked like Bert Jones would be the dominant player in the league for a full decade, and always a thorn in the Dolphins' side.

I have no idea where this Jets obsession came from. That's what I am saying. I still find it more than amusing. I went away to college in Los Angeles, then lived decades in Las Vegas, and sometime during those years apparently I was supposed to develop a hatred toward the New York Jets. Oh sure. Anything you want. It was hysterical when I joined this site and posters were trying to poke at me for liking the Jets. I had all the backdrop as listed above, all the memories. Yet somehow I'm supposed to set that aside due to desperate antagonism from some user names on a message board. It is still priceless.

As always...it takes two to be embarrassed. I'm not one of them. Congratulations on your frailty.

ROFL...

The Jets fans are the dumbest people I've ever been around... well, except for Raiders fans. ...and those of us who have been around for a few decades have encountered them at on-line boards like this, years before this one even existed. At the old Herald Board, there used to be this one drooling idiot who called himself Ray Ray. He couldn't spell, constantly hit us with malaprops like 'for intensive purposes' (as opposed to for all intents and purposes) and whenever the Jets lost a big game, he would disappear for a few weeks. We'd laugh at him when he came back while he'd claim that "No, I wasn't hiding, I was on vacation..." Oh God this guy was a tool. ...and there were a bunch of this guy. Just dumb as a rock.

In that era, we were happy when the Patriots won that first Super Bowl, they had sucked for so long and the Patriots fans who came to those boards were respectful, intelligent... and could spell.

Why do we hate Jets fans? Because they were rude and stupid.

Mind you, during that time CKP was a punching bag... The entire board just lit him up on a regular basis. So... things do change... just not Jester Clowns. J-E-T-S- suck suck suck.

Clearly Miami is regretting passing up on backs late in round 1 and round 2. They threw it at Bell and he said no. At least we know. We know that if we cant make a trade this season, that’s a priority next year via draft or free agency. Has anyone heard of any potential trades? I admire Mia for trying and seeing the vision on a two year deal , with Tua on the backend of the deal. I also admire that Miami feels (left up to debate) that they need a piece to elevate their
Offense and how strategically (intermediate) they think they are close. Could Miami be in position for AJ Green?
Do we know for sure they made an offer on Bell, or or is this just media rumors?

The only glimmer of excitement in Atlanta is Gurley/Ridley. Not even julio. I doubt the falcons give up Gurley although Atlanta fans want a fire sale.
Why wouldn't they give up on Hurley? They are 0-5. Gurley is not going to be part of a their building process. No RB is part of a building process. Just ask the Giants.

Draft a stub RB when you're team is a possible playoff contender. Considering that RBs have a 4-6 year lifespan, if we draft one too early, they may waster their best years during a rebuild. See Saquan Barkely.

Our staff knows what they're doing.

Gaskins already has more yards than our leading rusher last year through 5 games. They are averaging 32 more rushing yards a game than last year and are nearly halfway to last years total at this point in the season.

The O-line is young and inexperienced. And while they did well last week they are missing their starting LT. Gotta keep things in perspective the boost from year 1-2 in development has been crazy. Would a stud back be nice...of course.....is it really needed in the NFL today. No not really. Guys like Gaskins are the game now, 60 plus yards a game on the ground handful of catches and good protection blocking.

Biggest thing for me is Miami doesnt seem to struggle in short yardage like years past. Runners are decisive and with Bowden running wildcat its hard to stop miami converting 3rd/4th and short.

I dont think with the way the team is at the moment a "stud" back would go for 120 a game. They have a way they want to run things and it will continue to be that way. Look for 2/3 to do the lifting not one.

Gaskin is averaging 3.9 yards a carry and has been a pleasant surprise this year.

Gaskin is not the issue, we need a better power back for short yardage and to take the air out of the ball in power running situations.

Watching Tennessee melt the clock against Buffalo in the 4th was impressive; this isn't to say we need a cyborg like Henry to get that done.

Why wouldn't they give up on Hurley? They are 0-5. Gurley is not going to be part of a their building process. No RB is part of a building process. Just ask the Giants.
Atlanta knows that. Again..the fans want a fire sale. It'll depend on Arthur Blank deciding to throw in the towel. Something they've not recognized a year and a half ago.

Back
Top Bottom