We are desperate for a back | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are desperate for a back

Boys I am a huge fins fan up in ravens country. I would trade for any of their backs including justice .
I think the Ravens are a perfect example of a great offensive line making any RB look great. Including Jackson ;-)

That's a great question. How did our scouts get fooled into thinking he could still deliver while we see no burst from him on the field and he can't even make the gameday roster only a month into the season? Maybe Grier knew he was gambling a bit but this pick up was obviously a complete flop.
$5 mil per year is a lot for a RB on the decline. I don’t think we were going to offer Drake that much and we didn’t offer what’s his name that went to the Texans that much either (granted the market is different now). I just don’t get it.

The OL is NEVER complete. We could use a future stud center and there is one that could be a strong target for us in the teens.
100% agree with this. Obviously there's a lot of football to be played before the draft and things may look a lot different then but I am a firm believer that at least one of our first rounders needs to be O line, probably center.
Get familiar with the names Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis), Journey Brown (Penn State) and Kylie Hill (Miss st). Gainwell opted out of the season after a few of his relatives died of COVID and his already established talent as a 3rd/4th rounder. These are the kinds of backs I believe we will be looking at and if for no other reason than if you hit on them, they won’t be as hard to re-sign.
If a 3rd or 4th round RB truly "hits" wouldn't they be even more likely to want to renegotiate for the 2nd contract because they would be earning less than a 1st or 2nd round pick? When it comes to re-signing them, it's on the strength of their NFL performance and their draft position isn't really relevant is it?

I think Ford is pretty clutch. Great depth guy, you hold on to him. Hes not the fastest or most elusive, great hands, and great route running. Hes been moving the chains for us on some really important 3rd downs. Grant is a liability on returns, and hes so undersized. The return game was the only thing he was really good at, and now he keeps dropping stuff. He tries for the big play too much. After Ford is where you make your cuts. DVP, Williams, Ford,.. other 3 slots should be up for grabs. Hoping Bowden can turn into something for us. I would not touch a RB in round 1 though. LB/DE .. Late first IOL/WR, really depends how the board plays out. I wouldnt go WR with 1A unless Parsons/Moses are gone. Teams like the Chiefs can grab a RB in round 1 because they are stacked all over.
I agree about Ford.

He is turning out to be a very good "posession" reciever. Runs good, and important from the QBs perspective, consistent routes.

Every team has a use for that type WR, unless you think you can field a handful of #1s.

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out, with Wilson in the mix next year. I doubt he is in any plans beyond that, but probably has a spot on next season's roster.

I agree about Ford.

He is turning out to be a very good "posession" reciever. Runs good, and important from the QBs perspective, consistent routes.

Every team has a use for that type WR, unless you think you can field a handful of #1s.

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out, with Wilson in the mix next year. I doubt he is in any plans beyond that, but probably has a spot on next season's roster.
In my opinion, Ford should be a lock next year. He is very clutch on third downs and as a taller receiver, he matches what DVP and Preston do in their games. To me, he seems like a direct back-up kind of player. The ones we need to replace/improve upon are our smaller quicker receivers. Unless Wilson returns, or one of the rookies start to flash at the end of the season, they can all go.

You are absolutely right we should have fixed every position at the the draft and free agency this FO what a bunch of morons
Really we did other than our kickers we churned every position.
2 fa linebackers and our cut rookie weaver.
Defensive line 2 fa and 2 rookies
Oline 2 fa 3 rookies
TE trade for FA from Chicago
2 WR rookie slot receivers / wildcat
Rookie QB
CB 1 FA 1 rookie
Safety 1 rookie plus 2 FA
DL 1 rookie DT and 1 rookie DE 2 3 FA
1 rookie snapper
Churned most of our staff to amazing we are playing this well.

Oops we traded for Brieda during the draft and of course the under performing Howard.

I see your point but it has to be be evaluated in a vacume, on a individual basis..For example Maccafrey.. he was a high pick and a great pick..Is it the norm no but you can’t ever rule it out or you could miss out on a great player..

The post you quoted literally has the answer to what you're saying. McCaffrey seems like a great player, maybe the best RB in the league, and yet he's injured and they're not missing him much, if at all.

The post you quoted literally has the answer to what you're saying. McCaffrey seems like a great player, maybe the best RB in the league, and yet he's injured and they're not missing him much, if at all.
I know I did but I wanted to reiterate him because you mentioned it and neither of us can sit here and say he isn't worth it, they're not in the playoffs competing for championships at this point..always like Mike Davis especially coming out.

evaluating draft picks is not easy, there's risk everywhere, if you hit on an all pro player then it really doesn't matter where you got him, or what position he plays, fact is you hit big on the draft pick.

We may never get an honest answer to this question but I will always wonder if we would have selected JK Dobbins with pick 56 if he was still on the board. I live in Ohio and watched him a lot during his Ohio State career, I was crushed when he went with the pick right before ours. Although in the time since the draft I have been convinced it probably wasn't the right move to go after an RB that early in our rebuild process.

We supposedly need a back but at the same time we're choosing to give a guy with pedestrian physical ability the lions share of the touches over two formerly successful NFL running backs. I get it, Gaskin does the little things well, but if you're willing to part with that for guys not on the roster, like middling performers with superstar egos who were CUT by bad teams, then why aren't you willing to give guys already on the roster a shot?

I know I did but I wanted to reiterate him because you mentioned it and neither of us can sit here and say he isn't worth it, they're not in the playoffs competing for championships at this point..always like Mike Davis especially coming out.

evaluating draft picks is not easy, there's risk everywhere, if you hit on an all pro player then it really doesn't matter where you got him, or what position he plays, fact is you hit big on the draft pick.

I get where you're coming from, you like Mike Davis so you figure the Panthers were lucky he was there when they needed him. But the same thing that happened with the Panthers happened with a lot of other superstar RBs before. In no particular order, when Gurley went down for the Rams, CJ Anderson came off the street to do a great job for them, and this year they have a different trio doing pretty well. When Laveon Bell left Pitt, James Conner took over with very little drop off, and when Conner went down, they had another guy step in and do a good job. When Kareem Hunt was destroying the league and he was released, Damien Williams, of all people, filled in like a rockstar. Melvin Gordon appeared to be a rising star in SD, but after all was said and done, Eckeler is doing just as well for a fraction of the salary. Even in Dallas they have a guy that seems to do pretty well when Zeke is not around. Not at the same level, but per dollar? Way above Elliot. Barkley, I imagine, might be the exception. I don't know how it's going there for the replacement.

That's why I disagree with you, I don't think these stars -and they are stars- are worth the money because whenever they get hurt or leave they so often seem so easy to replace.

I get where you're coming from, you like Mike Davis so you figure the Panthers were lucky he was there when they needed him. But the same thing that happened with the Panthers happened with a lot of other superstar RBs before. In no particular order, when Gurley went down for the Rams, CJ Anderson came off the street to do a great job for them, and this year they have a different trio doing pretty well. When Laveon Bell left Pitt, James Conner took over with very little drop off, and when Conner went down, they had another guy step in and do a good job. When Kareem Hunt was destroying the league and he was released, Damien Williams, of all people, filled in like a rockstar. Melvin Gordon appeared to be a rising star in SD, but after all was said and done, Eckeler is doing just as well for a fraction of the salary. Even in Dallas they have a guy that seems to do pretty well when Zeke is not around. Not at the same level, but per dollar? Way above Elliot. Barkley, I imagine, might be the exception. I don't know how it's going there for the replacement.

That's why I disagree with you, I don't think these stars -and they are stars- are worth the money because whenever they get hurt or leave they so often seem so easy to replace.
I think those are all valid points, and I think the debate and who is right is in question..

I wouldn't say we are desperate at RB. Could we use more help? Sure. Would a new drafted RB, Gaskin, and Breida be successful most definitely. Don't want to take anything away from Gaskin's efforts this year. :ffic:

Back
Top Bottom