We found our #2 CB in Needham & Wiltz/Webster dont look to shabby | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We found our #2 CB in Needham & Wiltz/Webster dont look to shabby

These guys are fighting hard out there. They are playing well with ZERO pass rush, that's impressive.

That's what most impressive to me. It's insane trying to cover when a QB has virtually the entire day to throw.

There are snaps where Needham is required to go one-on-one with a receiver. I am not sure if that is by design or dictated by the offense. One of them required him to breakup a pass which would converted 3rd down by under cutting the route and knocking down the pass. It is easy to see why the coaching staff have confidence in the young man.

Back in the day, we had 12 round (and even higher before that) round draft. There were starting corners drafted in the 12th round like Larry Brown from the Cowboys and our own JB Brown. Maybe Needham becomes an unheralded starter like those guys. You have to say the kid has moxie, toughness, and good hips to stay tight on you.

These guys have impressed given their atrocious start but I think the bar is pretty low. Needham would be good for depth but I wouldn't be comfortable having him penciled in as a #2 corner. Wiltz and Webster have shown improvement, that's pretty much it really. Fair play to them but I'm not getting over excited.

I disagree, what he is saying about Needham is not fan overreaction, or seeing players through aqua colored glasses.

I have been watching Needham, and he has been playing more then worthy to take that 2nd corner position, in fact he has been doing an excellent job.

I do agree though, we should try and get another premium corner, considering how important the secondary is to our defense, then allow him to compete with Needham, but I have been very impressed how good he has been.

There are some really good man to man plays out there. It’s breaking down because there is no pass rush and QBs can make pinpoint passes 5-7 seconds after the snap.

I would love to see this same group with a pass rush

Every time this team wins a game people think we have all the right players but the fact is we really need to add some talent. We're seeing some young players develop that have a chance to be a part of this team moving forward but there's a lot of work to be done. I expect around 20 new players in 2020

Never said we dont need to add players...would like a new pass rusher opposite of Taco....new running back....new guards......new safety....new speedy WR....new center......new LT...new QB.....

There are some really good man to man plays out there. It’s breaking down because there is no pass rush and QBs can make pinpoint passes 5-7 seconds after the snap.

I would love to see this same group with a pass rush
We are also playing more man coverage, than in previous years.

I like it. Maybe it is out of necessity, but man coverage/bump and run is the way to beay some of the short pass, YAC offensive designs that are common today.

Of course if you aren't proficient at it, you will get torched.

Needham is a #4 and Wiltz is a #5. Toss Lammons, Lewis and Webster for #6. We need a #2 and a slot.

We need AT LEAST THREE new DBs. A vet FA, a second day pick and a third day pick.

Needham is a #4 and Wiltz is a #5. Toss Lammons, Lewis and Webster for #6. We need a #2 and a slot.

We need AT LEAST THREE new DBs. A vet FA, a second day pick and a third day pick.

I agree they need to bring in 2-3 DB's. If Howard and Tankersly are healthy then there are 2 and one is a top 10 CB in the league. They need a FS and move McCain back to the slot. From what I have seen from Needham he is a #2/3 CB. He's playing #1 right now and doing a pretty good job with no pass rush to help him.

I agree they need to bring in 2-3 DB's. If Howard and Tankersly are healthy then there are 2 and one is a top 10 CB in the league. They need a FS and move McCain back to the slot. From what I have seen from Needham he is a #2/3 CB. He's playing #1 right now and doing a pretty good job with no pass rush to help him.
Why would you think Tankersly is anything other than a long shot at this point?

This is what, his 4th year?

He's played about 4 halfs of competent, but unspectacular, football.

dude, if Laird is our number 2 next year we had a bad offseason
He’s a 3 at best. And I’m a fan of his
If we're able to secure a bell-cow type back who will take 85% of the load then I have no problem having Laird as our Burkhead/White type player who can break a tackle when needed and has solid hands out of the backfield.

On topic: Needham is working out nicely, but unless we have 2 X's as our boundary then there is always room for an upgrade. I do like how he's developed into the season though.

If we're able to secure a bell-cow type back who will take 85% of the load then I have no problem having Laird as our Burkhead/White type player who can break a tackle when needed and has solid hands out of the backfield.
I doubt you will see any back take 85% of the load in this offense. If the Patriot example is reality, RBs are plug in type guys, who get their snaps on the basis of the game plan for specific opponents.

I'm not saying you don't need a true #1 back, just that I don't see any back carrying 85% of the load.

Impressive, but I'd like to sign a proven veteran starter. Think I'd be more comfortable with Needham as the nickel, and Wiltz/Webster as depth guys.

What I do want to do is avoid drafting a corner. If we head into the draft needing a starter it will likely require a first round pick. I'd rather not. Okudah is the only guy I really like as a plug and play, and no way in hell I'm spending a top 5 pick on a CB with Fitz/Rosen our current QBs.

Needham has shown he can be a solid corner he has good footwork and has the size and knows the scheme well.

Wiltz has been a solid slot CB after he got destroyed in week 1.

Webster can be a decent dime corner as well for depth.

Ask yourself this. Which NFL would any of these players be starters? Waiting. Love Needham, especially as an UFA, do think he will make the 2020 team, but he’s still very raw.

Never said we dont need to add players...would like a new pass rusher opposite of Taco....new running back....new guards......new safety....new speedy WR....new center......new LT...new QB.....
Opposite Taco?

We need at least two pass rushers (and both need to be able to start), and Taco can come off the bench and spell them.

Taco is not starting caliber.

Back
Top Bottom