We Got It Right (didn’t We?) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Got It Right (didn’t We?)

I wanted Edmunds there but never realistically thought Minkah would make it too our pick. The Dolphins did the right thing on draft night:)

Baker Mayfield plays for Cleveland. We still have to read about him? From people who registered yesterday? Enough. Enough. He's not a Dolphin and won't be.

The draft couldn't have gone any better for us. Miami badly needed a guy to step in and play free safety -- the TJ McDonald experiment was a failure -- and a premium playmaker fell right into our laps at that very position. And we're somehow upset about this? We just got a top talent at an important position of need and people are upset that we didn't wind up with the guy who went #1 overall. Unbelievable. I'm going to lose my ****.

I just don't get it. This team is in a division where two teams essentially traded up on draft day and got qb's, with 4 teams overall do that. What does that make on trade ups the last few seasons? Miami is in danger of again trying to compete with a lesser qb in a division with better ones. And what irks me the most is you draft a FS, a season after you sign one. Now you have to hope he can play LB. Only in Miami

With Tannehill and Brock Osweiler on the roster you should've made the assumption that we weren't picking up a QB in round one. Those other teams who traded up are in desperate need for a QB and we aren't. Arguably, our backup QB is more serviceable then their young QB's based solely on experience.

Fitz is a can't miss pick! The kid has played Slot Corner, Nickel Corner, and the safety position. He's going to be the most versatile player in our secondary and I see him playing a ton. Keep in mind that outside of Howard, Jones, and McCain no one else can be relied on at this point. He's a future pro bowl player and keep in mind he's in a elite group of defenders (Woodson and Patrick Peterson) who have won top defensive player and the top corner award. Kid's a stud! Can cover man vs man, cover zone, blitz, tackle, from every position in the secondary. I'm glad we didn't take the risk of drafting a QB this early. There is later in the draft and there's next year also. Tanne and Brock will be fine for this upcoming year.

I just don't get it. This team is in a division where two teams essentially traded up on draft day and got qb's, with 4 teams overall do that. What does that make on trade ups the last few seasons? Miami is in danger of again trying to compete with a lesser qb in a division with better ones. And what irks me the most is you draft a FS, a season after you sign one. Now you have to hope he can play LB. Only in Miami

I don't believe that Matt Burke ever intended to use TJ McDonald as a FS. I think he had to out of necessity. Also, if you're going to try to convince me that Josh Allen of Sam Darnold are going to be better than Tannehill in 2018, you're going to need a lot of bourbon. And mid-80s Sheena Easton.

With Tannehill and Brock Osweiler on the roster you should've made the assumption that we weren't picking up a QB in round one. Those other teams who traded up are in desperate need for a QB and we aren't. Arguably, our backup QB is more serviceable then their young QB's based solely on experience.

Fitz is a can't miss pick! The kid has played Slot Corner, Nickel Corner, and the safety position. He's going to be the most versatile player in our secondary and I see him playing a ton. Keep in mind that outside of Howard, Jones, and McCain no one else can be relied on at this point. He's a future pro bowl player and keep in mind he's in a elite group of defenders (Woodson and Patrick Peterson) who have won top defensive player and the top corner award. Kid's a stud! Can cover man vs man, cover zone, blitz, tackle, from every position in the secondary. I'm glad we didn't take the risk of drafting a QB this early. There is later in the draft and there's next year also. Tanne and Brock will be fine for this upcoming year.
He signed up yesterday to pimp Baker who went #1. No point in discussing or explaining this to him.

I suspected once we signed Brock, we would not be too easily moved to draft a QB. I do suspect if Rosen fell to us, the room may have had a different take on the QB position and I think Arizona helped us make the right call.

Baker Mayfield plays for Cleveland. We still have to read about him? From people who registered yesterday? Enough. Enough. He's not a Dolphin and won't be.

The draft couldn't have gone any better for us. Miami badly needed a guy to step in and play free safety -- the TJ McDonald experiment was a failure -- and a premium playmaker fell right into our laps at that very position. And we're somehow upset about this? We just got a top talent at an important position of need and people are upset that we didn't wind up with the guy who went #1 overall. Unbelievable. I'm going to lose my ****.

I know I said this elsewhere, but if Minkah turns into our Ed Reed, this will end up being a franchise-defining pick. I also wanted Mayfield, but he went number 1 overall. There’s no way he was ever a realistic option. Instead, we may have just gotten a generational safety. There’s no way this can be seen as a bad pick.

Look at it this way. Odds are 1 of those 2 QBs drafted yesterday will be a bust. Brady is 41 and won’t be playing much longer. The Fins have a QB coming into his prime and are investing pics and assets to build a championship D.

So while the young QBs are figuring their crap out and Brady is retiring (probably gronk too) the Fins will be on an upward trajectory.

Getting Minkah to pair with Jones, X, and Tank for the next few years at a really cheap unit cost is a smart move

yes we got it right and then some. Elite talent for once. Totally happy with it

Definitely got it right . Edmunds will be good, but Fitzpatrick is a better player. That he started as a freshman at Alabama says a lot. For me it was him or James. Love the pick.

Yes, be happy we did something right.

He will be the smartest player on the defense, we will have players lined up right. He is the new Zach Thomas of the defense, yes he plays FS, but he will watch the hell out of the film and know the other team as well as they know themselves. We have needed a guy like this for a long ****ing time.

Typically you need to give a player time to acclimate to the NFL, but this guy started on one of the top defense as a true freshman...he will have an impact year one for this team.

I know I said this elsewhere, but if Minkah turns into our Ed Reed, this will end up being a franchise-defining pick. I also wanted Mayfield, but he went number 1 overall. There’s no way he was ever a realistic option. Instead, we may have just gotten a generational safety. There’s no way this can be seen as a bad pick.

Yup. Baker Mayfield went first overall to a team that refused to trade that pick. He was never going to be a Miami Dolphin, period.

I'm just so perplexed by people who don't like this pick. It's one thing for some of our great draft analysts like j-off, who aren't thrilled about the pick, to say "Hey, it's not a bad pick, just not what I would have done," and another thing for a guy to come on here shredding the pick because it wasn't the QB who went first overall. One of these takes is reasonable and grounded in factual analysis, and the other take makes me want to reach through the computer screen and slap somebody.

Remember the last time our defense looked competent, or even good? We had a quality starting free safety in Louis Delmas. I don't know about you, but I feel Minkah Fitzpatrick has the talent and the intangibles to be a better safety than Louis Delmas. I think the upside here is tremendous for the Dolphins long-term.

I kinda' wanted Roquan at the end but I'm happy about it. If it was any other draft, Minkah would be going top 10.

Back
Top Bottom