We have to start drafting QBs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We have to start drafting QBs

idaho said:
I am not a draft expert but why wait until the 6th round to pu a qb? Why not try and move up and pickup a Quinn or Smith quality qb. I am thinking the odds of busting on an ol pick are just as good as busting on a qb? I mean the last time we took a 1st round qb it worked out for us.

We are not i9n need of a QB. We need a o-line at this point. Well we have Vernon, Shelton, and Fonoti(could be decent,) so we only need around 2-3 o-line players, and that takes up a bunch of the draft if they don't use free agency.(They as in the coaches)

Drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 would be a nice. I like Brohm.

No way does this team draft a kicker with all other positions needing attention and only 6 draft picks. You can easily pick up a proven kicker through FA or work out a rookie undrafted FA since most of these "good kickers" deserving to get drafted won't.

Free Agents that I think we will/should pursue on the defensive side:
A) Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas, or Kawika Mitchell
B) Michael Lewis, Nate Clements, or Asante Samuel

IMO, Miami will sign 1 of these players. Whether it be a LB or a DB, that will dictate whether they draft a DB or LB in the first round, UNLESS we have a shot at drafting one of the top tier OL in this draft.

Either way, I would like to get a LB, DB, QB, 2 OL, and either WR/RB/LB/DL from this draft.

IluvJuMiami said:
The round doesn't matter. I think its imperative we begin to draft QBs in every draft. I haven't heard much about it anymore. Seems like after we fell out of the Brady Quinn/Troy Smith sweepstakes the chatter stopped. It's crucial to have constant competition, especially fresh, young competition at the most integral position on a team year in and year out. And this has no bearing on JH or DC. Even if drafted in the first round the youngster could sit behind the pair, although I wouldn't be in favor of wasting a 1st round pick on a 3rd string QB.
as long as you dont draft a qb above the 5th round i see no prob with that!

I think we should draft a QB in round 2. I don't think this team is THAT far away

I think competition at the cb position should be a focus this season, yeah Our D, is top notch, but with out our front pressure our db's would really be in the shadows. We have db's but not as a unit.

if a guy like Kevin Kolb is available in the 3rd round, I have no objection to taking him.

Kolb IMO could be the best QB in this draft class. Has all the physical tools you could ask in a QB, and has a very high IQ for the game. Had it not been for the fact that The Houston coach was Kolb's High School coach, K2 would have gone to the U.

How can people say QB is not a priority? DC is no garuntee for any sort of success-he could just as easily be cut as be reborn a probowler (easier in fact) and I dont see Joey as a long term starter. Sorry, our QB is not in any kind of good shape-we need to address it in a big way. If we are in position to take Smith or Brohm we have to, even if it means jumping up a few spots like denver did in the '06 draft for Cutler.

If not, we have to jump at a guy like Stanton or Kolb in a round 2-3-4. Everything else is good and all, but QB IS the general and leader of the team. We need a bigtime young playmaker in there, then go from there, not just keep plugging in random people and hoping for the best.

We all know (or should know) that Saban will not get himself into the "draft for need" corner.

It's all about B.P.A. and I applaud that with all my heart. Why reach for someone when premium talent is on the board?

The Dolphins are not loaded at any position. In fact, the only position(s) I could see us totally ignoring in the 1st round are running back and safety.

The only way Saban picks for need is if he has to equally rated players at different positions.

Yes, we need O-line (left tackle, guard, maybe center), a speed reciever and a back up runner (depending on Ricky). That being said I still think we'll go heavy on defense again, perhaps 2 of our 3 day one picks, at least I hope we do. We need to continue to get younger on defense. We need a playmaking outside linebacker, a nose tackle and a high end cover corner. Youth, playmaking, size and speed are needed on defense.

Drafting a young Q.B. will be down the list. We have Daunte, Joey and Cleo. The only way I see us drafting a Q.B. is if we flip Harrington for a pick. Daunte, when healthy is our starter and Harrington COULD have some value if we feel secure in Daunte's health. If that happens we'll need a guy we can park behind Lemon and Daunte.

unifiedtheory said:
Drafting a young Q.B. will be down the list. We have Daunte, Joey and Cleo. The only way I see us drafting a Q.B. is if we flip Harrington for a pick. Daunte, when healthy is our starter and Harrington COULD have some value if we feel secure in Daunte's health. If that happens we'll need a guy we can park behind Lemon and Daunte.

Heh this amuses me. We have a QB who is coming off a major injury and has issues reading defenses and making good decisions, that we really have no idea if he can return to form or not-a guy who is at best game manager with questionable skills and (again) decision making-and a guy who has never started a game despite playing for the Miami Dolphins.

What part of this makes you feel secure at QB, ESPECIALLY if a franchise guy like Brohm or Smith is sitting there for us? You dont pass a franchise QB for what we have-unknowns and backups. Get yourself a playmaker and general to lead your team.

Even if Daunte Culpepper is 100% healthy does not mean he is ready for the game. I would draft a quarterback as well in the 2nd round.

We will fill some of our needs through free agency; got a lot of money on the cap and we can afford to get players at the right price to fill those holes like an Eric Steinbach and an Asante Samuel.

Vertical Limit said:
Even if Daunte Culpepper is 100% healthy does not mean he is ready for the game. I would draft a quarterback as well in the 2nd round.

We will fill some of our needs through free agency; got a lot of money on the cap and we can afford to get players at the right price to fill those holes like an Eric Steinbach and an Asante Samuel.

Once again Vert and I agree

unifiedtheory said:
Daunte, when healthy is our starter and Harrington COULD have some value if we feel secure in Daunte's health.
It's funny to hear you keep repeating this like it's some kind of positive groupthink affirmation, like Quarterbacks Anonymous. You do know that your circle of believers is shrinking, right? I can only hope that Nick Saban is smart enough at this point to no longer be among them.

Tailgun said:
It's funny to hear you keep repeating this like it's some kind of positive groupthink affirmation, like Quarterbacks Anonymous. You do know that your circle of believers is shrinking, right? I can only hope that Nick Saban is smart enough at this point to no longer be among them.

We'll see....

Back
Top Bottom