We need Derrick Johnson!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need Derrick Johnson!!!!

NorthFloridaFin

Bring on the Ted Ginn Era
Reaction score
It seems everyone thinks we should go offense in the 1st rd. I tend to disagree, being that there is several offense players we can pick up in the later rounds, preferably a RB. Our LB situation is one we need to upgrade or we will have some problems down the road. Junior Seau is getting older and slower every year, Eddie Moore can't stay healthy, we've already lost Morlon Greenwood and Pope is probably a little too small to be a starter. Derrick Johnson is going to be a great player for many years, and there's not many LB's that stand out in the draft besides him. We need to get him in the worst way in my opinion.
Comments::up:

While I like DJ, not at #2. Plus, we don't need any one player. We need 53 players to play cohesively and completely. We need players to pick up slack from other players when they can't handle it themselves, and be reliable when things are going well. We need good communication between every player on the field, and we need trust. Trust that the defense can hold onto a hold, or keep the score down, and trust that the offense can bring the team out of a hole. One defensive player(in this draft) will not drastically make our team that much better, but they could aid in it's development. However, considering the position DJ plays, as well as our depth(for this year at least), even though he should become a great player, he isn't the best fit for our team. The teams best bet is to draft offense with the #2 pick(assuming it can't be traded), then focus on getting the best player at whatever other picks we hae, whether that is offense or defense.

I didn't say, Derrick Johnson would turn our team around. I said, that is the position we need to upgrade the most.

So your solution to this draft is basically to use our first round pick for a player we need down the road and use a later round pick on a RB that we neeed to play now. DOesnt make sense to me. Shouldnt it be the other way around? ABout the players, I wouldnt say Eddie Moore can't stay health. He has only been hurt once and he had a solid year last year. You neglected to mention DOnnie Spragan, and you are underestimating Popes ability.

beejay05 said:
So your solution to this draft is basically to use our first round pick for a player we need down the road and use a later round pick on a RB that we neeed to play now. DOesnt make sense to me. Shouldnt it be the other way around? ABout the players, I wouldnt say Eddie Moore can't stay health. He has only been hurt once and he had a solid year last year. You neglected to mention DOnnie Spragan, and you are underestimating Popes ability.

I didn't say we need him down the road, I said we need him now. Eddie Moore has been on injured reserve both years he has been on the team. I'll give Spragan the benefit of the doubt because I haven't seen him play enough. But Junior Seau can't last more than a year and then we will be in LB limbo.

Derrick Johnson isn't worth the 2nd pick, he may not even be the top LB taken in the draft. I hate the idea of drafting him, if a defensive tackle was worthy of a top pick that I would consider that, but Rod Wright did not declare so a defensive player would dissapoint me. Derrick Johnson's stock is dropping IMO and could be the guy on draft day to fall farther than expected I.E. Drew Brees.

DJ is not worth a top 10 pick let alone the #2.

byroan said:
DJ is not worth a top 10 pick let alone the #2.

Thanks again byroan for finally bringing reality to this thread ;). LB,our most needed position to upgrade? Someone didn't watch too many fin games last season huh?

Your right, we do need to start upgrading on defense, but not with the number 2 pick. Later on and especially if we get more picks, then I say go for it.

As far as "needs" go....LB isn't the greatest and DJ isn't worth a #2. If we trade down he'd be a good pickup however.

NorthFloridaFin said:
It seems everyone thinks we should go offense in the 1st rd. I tend to disagree, being that there is several offense players we can pick up in the later rounds, preferably a RB. Our LB situation is one we need to upgrade or we will have some problems down the road. Junior Seau is getting older and slower every year, Eddie Moore can't stay healthy, we've already lost Morlon Greenwood and Pope is probably a little too small to be a starter. Derrick Johnson is going to be a great player for many years, and there's not many LB's that stand out in the draft besides him. We need to get him in the worst way in my opinion.
Comments::up:

How is Derrick Pope too small? He is basically the same height and weight as ZT. ZT has done great at MLB, why can't Pope. I don't think we should draft DJ because our LB corps will be ok for 2 years. Why not pick up a project in the 4th or 5th rounds this year and if they don't workout pick up a highly touted LB coming out of college in 06 when we might need it.

But at the moment we still have projects who could work out to be great LB's in Moore and Pope. For now ZT and Seau are good and ZT can at least play for another 3 years and Seau for at least 1 more. We also added Spragan and might pick someone up in the later rounds of the draft so I see no point in taking DJ even though he could be a big play LB.

Zach is also considered to be a small linebacker (one of the reasons he slipped to us) and one of the concerns of moving to a 3-4 defense. ZT wouldn't be able to be as efficient in other defensive systems. IMO he is excellent and a great fit for us...but would not be to many other teams.

WelcomeBack said:
Thanks again byroan for finally bringing reality to this thread ;). LB,our most needed position to upgrade? Someone didn't watch too many fin games last season huh?

Believe me, I don't miss a Dolphin game. It just seems people are so caught up in the offensive side of the game they forget how bad we need defense. We had one of the oldest defense's in the league last year. I didn't say anything about Zach Thomas, who is a MIDDLE LINEBACKER. I was proving a point that our OUTSIDE LINEBACKER'S are our weakness!!!!!!!!!!!

While I do think we could use an upgrade to the core Linebackers, I don't think this is the time.

D.J. makes some good hits and would help with our coverage but I don't think he wraps up the ball carrier well, and the NFL will have some heavy specimens coming straight at him. Personally, I prefer larger, bulkier linebackers who can stuff the gaps that linemen leave.

After watching us last year, I was just so frustrated with our lack of compound offense. I think we need to use this year to rebuild the balance of our offense. We need to solidify the line, concrete a strong run game and allow our QB (who ever it may be) time to set up, spot and deliver. So I think we need a Ronnie or an Aaron - the only real two players I see justifiable at number 2 apart from Braylon (although I don't know we NEED a WR).

Back
Top Bottom