We need Larry Warford! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need Larry Warford!

I'm not saying Warford is bad or wouldn't work here, but we have to stop assuming that either line is plug and play. You cannot not just drop a talented person into a line and boom, the line plays better.

Well, the line will be going through some growing pains regardless due to all the new additions and hopefully the rookies show some promise early on. So, while there's no guarantees on how he does here, I can't see his addition hurting the performance of the line unless he just doesn't give a f, but then we'll have a hungrier guy replace him.

I believe we now have just enough cap to have as emergency if we need to sign someone because of injury, or if next year the cap is not raised for all teams.

Don't get me wrong, better too have too much talent, then not enough, but right now we can't afford it.

OTC has this team with 20mil of cap space, with Tua and Jackson signed, tbd on Noah Igbinoghene numbers though. They could agree to a 1 year deal with Warford without ruining the emergency funds.

What's also hurting cap space is the 23mil in dead cap, but hey most of those players were dead weight anyways here.

Warford is cheaper and more valuable than Clowney imo. I'd sign Warford for 3 years at the minimum. Hes still got a few great years left in the tank. Add a probowl linemen to help transition Tua in and let the young guys develop a bit without being in the fire.
He is not going to sign for the minimum. He was an pro bowl player last season and was only cut by the Saints because they drafted a guard in the first round who is less expensive. I think he will likely get a contract for $7-9 million a year when he finally signs with another team.

I don’t see the Dolphins signing him because they are paying Flowers $10 million a year and they used 3 of their draft picks and signed Karras , along with Flowers to upgrade the OL.

Just look at the depth we have on the offensive line.... currently way too much of this seasons success depends on the play of rookie offensive linemen.

There is a probowl guard who's under 30 years old available. He instantly becomes our best lineman and can teach the rookies how to succeed in the NFL... we NEED LARRY WARFORD! We have the cap room, I hope Grier is looking into this.

100% please make this happen IMO

If he is truly that great why no interest? Interior OL is a problem league wide yet this dude remains available.

If he is truly that great why no interest? Interior OL is a problem league wide yet this dude remains available.
I think the teams not being able to have free agents visit might have something to do with him still being available. If a team is going to pay him the type of salary he likely wants, teams having an interest in him would want to ensure he has no injuries before they sign him.

I think once the NFL allows free agents to again meet with teams and the teams are able to perform physicals on free agents, Warford and several other remaining free agents will signed before training camp starts.

Last edited:
No reason to sign right now, plus covid.... look at all the quality players still on the market its wild

Absolutely NOT!

Let me explain why...
Flowers is starting at one Guard position. He signed a contract that guarantees he gets this spot. If he isn't good, we'll replace him in 2021. I expect him to be good.

At the other Guard position, we ALREADY have Dieter and Calhoun, two second year players that we thought well enough of to bring them back this year. Second year players who now understand what we want from them... and the speed/power of the NFL.

As if this wasn't enough, we've added Hunt and Kindley through this year's draft... plus Davis, if Hunt wins the RT job.

That is 5 potential Guards for one spot. C'mon guys... how many Guards does one team need? It would be different if we were expecting to compete for a Lombardi trophy this year, but we are at least 2 years away from that... and that's assuming Tua works out.

Stop chasing shiny objects... we aren't cats, and Warford isn't a laser... or young either.

No... just no.

They cut him for a reason and the market is soft for him. Intriguing yes but it’s not a slam dunk

Absolutely NOT!

Let me explain why...
Flowers is starting at one Guard position. He signed a contract that guarantees he gets this spot. If he isn't good, we'll replace him in 2021. I expect him to be good.

At the other Guard position, we ALREADY have Dieter and Calhoun, two second year players that we thought well enough of to bring them back this year. Second year players who now understand what we want from them... and the speed/power of the NFL.

As if this wasn't enough, we've added Hunt and Kindley through this year's draft... plus Davis, if Hunt wins the RT job.

That is 5 potential Guards for one spot. C'mon guys... how many Guards does one team need? It would be different if we were expecting to compete for a Lombardi trophy this year, but we are at least 2 years away from that... and that's assuming Tua works out.

Stop chasing shiny objects... we aren't cats, and Warford isn't a laser... or young either.

No... just no.

Tend to 100% agree. Beyond the points made I get the feeling going after Warford violates
the directives established by Grier/Flores -- too much $$$ for an older vet who IMO would
not be an ideal fit into our longer term plans... We've made some significant investments
in the OL and now we have to bank on them paying dividends. Until proven otherwise I'm
looking at the OL as being significantly improved via acquisitions and player development.

Bigger question IMO is coaching -- specifically Steve Marshall.

Tend to 100% agree. Beyond the points made I get the feeling going after Warford violates
the directives established by Grier/Flores -- too much $$$ for an older vet who IMO would
not be an ideal fit into our longer term plans... We've made some significant investments
in the OL and now we have to bank on them paying dividends. Until proven otherwise I'm
looking at the OL as being significantly improved via acquisitions and player development.

Bigger question IMO is coaching -- specifically Steve Marshall.
He would be a nice one year addition if the Dolphins were a legitimate SB contender who were in need of a quality guard to get the OL over the hump for one season.
Yet the Dolphins are still in rebuilding mode and they are rebuilding around the young players. By the time they become legitimate SB contender, Warford will likely be retired or playing out the end of his career and likely not be a pro bowl caliber guard anymore.

Progress stopper for all the young pups,Develop our own. Get close to the target then add a free agent or 2 to shore up problem areas

2019 Season Stats
Offense Snaps Played
970 27th
Penalties
6T-16th
Sacks Allowed
2T-34th

2019 Player Grades
Edge
Overall

Anyone hoping Dieter and Calhoun develop into starters are wishing upon stars. Warford would defintely improve this line.

When was the last time this team had an offensive lineman that was a probowler? Jake Long? When was the last time this oline was decent? During the Jake Long years.

This team is starved for proven offensive lineman. All of these guys are unproven commodities other than Flowers and Karras who are far from Probowlers.

This oline is far from fixed and anyone thinking we have done all we could do are very wrong.

Anyone hoping Dieter and Calhoun develop into starters are wishing upon stars. Warford would defintely improve this line.

When was the last time this team had an offensive lineman that was a probowler? Jake Long? When was the last time this oline was decent? During the Jake Long years.

This team is starved for proven offensive lineman. All of these guys are unproven commodities other than Flowers and Karras who are far from Probowlers.

This oline is far from fixed and anyone thinking we have done all we could do are very wrong.
Albert and Incognito both made the pro bowl since Jake Long but you are correct that the Dolphins have not exactly been loaded on the offensive line in quite some time. Yet I would rather they build the line around the younger players and if they need to add a veteran to the offensive line in a few years, once the rebuilding process is further along that would make sense. Right now they are still in rebuilding mode and
I really don’t see the need for a veteran like Warford at this time.

Back
Top Bottom