We now control our own destiny for the #1 pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We now control our own destiny for the #1 pick

Hell have you watched our skill guys the last 2 games? I’d argue we left at least 20 points on the board in the first half the last 2 games just off drops, fumbles and missed FGs, and thats without a run game.

If we get #1 overall, thats fine, but 4 games in my goal is not to actively root for being the worst team in the NFL. That can happen organically, Im about seeing what the current option can get accomplished.
Are you watching the Colts though? Mack, who isn't like... super great... is running amok because that line is ridiculous. That's what I want. Idgaf who the RB is. If you're getting 3 yards before you're touched and going for it on 3rd/4th and short is automatic, your offense is going to be hard to stop, especially with a QB who is as talented as Tua is. Run the ball and playaction = a good offense.

If you agree with all that, then Josh Rosen squeezing 4 or 5 wins, nixing Tua out, and building up the assets around him doesn’t seem like that bad of a decision, and if he falls flat in 2020 Im pretty sure there will be another cant miss guy in 2021 everybody will be screaming about and we can shoot our shot with a potential new regime and a QB can come into a proper scenario.

Just saying it doesn’t all ride on the #1 pick. We can be just as optimistic with vast improvement from the start of 2019 to the end.
Except Tua is the best prospect to come around since Luck. Every year is different, and 2021 isn't going to be as good of a crop. I'm including Lawrence in there as well.

Like it or not, 16 of the last 20 Super Bowls were won by guys drafted pick #10 and beyond and the top 6 QBs right now were pick 10 and beyond.

If they were “no brainer” they would go #1 overall, nobody is saying that.

Yea it ain’t easy to find them, but they are there and in some circumstances right in our face.

You started off well and then ruined it. If they were "right in your face" then why did other teams pass on them? I know we like to dump on Miami constantly but why did teams that don't have a Brees/Brady pass on the "right in your face" superstars?

I am just gonna quote this post for an overall greater point.

The first overall pick has been vastly overrated on this site.

Mahomes
Watson
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rogers

6 best QBs in the NFL, all 6 could of been had with Miami with 10th overall or lower.

Have conviction on a guy first and foremost. Dicking around with Tannehill, should of made a move more Deshaun Watson.

Not having the first overall should not be a decade long death sentence, that narrative is just crazy talk. Most important thing in 2019 is not "tanking", its current roster player/coaching development.

Tua ain't saving this team if the surrounding group doesn't get better.
Another amazing observation wow!!

You started off well and then ruined it. If they were "right in your face" then why did other teams pass on them? I know we like to dump on Miami constantly but why did teams that don't have a Brees/Brady pass on the "right in your face" superstars?

Because they likely had a QB they thought could be that already and I listed Miami’s “potential franchise guys” they thought they had, in another post.

You have to decide if those guys were worth passing up on Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, or attempting to trade up in 2017 instead of thinking Tannehill was gonna recover from a season ending knee surgery with stem cells treatment over surgery.

I give the Cardinals credit, they didn’t settle on Rosen and took Murray. It doesn’t guarantee that Murray will have a better career than Rosen but you can’t be complacent at the QB position, especially if the one you covet can be reasonably obtained.

Are you watching the Colts though? Mack, who isn't like... super great... is running amok because that line is ridiculous. That's what I want. Idgaf who the RB is. If you're getting 3 yards before you're touched and going for it on 3rd/4th and short is automatic, your offense is going to be hard to stop, especially with a QB who is as talented as Tua is. Run the ball and playaction = a good offense.

Watched him last night, I felt like I was watching Leveon Bell at times.

He may indeed be “super great”, but the OLine definitely is a key factor in that.

Watched him last night, I felt like I was watching Leveon Bell at times.

He may indeed be “super great”, but the OLine definitely is a key factor in that.
I want Tua and 5 Quentin Nelsons. I'd bully everybody.

Except Tua is the best prospect to come around since Luck. Every year is different, and 2021 isn't going to be as good of a crop. I'm including Lawrence in there as well.

I just dont look so far ahead. We can control 2019 and we can control our team developing and making strides in becoming a better team.

Man I can only imagine if Tua stayed another season while we have the #1 pick. Again not likely, but not in our control either.

Yea he has won 6, #1 overall Mannings won 4 . . . the other 10? Pick #15 overall or later. Its nots really cherry picking.

I agree it is the easiest way, not because of Tua, because you have your pick of the litter . . . Still have to make the correct decision.

But they have to develop other key areas of this team or it just wont matter.

Let's broaden the database. QBs who APPEARED in the SB - not just winners. And I'll use 2008>17 (I want to give QBs time to adjust to the NFL).

12 different QBs. 4 were drafted in top 10 of R1. 3 were drafted lower in R1 (picks 11, 18, 24). 4 drafted R2 or lower. To me, all that proves is there's more to a SB team than a QB

If you agree with all that, then Josh Rosen squeezing 4 or 5 wins, nixing Tua out, and building up the assets around him doesn’t seem like that bad of a decision, and if he falls flat in 2020 Im pretty sure there will be another cant miss guy in 2021 everybody will be screaming about and we can shoot our shot with a potential new regime and a QB can come into a proper scenario.

Just saying it doesn’t all ride on the #1 pick. We can be just as optimistic with vast improvement from the start of 2019 to the end.

All true.

That's why the safest plan is the strength in numbers philosophy.

This franchise needs to do everything in its power to keep a healthy stock pile of draft picks through the next 5 years.

So much is being made about tanking for one guy. Personally, if I were ever going to rebuild a franchise, I'd do it with as many first round draft picks as possible. Only seems logical. Hiring a new coach and telling him to find a college QB he likes enough to risk his coaching future on seems dumb.

I like Tua, I like Josh Rosen, I like Chase Young. I LOVE having more draft equity then the rest of the NFL. Flexibility is the key moving forward. If this franchise can parlay it's current draft arsenal and extend it into 2022, 2023 and 2024 that would have a bigger impact than any individual player could.

New England won the super bowl 10-3 last year without a TD pass from Tom Brady.

There is no set formula for hoisting Lombardi's.

Let's broaden the database. QBs who APPEARED in the SB - not just winners. And I'll use 2008>17 (I want to give QBs time to adjust to the NFL).

12 different QBs. 4 were drafted in top 10 of R1. 3 were drafted lower in R1 (picks 11, 18, 24). 4 drafted R2 or lower. To me, all that proves is there's more to a SB team than a QB
Correct. I could definitely win a SB with Trent Dilfter. Do I want to build my team that way though?

There's a reason why a lot of the times Championship game participants are the same names that you hear over and over again. QB gives the team consistency because that QB is the leeway needed to stack the rest of the team out with talent in other places.

Having an elite QB raises your floor, not necessarily your ceiling. You don't need one to win a Super Bowl at all, but you do need one if you aspire to be an annual playoff contender. In the salary cap era, it's too hard to hold on to the rest of your collection of talent that got you there.

Back
Top Bottom